1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got a new pedal today...

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by drmordo, Oct 23, 2020.

1. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

It's a Made By Mike (apparently a Scottish pedal maker) Ultralord. The Ultralord is a pretty nasty DIY fuzz design that hit DIYstompboxes with a minor splash about 10-12 years ago. I built one back then and loved it, but gave it away years ago. Instead of building one (I have much less free time these days), I figured I'd buy one.

It didn't work at all, so I broke it open.

Problems:

Footswitch wired incorrectly, no sound.
    First transistor socketed backwards.
    Broken diode.
    Battery wired so it powers the pedal even when the input cable is unplugged. He used a stereo plug, just didn't bother to wire it to disconnect the battery.

I got most of it sorted and it works if I push the diode back together with my finger (I fixed everything but the diode, I need to dig one out of my parts box), so I'm going to keep it, but I was kind of amazed at the QC issues. I cannot imagine building a pedal and selling it without testing it.

24 track likes this.
  2. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

drmordo and 24 track like this.
  3. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

It was second hand, but it looks unmolested. Also, the picture of the Ultralord on his website looks essentially identical to mine, to include the reversed transistor and mis-wired jack! Maybe reversed transistor works that way too??? I'll have to try it once it I get a diode in there.

The good news is while looking for the diode I found a bag of 100 NOS Fairchild 2N5089s. A dude is selling them on ebay for $5 each. I had no idea transistors had gone up so much. I may need to sell them and buy a guitar...

4. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

eBay guy is crazy :lol:

drmordo likes this.
  5. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

You may be right, but he's sold 14 so far!!!

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

In Scotland, the transitors are wired backwards...

...or is that the toilets in Australia?

I forget...

drmordo, superjam144 and TwoBear like this.
  7. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

A few random thoughts. I just got a $20 Dan Electro chicken salad-the uni vibe clone that had a bridged solder track right at the input. The pedal was new in box with paperwork the little plastic cover over the knobs the whole shmageggy. It was at Sam Ash I think they knew it was broken and probably just drug it out because they had nothing because of the cov19 crap. Works like a charm I'm thinking of gutting it and running the speed control out to a pedal... Actually makes sense just to put a mini jack on there with an output to a small box with a large knob. Little guys got the ldr and the four lightsjust like my original I sold for $100 back when I was a kid. Yeah I could use some 5089s for a couple mxr phase shifters that I have, they really sound best with specific runs or more to the point specific hfe. Just can't bring myself to spend big money on stuff... I had thousands and thousands of parts and they all got ripped off, you know how hard it is to buy a fret file for $20 when it cost me five bucks new I'm such a frugal bastard. And stubborn enough to put my speaker on a pedestal and spin it around before I pay some $5 for a 50 cent part. Oh hell I feel a rant coming on...haha

D'tar and drmordo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.