Got a hankering for some Gretsch jangle...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by elmicko, Feb 4, 2020.

1. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Lots of Gretsch pickups out there, with varying degrees of jangle. Not sure the Broadtrons do it well. You may look into a used model, get more options of pickups in similar price range to that one new.

Check this out:

http://gretschpages.com/guitars/pickups/

DaphneBlue likes this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Nice looking, GREAT PRICE. But those pickups are a Gretsch variation of a Humbucker, and they don't give up much jangle even when you jiggle around with the assembly screws on them. Please note the bridge, single piece dual purpose stop bar-bridge and saddles, all one piece, an additional jangle reducer. Most of the Electromatic's fall way short of Country Gentleman jangle.

With all that said, they are for the most part very solid "sweet" sounding and easy to play guitars. I bet there's a pedal out there somewhere that can add back some jiggly jangle to your tone. At 299.99 MSRP I would rate it as a buy without ever holding it or playing it. IMHO the 54xx, 52xx and any JET Gretsch are a great replacement for a Les Paul (primarily the ones that are chambered semi hollow).

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

If they are anything like the old club jet with identical looking pickups, then no. They just sound like regular low output humbuckers.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I love the look of that, although I don't care much for control knob locations. Then the description says "thin neck"......dealbreaker for me.

6. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Thank you very much for the information. I was kinda looking at it as a platform to mod too (Telecasters have taught me this). Maybe popping in some real Filtertrons at some point may improve the jangle factor?

Skydog1010 likes this.
  7. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Get a TV Jones (find a used one if possible) and put it in your guitar (assuming it fits). If you don't like it, it will be easier to sell it without losing to much money than selling a guitar you just bought.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  8. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

That's a great idea but the only electric is a telecaster that's only routed for the standard pickups.

9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

At the risk of getting too OT on this thread, are Gretsch's really that jangly? When I think of classic jangle I think of a single coil Ric-->Vox; i.e. Lennon, the Byrds, REM, etc... Even a strat or tele is potentially more jangly than a Gretsch. Of course, 'jangle' is tricky to define and what I'm thinking of may be totally different.

This isn't a knock on Gretsch in any way, I love them, and have been thinking about getting a 5422T myself. Jangle or not, that 2210 does look like a ton of guitar for the price.

10. sswoverl

sswoverl TDPRI Member

I have a Streamliner 2622. Wasn't thrilled with the Broadtron pups. They are routed for standard HB sized pickups, so you'll be looking for something in that size. I put in some Gibson 57 classics (heresy, I know.) Still not exactly where I would like to be with it.

11. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

"are Gretsch's really that jangly? "

-- can be......get one with some Hilotrons and you can get all KINDS of jangle.....

This is my 64(?) Tennessean.... it does clean jangly *very* well.
    It does loud too....Crank the gain up, and let those Hilotrons go, and they can get downright rude.
    (sorry about the bad photos....)
    33333.png 44444.png

Dan German likes this.
  12. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

The best Gretsch jangle I ever got was out of a Stratocaster.
    I've had a ton of Tennesseans with HiloTrons and they just sound like weak Strat pickups when you boil it down.

There are guys still arguing whether or not George used a Strat or Tennessean on tracks between Help! and Rubber Soul.

13. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Have been tempted as well at the price they offer, which beats the Electromatics by a far piece.

Here is a good video regarding the Streamliner:

OP, is "Blount-Vegas", Blountville, TN?

stormsedge likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I agree - I have a Gretsch Pro Jet that I modified with filtertron pickups, and I also have a Telecaster. And I've had stratocasters in the past. They all "jangle". This happens with Gretsch humbuckers, I think, because of the pole piece spacing, or something. But many single coil pickups just to do it inherently.

I get a "jangly" tone just by using a small amount of overdrive.

15. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I had a '67 Tennessean back in the early 90's that was an amazing guitar. And back then it was only worth about $500 so I traded it for a Taylor 710. Still have the Taylor but I'd love to have that Gretsch back too!

Yessir...Blount-Vegas would be the mighty metropolis of Blountville, TN.

Lawdawg likes this.
  16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Awesome. I grew up just a few miles away in Cooks Valley! Was at a friend's out your way over Christmas, looking right over I-81.

17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I'd love to have that '67 Tennessean too!

18. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Sweet!! Maybe our paths will cross one day.

Bruxist likes this.
  19. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have been looking at those as well, and I don’t mind changing pickups if I have to, but since list price is the same, I would lean towards the Jet Club. It has the stop bar/bridge, and the control layout looks better to me. Of course, if it also has a thin neck, that may not work for me.

20. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

They look very interesting. I've been hankering after a Gretsch & I love the look of LP Jr's.
    I don't need jangle. Mid range growl & thin neck sounds perfect.
    The gun metal (which is more blue) looks the business. £275 each in the UK.
    Just found another dealer who has all colours for £254, except gun metal...it's £279!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.