Got a spare kidney..... bean?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Preacher, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

As someone who really started to get into guitar in the late 90's I remember when these came out. I had a kid in one of the worship bands I was in bring one with him to rehearsal one time.

And for some reason we all, and when I say, "WE" I mean guitarist one and all hated these little units.

If you still have one laying around, check this out, and maybe blow your friends mind at your next rehearsal.

Toadtele, preactor and haggardfan1 like this.
  2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I have one that was given to me. I got as far as buying a power supply, but I've never tried it out. :oops:

Now I'm intrigued; this is the second such video I've seen here lately and I want to put it into service.

3. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Whoops! What's that parked between the ES-335 and the G&L S-500 in the studio back in 2009? It's a POD! I did a lot of sessions on it and I still have it (and the BAG) and the Floorboard because of one sound it does better than any unit I've tried. It is a Blackface through a 2x12 with a touch of both reverb and delay. When you kick in the wah and then put your foot on both wah and volume pedals and fade in it does this amazing crying sound with warm delay. I put it on a preset.

I'm working a Helix now but I still love my little kidney bean. Oh, and I still have my old page about the POD 2.0 up over HERE.

Bob

OmegaWoods and haggardfan1 like this.
  4. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

I was thinking this was an organ thread. Can't help you with either. I'm lucky l have one in my body thanks to a donor. No joke. I would not be here if someone didn't have a spare. Please Donate. Thanks and keep on picking!

TwoBear, klasaine, Shango66 and 5 others like this.
  5. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I would give this more likes if I could. Stay healthy and blessed.

TwoBear likes this.
  6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

They're trash in retrospect but i recall my neighbor having one and it being leaps and bounds ahead of the digitech and zoom multipedals.

Didn't age well, and the behringer copy aged even worse.
    The early 2000s digital stuff all sounds like the Spyder II combo amps to me. My dad had the Digitech rp80 or 300 or something, and was adamant that it was better to have 8 "good" effects in the unit than buy 8 pedals. Stuck to that belief for about a year. Only pedal I've seen him touch in about 15 years is a modded blues driver. And the neighbor?
    He borrowed my small clone about a year after buying the PoD. He needed chorus that sounded good and had basic controls for a few gigs before he was going to buy his own.

Modern digital wouldn't exist without those things from 20 years ago. But effects on the Fractal and Helix sound more like rack unit delays than the digital multi units (fortunately).

7. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I had a lot of Line 6 stuff back in the day. Really liked the XT, the 2.0 was okay.

I’d bet I could get some good tones out of it with a decent PA or into a decent amp.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I was inspired by a fellow guitarist that raved about his bean enough for me to buy a portable Line 6 amp with all of the effects.

We both tired of them fairly quickly.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Played in a band with a fiddle player who used one. Rarely saw him smile. Coincidence?

I think he used it mostly as a pre-amp.

10. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a pod pro rack unit, I have had no issues with it and it sounds OK to me and no where as generic as a TS 9 or blues driver
    I also have 2 active ART SGX 2000 , basically the same thing , for studio applications I see no issues.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  12. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I used the original Bean POD in the studio for about 10 years before I began my update path eventually landing on a Helix.

I didn't have a problem with the amp tones in those Beans.... it was the versatility (effects and effect chains) that was lacking, and headroom on the clean amp models.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

It was an interesting review by JHS.

Somewhere after 18mins in this Andertons video, Lee talks about the POD and how it really does hold up and whenever a pedal/etc company rep asks them (as a dealer) what they should make like a Helix/etc/etc he says to make an updated POD.

Perhaps an updated product that matches the POD application. Rectangular to fit a pedal board. Looks like price is quite high compared to a used POD though...

14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I am really interested in the Pod Go, I think it would do my setup well.

15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I still have and use a Line 6 POD vs 1 in studio.

No one has ever figured out that I’m using a digital preamp on our recordings—most people say, “Wow, your Vibroverb sounds great!”
    “Yep, it sure does…but that ain’t my VV…”

codamedia and 24 track like this.
  16. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Line 6 created the POD Go to fit into that same market as the original PODs.... which they were missing out on because the Helix was a higher end product.

The price of a POD Go isn't much different than the original Bean if you take inflation into account. Of course the cost is quite high compared to a USED POD, that should just be a given.... it's also a lot more product than the original BEAN was.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  17. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I can pull a sound from a line 6 pod.
    A line 6 spider amp on the other hand…nah

18. preactor

preactor Tele-Afflicted

I have the POD xt. Love the stereo sounds. I have used it in studio settings where it seems to do OK. One day I would like to try it straight to the PA. My biggest hangup is I hate a lot of cords...guitar in, output, headphones, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.