Got a most interesting call this morning

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tah1962, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Yeah, sell it for him, take a little commission. That's the honorable thing.

nojazzhere and tah1962 like this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think this is a delightful suggestion.

Buzzgrowl, nojazzhere and tah1962 like this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol::lol:

radiocaster likes this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I get the idea of selling the gear and taking a commission, but what if he just wants to make sure his treasured gear goes to a good home? I don't have any terribly valuable gear, but if the time came when I couldn't use it anymore I'd rather it do to someone who could appreciate it and use it the way I did, and not just go to some gear hoarder's stash. $.02.

I do like the idea of giving him a substantial gift that he'd appreciate in return.

5. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I'll go with you. Anything you don't want, I'll take. :D

6. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

What's that old saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?:D Very nice of you to offer to sell some of the stuff you'd have no use for and return some of the proceeds to him. I'm sure he would appreciate that. You're a better man than many would be.

Sounds to me like since he grew up with your dad, and played with your father-in-law, he'd like you to have the stuff at this point. It likely really means something to him to pass it on to someone that has a connection to what mattered most to him.

He's already made that decision. I'd take it and if you sell some stuff and offer some money to him, that's the best thing you can do, whether he accepts it or not. You may have to insist that he take some of the proceeds, or he might prefer that you just hold onto the stuff, whether you need it or not. Don't underestimate that sentiment if he grew up with your dad and played with your father-in-law.

7. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Its a nice dilemma to have. Some thoughts, in no particular order:
    I would want someone to use the gear if I was giving it away. He might be open to passing some on to a school or to students learning if you don't need the stuff.
    If some of the equipment needs repairs or servicing then it would make sense to sell something to cover the cost.
    A super reverb - hell yeah!

tah1962 and DekeDog like this.
  8. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

I've given away equipment before. I didn't just give it to anyone, but to those I knew wanted it or needed it and would take care of it and use it. I told them if they didn't want it to give it to someone else deserving of it, who would appreciate having it. When I get too old to use my equipment, I'll be doing the same thing, again. I have several friends who are either musicians or teachers or both. They seem to have no problems taking my stuff under those terms.

nojazzhere, tah1962 and dogmeat like this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

True dat.

Deeve, tomkatf and tah1962 like this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Two things: no matter how good of a friend he is, taking only 10% for selling musical gear is like only hitting yourself softly in the head with a ball peen hammer.

Take 15 to 25% after all expenses are paid.

Trust me I’ve sold dozens and dozens of pieces of vintage gear for people . it’s not brain surgery but - it is tedious as hell.

donate it, give him the money, whatever.

Also, you might be surprised how hard a super reverb is to get rid of - no matter what the vintage is.

tah1962 likes this.
  11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Forgive me if people already said this--I didn't read all the replies. Perhaps your dad's friend understands that his gear has value but doesn't appreciate exactly how much its value may have increased. And even if he's not interested in the sale profits--or feels awkward changing his mind--I bet his wife or kids would appreciate your gesture.

tah1962 likes this.
  12. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Nothing like that ever happens to me .

Slap Axe and tah1962 like this.
  13. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Some of us do not want to sell the gear . It is hard to explain.It is beyond the value.I have been gifted guitars because the owners had too many .They thought it needed a home.Selling them would be an insult.And then again some people just do not care.Best to find out where you stand good luck.

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

He obviously thought of you for a reason. Take the gift and let him know how much you appreciate his thinking of you. I don't think the money is likely an issue as much as getting what he cared about into someone else's hands that understand that.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe this has been mentioned already but if he called to give away all his gear to one person, he may be facing an end of life situation and wants help. Could be only weeks.

Plenty of suggestions for what to do after picking it up, might require a rented van, but an old feller who has nobody to pass his gear on to might be a bit desperate to find a decent recipient to take it away before the city or a house clearing contractor gets it.

16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol::lol:

17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I told you I wanted to give you a guitar or amp, it would be because I want to give it to you. I do not want to sell it to you, and I don't want you to sell it. If you don't want to keep ________ from this offer, my suggestion would be not to take it at all; he'll give it to someone else. Sounds like a very kind offer. I would take it, and thank the man sincerely.

KevinB, Jakedog, FLHT and 6 others like this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah - sometimes the #1 thing somebody wants is for you to be grateful , say a profuse thanks, and tell him that it’s so cool because you always wanted one - of whatever it is.

Even if you have no need for it or want it.

Any other scenario of your response isn’t what they had in mind when they thought of you in the first place.

Make him happy/read the room.

19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I guess there’s no way of knowing what’s really going on, not until you have another conversation with him.

There’s a huge range of possibilities (from what we know from the OP), from ‘I have a deep and personal attachment to this equipment and sense an almost cosmic connection with him through both his father and father in law and I hope he will feel the attachment and connection too and take this to keep, to use and to cherish,’ right through to ‘Aw, man I just can’t be bothered dealing with this mess, maybe that guy who likes this kind of stuff will take it?’

As has been mentioned though, one possible thing that’s happening here is that he doesn’t have a lot of time. Personally, I’d go and visit him sooner, rather than later.

Pax/
    Dean

20. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

He doesn’t have any health issues so that’s not it. He plays golf almost everyday. As a matter of fact he was getting ready to go to the golf course when he called me today. I’m going to call him back later this week and see if I can go look at his gear on Monday or Tuesday next week. I’ll provide an update of what I come home with and how things all shake out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.