Got a Bullet with A Hair Trigger - r they all like this?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by magicfingers99, Sep 10, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Picked up a new Tele Bullet, and its a great guitar, very nice setup from the factory. Action is lower than the sub basement in hades, but the pickups seem to be nearly as hot.

I have to really watch how hard I hit a string, the sound goes from fat and round to sharp in an instant. I have to micromanage my pickin until I get used to it and find out where the breakup points are.

my question is, is this typical of the stock pickups in the Squier Bullets, or is it a setup issue (pickups too high), or something else I'm missing altogether when I try to understand the tone on this guitar.

I like it, it gives me an excuse to play more whilst I try to suss it out. I'm not sure about the unwound 3rd either, it twangs a great deal, sometimes more than I'd like to the point of sounding flat. But that's another post I guess..

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

You may want to fiddle around with pickup heights. Some pickups are more dramatically susceptible to height adjustments than others.

Just My Thoughts,
    Gene

3. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I second the pickup height adjustment suggestion. IME, the less expensive the pickup, the more sensitive it is to height and the narrower its sweet spot.

magicfingers99 likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Does it have lighter gauge strings than you're used to? Did you do a set-up on it to your preferences? Some players (especially "younger" players) adjust action much lower than more experienced players do. Is this the case for your Bullet? Likewise, they will sometimes raise pickup height, thinking "hotter" sounds "better".
    You say it's a "new" Tele Bullet......it's very rare for a new guitar to not need a complete set-up. In general, you need to set up a guitar to YOUR techniques, NOT adjust your playing to the guitar.

BB likes this.
  5. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

its spank brand new, but I checked the setup and polished the frets. its lower than my normal action, but it plays well and doesn't fret out or buzz. the only problem is the bridge pickup seems very trebly when the e or b are struck hard, otherwise its fine.
    its the original strings. I was quite surprised to see the nut was cut quite low and the action set so low without any buzzing out of the box (and the bag). I tweaked the truss rod a scooch just so I could verify it worked before removing all the stickers and clear plastic on everything.

I'll change the strings out to some nickel strings with a wound 3rd and maybe adjust the saddles and intonate it again in a couple weeks and see what it sounds like at that point.

my only gripe about the factory setup was the frets were crowned but not polished and very obvious when doing string bends. a quick polish and all is good. somebody in singapore knew what they were doing....

nojazzhere and GuitarPix like this.
  6. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've bought a few used guitars where the previous owner jacked the pickups right up under the strings. That sudden unpleasant, in-your-ear sharpness was one of the symptoms of that kind of bad pickup height. If yours look too high, lower them a little at a time until you hit the sweet spot.

There's an old trick that I think was from Bill Lawrence: holding down the high E string at the highest fret, adjust the height until a nickel just fits between the coin and the string. Then do the same thing using two nickels under the low E. That gets it in the ballpark. Now tweak a little either way depending on the response of your pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.