1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got a parlor

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by swervinbob, Jan 21, 2021.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I was wanting a smaller size, cheaper acoustic to keep around for writing and couch/bed playing. Grabbed a demo PRS SE Parlor P20 from Sweetwater. Pulled it out of the bag, it was in tune, plays like a dream, and with the small body sounds good enough. I needed to get back to work and I didn’t want to put t down. I’ll post pictures later.

studio1087, Matt Sarad, bsman and 3 others like this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I want to want a parlor but...
    I don’t care for boxy sounding guitars at all.
    I’d have to play it first.

3. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! I recently got a Gretsch parlor guitar. I've always favored my electrics, but I love this little parlor guitar. It's perfect for sitting on the couch, but with the sound hole pickup it sounds surprisingly good with my band too. Enjoy!

swervinbob likes this.
  4. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

What are the neck width and string spacing like on those guitars? I wouldn’t mind getting a parlor guitar one of these days, but my long spindly fingers need some space to make the chord shapes! :(

5. bendercaster

That boxy sound was the main reason I had stayed away from them. And they definitely can sound boxy, but I discovered a few things after having one: (1) the sound opens up after playing it a bit, (2) they make great acoustic electrics (no feedback), and (3) that boxy sound is more prevalent to you, when you are sitting behind it playing it, than it is to the audience. Sitting in front of my son while he played it, it was much louder and open sounding that I perceived it while I was playing it.

6. swervinbob

3A790C8F-CCFB-4B03-8AEA-12EBF62F6D64.png

7. swervinbob

I noticed that it was pretty boxy when I was playing it. I turned it around and grabbed a chord and strummed it a little and it projects pretty good. A lot of mids in this one.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  8. bendercaster

Interesting. That is pretty close to a Gibson electric scale length, so not super short scale. I bet it is pretty comfy to play, especially with that nut width and wide fat neck profile.

Mission6_OG likes this.
  9. swervinbob

Yeah. I’ve only had a few minutes with it so far. I’m sure it serve the purpose I bought it for. Typical PRS. In tune and plays well out of the box.

Mission6_OG likes this.
  10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The ones I build are typically 24.5 scale and 1-3/4 at the nut, 20 inch radius, 12 frets clear. I think that is pretty common for true parlors. I think "boxy" is a good term to describe their sound, mine certainly have a rounded bass and are amazingly loud. I think they have a fairly quick attack and short sustain which you may or may not like.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    PhredE, bendercaster and swervinbob like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My (win the lottery-) dream parlour is a Goodall: http://goodallguitars.com/guitars/parlor/

25" scale, cutaway option, 12 or 14 fret neck joint. Nut width is 1 3/4" (with a slotted peghead it's 1 7/8" or 1 13/16").

P Thought and swervinbob like this.
  12. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

would need to be a specific style you’re after. I have a Martin 000-28 and a Gibson L2. Blues and general fingerstyle music sounds fantastic on the small bodies. If you’re playing rock, country, bluegrass, or generally any style that’s flat picked, stick with large bodies. Small bodies with a 1.75” fingerboard don’t sound or play good at all with a flatpick IMO.

P Thought, swervinbob and 985plowboy like this.
  13. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

swervinbob likes this.
  14. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am waiting to stumble on to a Martin 5-18 or 5-28. Marty's sounded pretty darn good back in the day!

swervinbob likes this.
  15. Freeman Keller

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I just posted this at another discussion about parlor guitars. The term "parlor" is not well defined in lutherie circles, certainly not like the other classic sizes. Many people, including me, consider a "parlor" to similar to a Martin size 0 or what some people call a "small concert" - typically 12 inches or less across the lower bout. Here are three guitars that more or less fit the Martin sizing, from left to right a single ought, double ought and 12 fret triple. The only one I consider a true parlor is the single

IMG_5638.JPG

However it really doesn't matter what you call them, small guitars are really quite wonderful and Paul Smith is building some really great acoustics - that has to be a winner.

16. swervinbob

Don’t worry about hijacking the thread. I don’t mind the discussion. I may want to try some more out now.

Mission6_OG and Boreas like this.
  17. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

congratulations! If I did not already own two parlor guitars (14 fret and 12 fret), I was eyeing the PRS.

Mission6_OG and swervinbob like this.
  18. Freeman Keller

I've built three of them, more or less based on Joan Baez's famous 0-42. The first was for my daughter - its kind of a girly guitar with lots of bling. Her spirit animal is the blue darner dragon fly so thats what I did for the inlay

IMG_0431 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

A year or so later a friend walked into my shop with an arm full of wood. He said "you can have the Madagascar, I want you to make a guitar for my daughter out of the Braz". Well, OK

IMG_2970A.jpg

IMG_2974A.jpg

The Mad rose one stayed with me, I don't mind playing a girly guitar

19. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

A link to the product specs/description:
    https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/acoustics/model/se_p20_2020

Solid mahogany top, looks like laminated back/sides.
    Bone nut and saddle +1

The side soundport is quite the innovation. The player can actually get a decent 'sample' of what the listener or audience might hear (I know, what a concept!?!?)

bendercaster and swervinbob like this.
  20. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

My latest acquisition is this lovely little lady:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.