Got an electric car

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My 2017 Prius only has 65K miles on it, still have a couple hundred thousand to go.

20161106_224142573_iOS.jpg

Toyota is finally coming out with a fully electric BEV in 2023 with the bZ4X.
I won't be ready to move on from the Prius by then, but I am looking forward to seeing where they are when I am.

We will see about the time frame, but we should start seeing Solid State batteries soon.
Should be a huge leap forward in density and recharging times.
Looks like they are planning for the bZ4X to use this technology.

Toyota’s 2021 Solid State Battery: What You Need To Know (insideevs.com)
Toyota Outlines Solid-State Battery Tech, $13.6 Billion Investment (motortrend.com)
Toyota has a number of BEVs in the works, promising 10 "new lines" of these vehicles by 2025 and a further 10 per year, totaling 70 lines of BEVs, through 2030. It will spend the vast majority of its battery investment to support this buildout of a BEV lineup. Total production capacity is intended to be flexible, able to accommodate 200 GWh if needed.

I may be focusing on Toyota here, but these kinds of investments in EVs and Battery Technology are happening throughout the industry.
Some exciting things are going to happen in the next few years...

2023 Toyota bZ4X | All-Electric SUV

BZ4_MY23_0020_V001.jpg

Last edited:

daddyplaysbass

Tele-Afflicted
My 2015 Chevy Volt has only 65K miles one it. GM had the idea, a small gasoline engine that charges the drive battery when it is out of charge, as long as I have a few gallons of fuel, I never worry about charging stations or being stranded. I plug it into a 120V outlet in the garage. The brain trust at GM killed the Volt around 2019. Only maint was replacing the 12V battery in Jul 2021, and tires at the same time. I have the oil changed once a year "just because" Too narrow for Jazz bass in the case; it fits from the trunk, over the rear seat console, Rumble amp and gear junk fits in back, room for 4 passengers. Will probably replace it wit an EV when the time comes.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
So, when you lease, how do you handle the charging part? Is there a separate charger part of the deal, or how does that work? It seems like there's an installation step, or is the charger built into the vehicle? If you visit a friend or family too far for a round trip charge, it doesn't seem you can just plug into their wall, or can you? 280-300 miles is nothing for a trip. I'd still have to keep a gas car just to make a summer trip in the same day. Around town (the other 90% of the time) an EV may work but I have motorcycles for that.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
At 10k less $ and 50 mpg, I'd probably go for the plug in Hybrid. But cool either way!

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't see 'disposal' or 'recycle' mentioned.

Lithium has a limited window. It's a rare metal. Most lithium is being used for power grid storage experiments right now, not for EV's. Lithium will either be depleted or not cost effective by 2040.

We're not trading problem A for problem B. We're keeping problem A and adding problems B, C, and D in the long run. But it's progress.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
How are they on icy roads.

AWD?

No personal experience so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that EVs do as well if not better on snow and ice than the comparable gas vehicle. AWD obviously makes a big difference. One advantage to EVs in snow is that they tend to be heavier than a comparable gas vehicle and have lower centers of gravity due to the battery placement on the bottom of the car. The bigger cold weather issue with EVs is that the battery performance can be impacted which results in a decrease in driving range.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
At 10k less $ and 50 mpg, I'd probably go for the plug in Hybrid. But cool either way!

I’m still kinda torn on that. Things are moving rapidly, and the manufactures are all on board (more or less) toward an ICE-less future. I’ve no need to purchase a new(er) car right now. And with two kids in college, I have financial motivations to not take on new debt. My 2015 ICE car will get me through the next 5 or so years no problem.

At some point I’m gonna have to take the plunge on a full EV. Part of me will mourn the death of ICE, and I see restoring a vintage vehicle in my future, once the kiddos are more or less independent. But having grown up in smoggy SoCAL, I say good riddance to tail pipe emissions.

The best plan for me is to wait a little longer, as we really don’t know what things will look like, even 5 years from now.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
Unfortunately our garage is too small to be able to fit anything larger than a small hatchback. If we can sell our place and move to a house with a larger garage the first thing I would do is get an EV.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I have no need for high torque from standstill. I want one that will go off-road. I know I’m a small segment of the demographic but I know what I want

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I had the first year Toyota Camry Hybrid. I can't remember the mileage/mpg stats but I was not overly impressed. Had SUV's after that. Well my lease was up 4 months ago and I couldn't find anything I liked in the SUV world. I saw the Camry Hybrid and went for it. I blazed a drive from Phoenix to North Los Angeles. I assume the car is getting close to 50 mpg in town. But it was only getting 44 mpg whilst I clipped along from 85-93 mph.

HERE, is my big question. I am guessing the dream would be to have solar collectors connected to batteries for extra storage. But for giggles, does anyone know how many collectors one would need to plug direct into a converter so you could charge the car during the day.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
I leased a 2017 KIa Niro hybrid. We liked it so much that we leased a 2019. It’s the best car for our needs I could have hoped for - including running from Hurricane Irma to Chicago and back to South Florida.

Kia doesn’t offer the full EV in our market. Only the hybrid version. But that works well for us.

Good luck with yours, and here’s hoping you like it even more!

beninma

Friend of Leo's
I didn't see 'disposal' or 'recycle' mentioned.

Lithium has a limited window. It's a rare metal. Most lithium is being used for power grid storage experiments right now, not for EV's. Lithium will either be depleted or not cost effective by 2040.

We're not trading problem A for problem B. We're keeping problem A and adding problems B, C, and D in the long run. But it's progress.

This is total misinformation. Even the US has plenty of lithium. We just stopped mining it to buy it cheaper elsewhere. (It’s not really mining iirc).

We used to be the #1 producer through 1980, we used it for nuclear weapons.

Also recycling, it is a thing.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I've been driving a Tesla Model 3 for 3&1/2 years now and can honestly say best car I've ever driven and saving me tons of money. The stock has treated me pretty good too... ;) (Was so impressed with the car that I bought a small chunk of stock that's worth almost $100K now).