1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Got a deal on a bandsaw. Now I need advice.

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by thecableguy, May 8, 2015.

1. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

So while working today I noticed an old Delta bandsaw in my customer's garage. I commented on it and he proceeded to tell me about how his neighbour moved away and gave it to him. He said he didn't have a use for it. I told him about my guitar building and asked if I could buy it off him. He said just take it and he didn't want any money for it. He plugged it in to make sure it worked and I carted it home.

I'm assuming it'll need a tune up and probably a couple new blades. I don't know much about bandsaws so I'm hoping some of my TDPRI brothers and sisters can share some wisdom!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow! Brian, what a great find. Best advice I can give is to get an OEM manual. Delta is pretty good about maintaining access to older machine manuals, they actually photocopied an owners' manual and parts manual from the one copy they had for about a 1952 model table saw that I ultimately rebuilt. Start here, and let us know how it goes: http://www.deltamachinery.com/faq/624-where-can-you-find-the-owners-manuals

Also, check here, I think this is the forum that Roger is a member of, and they have a lot of resources: http://vintagemachinery.org/

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Try the Old Wood Working Machinery Forums.
    They have people that eat and breathe those old Deltas and Rockwells.

Go online, download the .pdf Manual for it. You will be soooo glad you did.

Keep a lot of Bandaids around. :)

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Sweet score, Brian!

You probably won't get a lot of help on OWWM. Your saw is too new (though it's still basically the same design that's been around for decades). Though you can search for Delta Band Saw over there and get TONS of info on setup and use.

Here's a good video to help with setup.

For blades, I've always used a 1/2" Timberwolf 3 TPI. It seems to be a very good all-around blade. When cutting out bodies, you have to make a lot of relief cuts because it won't handle the tighter curves, but it's not that big a deal.

5. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Tele-Meister

I've got nothing helpful to add, I just wanted to say that's a nice score!

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Sweeeet!

7. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Check the tires & replaced if dried out & cracked. Replace the drive belt with a link belt. It really smooths the saw out. Replace the steel blade guide blocks with Cool Blocks to reduce friction on the blade. Steel wool will take care of the rust on the table. After it's clean, wipe the table down with dry lube (PTFE). Get a good fence. Kreg makes a very nice bandsaw fence that will bolt right onto that table. For cutting bodies & neck blanks, I use a 3/8" 3TPI blade.

That's a great saw you got there. Have fun!

Bob

8. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

This was the best thing I ever did to my bandsaw. I bought a set of these to replace the steel guide blocks. It's amazing how much better and accurate the thing cuts now.

[​IMG]

Here were my old steel blocks which were broken and beat to #$%^&*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new ones which run so smooth and keep the blade beautifully in line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beyond that just make sure the tires are in decent shape and understand what's the proper tension for your blade and enjoy. Great tool.

Oh and you'll notice in that last picture the custom tooth brush tire cleaner. That's handy for keeping crud from getting between your blade and tire. I wish I could recall what kind of tires those blue ones are, much better than the rubber version though. Might be polyurethane??? Anyway I recall struggling with the price, then I got them installed and forgot all about the price, very nice.

9. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I have that exact model. They sold a fence and optional 24" fence rails for it. I love that feature. That saw will last a lifetime.

11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It looks like an old unit Brian and I know nothing about Delta, but it looks like it may take a riser block which will make it really useful for resawing tops and backs. You will use it almost every day in the sawdust factory. Congratulations!

DC

12. guitarbuilder

Yes it takes the riser block and a 105" blade.

13. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

i would just start with removing the belt cover & checking the tension & condition...then just get a new blade....thats all i had to do when i bought my delta off CL

14. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

SWEET! A made in USA Delta for FREE. That is awesome! The Carter bearing guides are really nice, but if you don't want to make that jump immediately, you can improve functionality a lot with cool blocks for like 20 to 30 bucks.

Which motor does that saw have?

Nice score!

15. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Great score!!

I have the exact same model but with the Rockwell name on it.

16. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the info guys. I was checking out Lee Valley's site and they have most of the upgrade parts for these saws, plus the Kreg fence and lots of blades. I think for now I'll install cool blocks and a wheel brush, and polyurethane tires if these are in bad shape and do the rest of the upgrades later, such as the bearing guides. The only thing Lee Valley doesn't have is the riser block, so I'll have to find that online. You guys know where that can be ordered from? I definitely would like to resaw tops and backs on this thing.

Edit: would this riser block work? The one review there said it was put on a Delta with a little modification.

Grizzly H3051 Riser Block Kit for G0555: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41WtTwFqRmL

One other question, I read that you should release blade tension when the saw isn't in use. Is that a good idea? Lee Valley does sell the quick release kit.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  17. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I have read that the riser you posted will work, though no experience here. I don't have a riser on mine.
    I always release the tension on the blades when I'm done. Some say the blades can take a set if you don't.

18. guitarbuilder

19. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

The Kreg fence came on my $100 CL Grizzly saw. It's pretty nice, but don't use it all that often because I don't have the riser block to enable resawing. I think Grizzly still has some of the parts, but not a kit (mine is an older model). Those Carter guides look good (and costly).
    Tim

20. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

I've had a hard time finding a riser kit for my Delta. The problem is finding the correct shaft. The shaft on my saw is round with a groove down the side & turns into a hex where the blade guides bolt on. Looks like yours may be the same. You will probably want to upgrade the motor if doing a riser kit. The 3/4hp motor on the Delta is really limiting once you start resawing hardwood tops.

Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.