1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got a deal on a bandsaw. Now I need advice.

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by thecableguy, May 8, 2015.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Brian-- yes, definitely release tension on the blade when you're not using the saw. A quick-release accessory will make it much easier and quicker to do so when you're done cutting, and more importantly, quickly pull it up to good cutting tension when you want to do some cutting. Much easier on the tires, wheel bearings, and the blade.

The Carter (bearing) guides are a primo upgrade, that really improve your saw.

:( Unfortunately, neither accessory is available for my little Delta saw, so I have to screw blade tension up and down, and every so often, adjust the cool blocks. :( Mustn't complain though, at least I have a bandsaw, and it'll resaw 7" (but not very fast) .

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

LOL, Oh, no, not THAT! I never questioned doing it, seems to make sense about not "flattening" the tires and all the other, but I have no proof one way or the other, and since your experience is otherwise, I'd say just keep doing what works for you!:D (But what kinda tone does you bandsaw blade have, stretched out like that alla time? :lol:)

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

How many teeth on the saw should provide the best tone?

5. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Nice score Brian! Can't beat that price. I don't release the tension as well, too lazy.

6. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Everyone knows it's 6 tpi…. :p

7. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

As for the question of loosening the band saw bade, do you loosen your guitar strings when you're not playing it? I had a buddy who did that regularly saying the guitar would last longer.

Personally I'm too lazy to do either….

8. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

I'll just tighten the blade until it sounds open, resonant and organic. That'll work. :twisted:

9. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Great score Brian ! Outside of a riser block the best improvements I've made to my band saw IMO are Carter guides and a heavier tension spring . The guides are self explanatory , cool blocks like you already mentioned should work fine , the heavier tension spring like what Carter sells just make it easier and faster to tension the blade (for perfect tone :lol:).

http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-products/band-saw-tension/cobra-coiltm

A quick tension release is nice also but I have one and only use it occasionally (when I remember ) I've seen no ill effects by not releasing the tension . New Urethane tires are a reasonable upgrade too , I bought mine from this ebay seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELTA-14-INCH-URETHANE-BAND-SAW-TIRES-BRAND-NEW-SET-OF-2-TIRES-MADE-IN-USA-/320679565015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa9fdd6d7

I have a thread from a while back on some of the upgrades to my band saw , while it isn't a Delta , its similar if you want to take a look . Good blades are a pleasure on a well tuned band saw , before I got the CNC I was cutting necks and bodies on the line and going right to the router table with them and was still only routing off a 16th to a 32nd , big time saver .

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/diy-tool-shed/459139-band-saw-tune-up.html

10. thecableguy

Thanks for providing your insight Herb. That's a great tune up thread you did. Every one of the upgrade parts (except the riser block) is available locally at Lee Valley. I'll probably do everything except the bearing guides for now. I'll put cool blocks on there for the time being. Gotta meter the spending y'know! I'm also going to put a wheel brush on. They're only a few bucks so why not.

11. adirondak5

Wheel brush is a good upgrade , I've got to pick some up to put on my saw , some types of wood the sawdust does stick on the tires . The cool blocks will work just fine , and they sure are a lot more wallet friendly than Carters guides:lol:

12. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Just go with regular rubber tires. The guys on OWWM are of the opinion that urethane tires don't behave or last nearly as long as rubber. A lot of guys have had issues with the blade not staying on after awhile.

If you replace the tires, you'll need to crown them as well. I've never had to do it, but I hear it's not a terrible process.

13. thecableguy

Those guides will be a definite future upgrade. You mentioned in your thread that you thought it was strange that the back of the blade rides on the side of the bearing instead of the outer diameter. That bugs me too. I like how the Carter guides are engineered to do it the right way! (in my mind at least)

14. thecableguy

Interesting, thanks for the perspective Roger. I haven't even looked at the tires that are on the saw yet so who knows, they may just stay on.

15. VintageMike

VintageMike TDPRI Member

Carter also makes zero clearance inserts, and a quick tension release. As far as the rust on table goes, Boesheild makes some great products. Use their rust remover with a scotch brite pad, wipe clean then spray Boesheil T9 on and let dry. Then wipe Johnsons paste floor wax (in yellow can) on, the buff. Should be slicker than snot.

Make sure to tension blade correctly for the width of the blade and for the job your going to do.

16. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

Carter guides are excellent. Also, consider installing a stronger blade tension spring, I
    can't remember where I bought it, but it keeps the blade properly tensioned. Good luck
    with the saw- they are terrific!!

17. thecableguy

Thanks for the tips man!

18. thecableguy

Yeah that spring is available at the local Lee Valley. They carry all the Carter stuff.

19. thecableguy

I think this saw already has newer tires. These look like they're in pretty good shape.

[​IMG]

20. adirondak5

Yep , urethane by the looks and color , that'll save you some dough not having to replace them

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.