Got a most interesting call this morning

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tah1962, Jun 29, 2020.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Cool. For him. Current conditions mean I'm working from home at the moment, and I live next door to a golf course. I'm stuck at my desk, getting a sore neck, while I hear people going "Fore" all day long...

The more I think about it, this is actually quite tricky. It must be hard to know what's going on. There's exists the potential to offend him, but also the potential for burden for you. Good luck.

Pax/
    Dean

Jlwctn and tah1962 like this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Thanks. “Fore” Sorry I couldn’t resist. Take care.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Thanks. He told me that he’s keeping an acoustic and a mandolin. That means he’s planning on giving me all of his electrics. I believe he has a bass too.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

No matter what...you will do the right thing. Best wishes and best of luck choosing.

tah1962 likes this.
  5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Actually, I don't really mind too much. Sometimes I get a bit wistful I guess. But, the nature of the changes in my work means at the moment I get three and sometimes four 30 - 45 minute free time gaps during the day too. So, I shouldn't really complain. And, I guess it's a good thing I'm an early riser too, getting up around 4:30, as the staff start mowing and leaf blowing at 5am.

Anyway, good luck with your adventure.

Pax/
    Dean

tah1962 likes this.
  6. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would have been at his front door with a hand Truck before he hung up the phone.

tubegeek, SecretSquirrel and tah1962 like this.
  7. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

I know a couple guys that had/have serious medical issues that told no one, so don't rule that out. in any case there is a reason he thought of you. I have to think that a big one would be the hope that you'll play these things like he used to, or wishes he still could

either that or he don't care a rip & you're the only one he knows that still dinks around with tube amps?... nah

tah1962 likes this.
  8. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Be aware refusal to accept what is being given a gift can also offend. Its obvious you dont want to RIP him off or anything, but he is doing a wonderful thing wanting to give it to you and i would think he probably gave it a lot of thought first.

9. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Read thru this whole thread and I am seriously annoyed.

The curiosity of what else he has is killing me.

But seriously, I agree with the other posts. A gift is a special thing and should be dealt with respectfully.
    It's up to you to decide what that means and how best to 'apply' it.

tah1962 likes this.
  10. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

If that offer was made to me, I'd accept what I liked and offer to sell the rest for him. I wouldn't take anything and sell it later, no matter what my (charitable) intentions would be. He could have given the gear away to someone else
    You're a lucky man to have been considered first.

tah1962 likes this.
  11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

+1

I can be there in three days. :):lol:

Seriously, you should take it all away, if that's what the fellow wants. You could have some fun giving some of it away to grateful recipients.

teletail and tah1962 like this.
  12. BooneDog

BooneDog Tele-Meister

I wouldn’t accept something like this and then turn around and sell it or give it to another without telling the guy that was the plan. Regardless of giving him the money, donating to charity or whatever, if you don’t know his motives for giving it to you , you don’t know how to properly handle it.

Just be straight forward enough to ask him why he’s getting rid of it and why he picked you. It’s a quite different situation if he just wants the old crap out of his house vs he expects his treasures are going to a musician who will continue using them just as he did. He may have others he would give to if he thought they would be used, and would remain in his circle of contacts and not sold off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I agree 100%

I've had a very good friend turn into an lukewarm friend, as a result of me selling a gift. (something I obviously regret, even though I didn't have much choice at the time) Even if you tell him your plan, and they know your reasons (which may be good reasons) it still might upset them. If you can't or don't want to accept the gift then I think you shouldn't accept it. If you accept it, treat them like they are some the most precious things in your life.

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

My car tyres would be squealing all the way there, and a dust outline of me would be typing this

Because of what I do for a living, I saw so many doors that were only open for a day that everyone would be open forever

I am drooling at the fantasy idea of my father's friends giving me anything. The idea of him having friends is far fetched enough: generous ones, that gift me anything, is beyond fairy tales

tubegeek and tah1962 like this.
  15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You might find that a Super Reverb isn’t all that desirable these days.

Mike Eskimo and tah1962 like this.
  16. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

It must be some kind of a prank post. I mean REALLY, what guitarist EVER said, "I also have no need for a Super Reverb??????" That's just not possible.

Yea, and I have too much money and I'm tired of having sex with super models. ;)

17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

Completely Agree

P Thought and tah1962 like this.
  18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

If he wants to give you the equipment, take it. If that's his desire then your taking it will make him feel good...if you don't feel right taking it "for free" then send him a gift card to a nice restaurant or a weekend trip or something...

This is SO wrong. Every guitar player has need for a Super Reverb, one of the best sounding amps of all time!

scrapyardblue and tah1962 like this.
  19. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

It’s no prank, there’s just no way I can go to see his equipment this week. I’m sure a Super Reverb would be a fantastic amp, until I had to haul it around. I’ve spent the last few years downsizing my rig. I’m not getting any younger and I really don’t want to throw my back out hauling around a beast like a Super Reverb. And it’s not practical for a play at home amp. :D

20. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

Now I KNOW you're putting us on! :D

tah1962 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.