1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got me a Marshall DSL1

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AndrewG, Sep 3, 2020.

1. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

What a cool little amp; well made, well spec'd and sounds great for its size, taking into consideration the obvious limitations of its 8" speaker and cabinet volume. I was also surprised how loud the little guy gets for its one watt rating; a decent amount of bass response too, and the digital reverb works impressively well. There's also a power reduction button if you need to whisper. Everyone should have one for satisfying home practise.

cbh5150, uriah1, xStonr and 2 others like this.
  2. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Enjoy. I have a DSL5 combo and a DSL1 head, the 50th Anniversary mode. Cool little amps.

3. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

I had the DSL1 combo for awhile, and it was surprisingly good, and yes, could get loud. It was certainly better than the comparable Blackstar HT1MkII, which, even with it’s different voicings, sounded absolutely anemic in comparison.

4. BWoods

BWoods TDPRI Member

I once owned the Blackstar HT1R (sold) and currently have the Marshall DSL1CR. Really no comparison. The Marshall is in a completely different class and delivers the Marshall tone where the Blackstar was just meh. The Blackstar did have a headphone output which with it's small size made it convenient to take with me when I had to travel for work. Pretty decent headphone emulation which was great for passing evenings in the hotel room, but other than that i would take the Marshall any day of the week.

The sound out of the 8" Greenback is OK but it really comes to life when I plug it into my Classic 115E cab. It has really nice bass and a great full sound. I have parked next to my Classic 50 head so it is convenient to plug into the 115E. I probably play the Classic 50 more, but the DSL1CR is a nice change when I need to play at lower volumes.

I usually play cranked on the clean channel into the 115E. Great for AC-DC type stuff. With that said I would probably be just as happy with the head version, but the combo is nice and portable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.