Got an electric car

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
Since I was 16 i have been repairing, maintaining, rebuilding ICE cars. I'm still enjoying it at 50. I have saved a ton of money over my lifetime, doing my own work. This extra money went into guitars, tube amps and tons more! What the heck is a person to do when an EV needs repairs? Lol. I relent and admit my wife's next vehicle will highly likely be an EV. A hybrid. I am going to hang on to to one of my old 1938 ICE cars as long as I can. So I have something I can tinker on at least. Lol.

I just rebuilt this. I gotta wear it out to get my investment back in smiles per mile! :)

IMG_0748.jpg

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Serious question - Do EV's have to have some sort of special power contraption in order to charge them up i.e. Can I not just plug into my 120v socket, or are they already building them so you'd have to rely on stations like we do now for gas?

Ours came with a 110 volt trickle charger but it would take three days or so to charge it to full that way.
We installed a 240 line.

I’m just learning about the exciting world of adapters

Space Pickle

Tele-Meister
Serious question - Do EV's have to have some sort of special power contraption in order to charge them up i.e. Can I not just plug into my 120v socket, or are they already building them so you'd have to rely on stations like we do now for gas?

It depends on the capacity of your battery. My car has a 40kWh battery, and although I've installed the 240v circuit I've never actually needed to use it...the regular 115v plug has been sufficient. You only ever need a sufficient charge to get through the day, as opposed to the gas station mentality of "filling up".

On some of the newer cars with larger batteries you would probably want the 240v circuit.

ronzhd

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I love to see people fill their need for speed in as many ways as possible! Nice fleet! (I always get smacked with technicalities not an issue, lol)

851Termi_m.jpg

I kind of have a thing for them.
Garage.jpg

And yes, I did name my dog "Desmo" (RIP, big guy). Like I said, I'm a bit of a fan.

Edit 2: Slow day here so I'll add more backstory. A few years ago I owned the car pictured below. I came out of a store one beautiful summer day to find a Range Rover parked near it and a couple having a conversation. He was saying "... but they are so DANGEROUS!". I considered giving him the same response I gave here, but instead said nothing, just smiled at her when I walked by and got into it. The look on her face made me think she did not share his fear of older vehicles.

IMG_2641_m.jpg
[/QUOTE]

ghostchord

Tele-Holic

On my Tesla model 3 SR+ I got about 6 km/hr on 120V. They come with the 120V adapter. I later bought a 240V 40A charger and so you get about 8 times faster charging out of that. I didn't really need it but the government offered rebates so I thought why not. If I drive the car to work it's about 30km there. So 10 hours makes up for that pretty much. If you're doing a lot more driving you probably want the faster charger. A Tesla SuperCharger is the equivalent of a gas station and it charges an empty battery to ~80% in 20-30 minutes (which can be 400km of range or more depending on the model). I've used it on longer road trips, otherwise no need for a "gas station". If you don't want a fancy charger you can also get somewhat faster charging out of your dryer's 240V plug or equivalent.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Someone left out (most) of the valve springs...

I used to work on Desmo valvetrains, it took me a bit to figure out all of the specifics to make everything right...

View attachment 935685

I just recently completed adjusting the valves on a '96ish 900ss. It reminded me that anyone who thinks desmo Ducatis don't have springs in the valvetrain has never adjusted the valves or replaced the timing belts on one. Well, streetbikes anyway. Some race bikes don't use them. And not all Ducatis are desmos, but that's getting even further down the rabbit hole.

Anywhos, before the natives get all restless and stuff, I'll quote a bit from a recent press release to try to bring this just a little more on topic;

"starting from the 2023 season (Ducati) will be the sole official supplier of motorcycles for the FIM Enel MotoE World Cup, the electric class of the MotoGP World Championship."

Yep, bikes are going electric too. Were I a younger guy I'd be pretty excited about some of the new offerings. My days of riding (current) pure sports bikes are pretty much over though, and those are the only electric bikes that pique my curiousity.

PS: The irony of an RZ fan posting details on a desmo valvetrain is not lost on me. :)

Full racing Ducs don't as a rule have valve springs. The street bikes have light ones only for starting ease reasons.

Norton's ultimate development of its 500cc GP single cylinder had a full desmodromic head with no springs. In first gear clutch engaged, you could walk the bike. As soon as you started to push it faster it developed compression.

The main reason for this was to enable push starting which lasted until the 80s. It was noted the motor was slightly faster/more powerful but compared to multicylinder and coming two strokes it was a waste of time.considering cost and complexity.

Cosworth said a full GP V8 from the eighties took 80hp or about 1/10th peak hp to drive it's valve gear, because of 32 valves with double springs to support 8-9,000 rpm. That's a lot of inertia, and a lot of hard valvesprings adding resistance and drag of lobes on followers.

With the positive opening and closing of valves, lower inertia of the lighter mechanism plus importantly low drag of the Desmo system even the might of Honda gives way. It's just embarrassing when the Ducatis don't even have to slipstream the other bikes, and the other bikes can't stay in their slipstream. The Ducs not only produce more power, but because hitting a valve on a piston is almost impossible it gives them fantastic overrev ability. You can use two pissy rubber bands to drive two cams and four valves a cylinder.

The limiting factor for a Desmo motor is piston speed and how many revs the crank, bearings and cases can take. On the homologation Superbike v-twins new cases every 1000 racing km on the 916/955/996 based bikes or they'd crack. With the V4s they're a lot more durable.

Last edited:

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
The blessing would be to never hear a Harley or any of these Ducati scream type motorcycles ever again. They would all be real men if they could operate quietly. The noise is offensive, almost as offensive as fireworks.

rz350

Friend of Leo's
This thing is quieter than my minivan and still makes around 145 horsepower on the rear wheel, and goes 157 MPH on GPS, I like stealth too.....

thumbnail (18).jpg

The blessing would be to never hear a Harley or any of these Ducati scream type motorcycles ever again. They would all be real men if they could operate quietly. The noise is offensive, almost as offensive as fireworks.

rz350

Friend of Leo's
Since I was 16 i have been repairing, maintaining, rebuilding ICE cars. I'm still enjoying it at 50. I have saved a ton of money over my lifetime, doing my own work. This extra money went into guitars, tube amps and tons more! What the heck is a person to do when an EV needs repairs? Lol. I relent and admit my wife's next vehicle will highly likely be an EV. A hybrid. I am going to hang on to to one of my old 1938 ICE cars as long as I can. So I have something I can tinker on at least. Lol.

I just rebuilt this. I gotta wear it out to get my investment back in smiles per mile! :)

View attachment 935965

Chrysler/Dodge flathead 6 I'm guessing?

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
On my Tesla model 3 SR+ I got about 6 km/hr on 120V. They come with the 120V adapter. I later bought a 240V 40A charger and so you get about 8 times faster charging out of that. I didn't really need it but the government offered rebates so I thought why not. If I drive the car to work it's about 30km there. So 10 hours makes up for that pretty much. If you're doing a lot more driving you probably want the faster charger. A Tesla SuperCharger is the equivalent of a gas station and it charges an empty battery to ~80% in 20-30 minutes (which can be 400km of range or more depending on the model). I've used it on longer road trips, otherwise no need for a "gas station". If you don't want a fancy charger you can also get somewhat faster charging out of your dryer's 240V plug or equivalent.
I bought the home charger but haven't had it installed yet, I've been home charging off of a 240V extension cord from the 240V dryer outlet. Works just fine. The charger would give me marginally faster charging though.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Paying for battery replacement in a purchase price doesn't mean recycling will happen in an industry that really doesn't exist in any scale. Yes, they do it. On a scale that is manageable right now. Just wait. Most if it will go back into the ground where it came from. You can hope for the best.

Paying for plastic recycling amounts to a storage fee. Have you seen the mountains of plastic bales that sit around? They used to get exported to China. I don't see that plastic island in the Pacific getting any smaller either. We'll just jump from one cause to another.

I do not believe it is sustainable. It's a bill of goods. Most people do not have the disposable income to afford them, only the rich or upper middle class can afford them. So is the plan to eliminate most drivers to save the environment? The whole idea creates more pollution in manufacturing and then the waste piles of batteries that can not be disposed of.

More misinformation. Tesla is just now dealing with the disposal issue. They bury it in Nevada. Show me your lithium recycle plants.

Solar cells cannot be recycled. They get buried.

Wind mills don't last long, and many get buried. Some recycling goes on for steel and copper, the rest is buried or abandoned.

The next generation will figure it out. Like every generation.

The Wall St. Journal that's hardly a "tree hugger" bible has had some more good article including today's about steel makers buying recycling firms and them getting into what used to be the junk business all to insure a product pipeline for the good news 20% increase in USA domestic steel production.

A whole lot of it is addressing car makers and others reversing a trend and going back to more vertical operations.

The recent editions and links from the articles also verified a lot about lithium and recycling for the battery cathodes. The only thing not abundant with Lithium is one nation has been dominant in processing it. The car and first tier electronics makers are very much moving towards more vertical manufacturing that will change that. Same time raw material costs have gone up, making better cells cost is 1/9 (see article linked earlier) what it was a decade ago so things don't look as bad as the naysayers think.

Since this I've followed some meeting minutes on the city council committee I used to be on and discussed some thinks with current members. One has what used to be my ski club board seat. I learned because we (my city) chose the take on cost and ethics or moral move, much of solar panels being upgraded was recycled but it can't be 100%. It was still a net benefit over the old status quo - everything powered by coal and natural gas. The solar replacements also met the payback claimed in the originals sale.

If you jump on the bandwagon to recycle where market prices don't directly support all of it you have new era options such as fabric makers who are all about recycling content. That's growing. Admittedly, it is product with premium prices. Some of that is really interesting such as fishing net recyclers or the fiber or fabric based insulation car makers are using to replace foam. It's not just Patagonia clothing anymore.

Recycling isn't as bleak as many say it is. It's a bit like past historical decisions where some decided to no longer pee and crap in the water they drink. That leads to something else interesting. Some rural and farming friends where ag has contaminated their water tables are reconsidering the costs to live with a smaller foot print. A farmer friend on his township board says now they have more recycling options - decided to pay for it - as they grapple with the costs of needing wells up to hundreds of feet and each one $ 10s of thousands more expensive.

I don't have answers for someone who wants to live like freedom means it's just fine to make your slice of the pie a rectangle in the center of it. You can do it but it is sort of against Homo Sapiens being social animals and best behavior.

What I could find on Tesla and batteries in Nevada is in the past year they completed a major phase of their Nevada factory getting them to that published goal of 92% materials recovery. An investor and Tesla stock owner friend said there were fake news memes and pundit stuff about the burying, and I thought it seemed silly to spend $ billions to make a manufacturing plant to cover up burying batteries when a shell of a building could be made for much less money.

Edit: I struggled to get all the links for reference not behind paywall. There's also been interesting news on a Michigan packaging firm that's making a huge bet for paper replacing lots of things that have been plastic.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/steelm...ydw2tvvyyw1&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
We got just shy of seven inches of snow this week and I postponed my trip south till next week. Meanwhile I've been reading about how cold weather decreases battery performance, and it's pretty significant. Driving to go skiing in West Virgina we'd have to be careful about managing the charging. I ordered an adapter that lets my car charge at tesla's regular chargers--not the "superchargers," but the level 2 chargers.

It has a reverse beep that I'm looking to disable., My neighbors really don't need to hear that. On the internet I've found non destructive and reversible ways to temporarily disable the beep. Apparently all EVs have to have a reverse beep, because god forbid things should be more quiet

But driving the car around town is a blast.

xjazzy

Friend of Leo's
We got just shy of seven inches of snow this week and I postponed my trip south till next week. Meanwhile I've been reading about how cold weather decreases battery performance, and it's pretty significant. Driving to go skiing in West Virgina we'd have to be careful about managing the charging. I ordered an adapter that lets my car charge at tesla's regular chargers--not the "superchargers," but the level 2 chargers.

It has a reverse beep that I'm looking to disable., My neighbors really don't need to hear that. On the internet I've found non destructive and reversible ways to temporarily disable the beep. Apparently all EVs have to have a reverse beep, because god forbid things should be more quiet

Mine has no bip on reverse! It only makes those spaceship noises whenever it is moving.

homesick345

Poster Extraordinaire
Congrats on your new vehicle.

While I like the idea of EVs, the current crop are impractical for me due to ranges I often have to drive, charging times and the lack of charging stations in rural-ish areas where I have to travel to for business from time to time.

View attachment 935087

A simple idea EV cars could explore; is external battery/power-banks for cars, that you could load in your trunk & plug for a cool 100-200 miles extra, when you have to travel

Another idea; is an trunk compartment for a small honda gasoline generator (say EU20i) which could be also operated from the trunk (with reserved space & exhaust etc..) to use in emergencies where you could fill it from any normal gas station

Last edited:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you're enjoying it. We had a wicked cold snap here too (~10F mornings), and it’s wild to watch the range decline at those temperatures. Still, I drive it 10 miles per day if that and "need" to charge it maybe every three or four days. Maybe a new thing on the reverse beeping, but our '17 doesn't have do it.
A simple idea EV cars could explore; is external battery/power-banks for cars, that you could load in your trunk & plug for a cool 100-200 miles extra, when you have to travel

Another idea; is an trunk compartment for a small honda gasoline generator (say EU20i) which could be also operated from the trunk (with reserved space & exhaust etc..) to use in emergencies where you could fill it from any normal gas station
1) Fast swap technology is getting better or at least drawing a lot of VC, but the batteries aren't meant to take along with you as they're extremely heavy. The Tesla Model S weighs nearly as much as my F-150... about 4,700lbs.

2) The first two iterations of the BMW i3 (and I think the original Volt?) have this as an option, called a "Range Extender." It's a 2-cyl engine based on one of their scooter motor that recharges the battery vs driving the wheels but gives you another ~50 miles of range beyond the battery. They've since gone with a larger battery obviating the REx, but it's been done.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Just a short comment with a thought exercise. Take note of the I95 backup and the similar backups in the Sierras and elsewhere of the last few days. Imagine if those people stuck for 24 hrs or more were driving electrics. How many would have succumbed to exposure? How long would it take to clear the jam if every vehicle had to be towed to a charging station?