Got a most interesting call this morning

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tah1962, Jun 29, 2020.

1. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

So a guy my Dad grew up with (I’ve played golf with him before) called me today and asked if me, or my son would be interested in some of his musical equipment. Of course my first question was what are selling? He said I’m not, I want to give it to you. He then told me he has 5 amps, several guitars, and a PA system. :eek: Ironically my Father-in-Law used to play music with this guy and if I recall, he had some vintage gear. When talking about the amps, he told me that one amp was a Fender Super Reverb. I told him if that amp is all original it would be worth a lot of money. I told him he should sell it. He said he didn’t want to mess with selling it, he just wanted me to have it. o_O

He lives a couple hours away from me so I told him next time I’m down to visit my parents that I’d give him a call to come over and look at what he has. I’m not sure what I’m getting into until I look at all of his equipment, but there is no way I can just take this gear for free. I also have no need for a Super Reverb so I think I’ll offer to take it, sell it for him and keep 10% for selling it, and give him the rest. I’ll know more once I get over to see his gear, but it should be interesting.

2. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Wait, you're not already on your way there?

OldPup, Blue Bill, teleman1 and 40 others like this.
  3. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Great position to find yourself in!

I think if you told him to sell it, and he insisted that he wants you to have it, he might be a bit put out if you were to sell it and try to give him the money. It seems like he's not really interested in the cash value - he knows you're a guitar guy and he wants to do something nice for you.

Maybe get him something in return for it? If he's a golfer, some golf-related thing? Or a nice Scotch or some wine?

4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you feel strongly about the value, and he feels strongly about not being paid, you could always sell some & donate the proceeds to a good cause in his name.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That's what I say! I'd already be on the road...
    You can always give him some money.

getbent, Piggy Stu, Nick-O and 3 others like this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

No, I really don’t need anymore gear but if he is 100% serious about giving it away, I’ll have to make a decision. I’m certainly not going to take advantage of him. If he has more gear like the Super Reverb, I may just end up offering to sell the gear for him and keeping a bit for my time and effort.

stantheman and Steve Holt like this.
  7. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

And you did the honorable thing - told him he’s got something valuable. He still wants you to have it. Grab it!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Great advice. I certainly don’t want to offend him.

Gardo likes this.
  9. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You seem like a man with high morals. You’ll figure it out.

10. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

That’s a great idea.

P-Nutz and unixfish like this.
  11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just - wow.

I'm sure some of these amps may need service - but that is an incredible offer.

I like the idea of selling off what you would not use and keeping 10%. Very fair - and probably what I would do in the same position.

nojazzhere and tah1962 like this.
  12. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If he had called me, I'd be there right now because I would have left this morning. If I didn't need some of the gear but wanted some of the other gear, I'd take it all and sell it. I'd give him what was left after I figured the value of what he gave me and the time and effort I put in. Often times things change between now and when you intend to meet up with him. But, it's not MY deal. Good luck!

13. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You should visit your parents today.

faulp, tah1962, Fretting out and 3 others like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I basically agree with the consensus here......get the gear, sell it for fair prices, accept a fair "broker's" fee, and then if he absolutely won't take the money, ask him if he has a favorite charity. Because of "current events", many worthy causes are hurting right now. That makes any donation especially appreciated.
    And.....good on you for doing the right thing! ;)

tah1962 and richiek65 like this.
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, sounds like you will find an honorable option. Be open to the possibility that he's a super generous guy and
    genuinely wants to give you a gift, no strings attached. At that point I suppose you might feel obligated to stay in touch
    and maybe give him some kind of gift in the future. Or maybe just let him vicariously enjoy your music fun-- such as by sending
    him recordings or inviting him to gigs or whatever. If he's older maybe there's some small favors you can do for him in the future that require someone in better physical shape. I think one key here will be to suss out the situation and try to be really tactful about it so he doesn't take whatever you do the wrong way.

I wonder if he plays any music at all anymore. Maybe he's just switched to acoustic guitar, for example. In that case maybe you have an acoustic he'd like as a trade.

Also, play that Super Reverb before you sell it. You may find that you do actually need it after all....

16. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

you are being "honored". I've been on both ends of things like this and suspect that his decision is not lightly made. collect the equipment and don't be in a hurry to just do something with it. there are good suggestions listed. there has to be something in the lot that you can use. keep it, use it, and maybe remark how good it is when ever you see him.

17. Nick-O

Nick-O TDPRI Member

You know the value and he cares for you. So instead of money take him a gift of something that he would like. Makes a huge difference.

57fenderstrat and tah1962 like this.
  18. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm w/ you on "don't hurry" to get rid. Also, be willing to linger during the load-out, as there may be a story or two w/ each piece.
    If they sell on Reverb, you may have room to share the story (and identify the charitable beneficiary).
    Well done.
    Peace - Deeve

P-Nutz and tah1962 like this.
  19. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Take it, play it, enjoy it, and at some point down the road donate it to a deserving and talented young musician, or sell it and donate the money anonymously to a good cause.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Tell him you ain't no charity case and he can keep his crappy old equipment! :p:p:p

jtees4, tomkatf, SuprHtr and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.