1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got a guitar that needs waking up?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by DrPepper, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

That's a great story. Who cares about the guitars anymore?

That story is better than any two guitars I've ever owned.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    bcorig likes this.
  2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

On topic and then, off.
    I have never had a need to wake up a Telecaster, but that's me.
    On the other hand, Strats always seem a little short on sustain in stock form. It's my impression that a brass inertia block and brass bridge saddles, together, go a long way toward correcting said deficit.
    It worked for me.

bcorig likes this.
  3. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If so the key to Life as a musician is, “y = 2 A cos (κx + ε) cos (κct + ε’)”

4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

This equation has to be correct because I can't refute it.

gregulator450 likes this.
  5. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

About, if not less then a couple of ounces. This insert is roughly a quarter of an inch thick. You can just screw it to the back of the guitar over the existing ferrules.

6. DrPepper

As said previouly, I reused the old strings... I do that.

7. DrPepper

You guys can believe me or not, it made a drastic (in good way) improvement to my partscaster I was about to give up on... Money well spent. Bye

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Here is mine...sorry but it DOES NOT work wonders,my guitar isn't more alive than the other 5 tele I have..looks REALLY cool though :)

[​IMG]

9. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Do we need to point out that the string is not vibrating behind the bridge saddle? That NOT vibrating behind the bridge saddle is in fact the entire point of the bridge saddle?

So the brass block can't "transfer vibrations." The only thing it can do is increase the mass of the body slightly.

It would be worth it to get one of these things and just tape it to the back of the body, and await the miraculous effect.

I believe that adding mass to the body changes the way it resonates--you can prove this yourself with an acoustic guitar; the tone will change slightly based on how much of your body is in contact. I also believe the effect, especially on a solid body guitar, is extremely small.

I actually built a guitar with one of these. It sounds good and it's easier than drilling ferrule holes which never want to line up straight. But it always had one so I can't speak to any miraculous effect

10. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

...laughs in toploader.

I do like the design aesthetic. I would use something like this if I built a string thru, but not for sustain, tone, ....

11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Did somebody say spend $25 in a bar?

TwoBear and Bill Sheehan like this.
  12. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

13. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

I don't believe you.

TG likes this.
  14. d-rock

d-rock Tele-Meister

When I changed the neck on my Tele partscaster from thin to 1" baseball bat, the guitar woke up and had more sustain, more low mids. It was drastic.

So I believe that components add up and that your guitar behaves differently. If I didn't have that experience myself, I would have been a little skeptical.

15. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Ha! I think it's a combination of being locked down/distancing, and my mind's natural disposition towards wandering left field. No telling where my life would have gone if A.D.D would have been recognized back when I was in school.

teletimetx likes this.
  16. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Ah but I noticed they are different! the ones on top are rounded on the sides and have the two screws for mounting in between the outside E strings and their respective neighbor, while the one you have is squared off and screws down by two outside larger screws. We all know people will argue the merits of a vintage wah with 500 versus 300 micro Henries, let alone whether that metallurgical marvel came from the Liberty Bell, or Audie Murphy's brass balls. Please accept this as a attempt at humor-a crude busting of....

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think there's a guru in India which you can call for your specific spiritual telecaster needs.

18. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

I was hoping somebody would "Costello" my Bud Abbott.

aging_rocker likes this.
  19. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

When I was building that mahogany Tele of mine I had actually thought of routing in a channel and inserting a strat sustain block. Partly for just to see what if, and partly because I only had a hand drill and was reticent to try six drill passes and have them end up where I wanted them from the front to the back without being all splayed. I figured I could do router passes with a sled and that would be easier. In the end I just manned up and I nailed them, mostly because I hadn't had a string through Tele before and I wanted one! someday I'll get around to digging those nuts out and inserting the proper barrels/ferrules. Funniest thing about this guitar... I nailed those six holes front to back dead straight, and I have built many guitars never once drilling through the back when making a pass for wires between cavity routes... If you look close in the top corner you can just see...

20. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

A brass Strat sustain block...
    Oh. My. Yes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.