Got 5 minutes 35 Seconds to spare?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mack, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Mack

Mack TDPRI Member

Apologies if you have seen this before.

Park any Goth prejudicies and enjoy John 5 getting his guitar collection out..

great guitarist, great Tele fan.
    Mak.

2. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Apology accepted - and it's still a damn fine collection!

I still can't quite grasp the concept of a $75K Kiss poster collection. :confused:

3. Mack

Mack TDPRI Member

LoL - I thought the same...

4. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wow!

Thanks for the link! I haven't seen that before.

Greatest respect for the man. He loves his Teles and is very knowledgable.

Just for the record, Gretsch didn't sue. They wrote to Fender politely suggesting that if the continued to use the Broadcaster name, then they would (might) take legal action.

As Fender at the time were bumping along the bottom of financial solvency, they didn't have the appetite for a legal battle (by all accounts they didn't have the money in all reality) and so Leo instructed the manufacturing department to simply snip of the "Broadcaster" part of the decals. Leo would waste nothing!

I'm always bemused by Gretsch's action. John5 was right when he said they used the name on one of their drums but their name was spelt with a "k": Broadkaster, so I'm not really sure what their motivation was.

A fledgling guitar manufacturer, often on the brink of financial ruin, produces a guitar with a similiar name to a drum - a snare as I understand - and decided to put a shot across Fender's bows. Hmmm. I wonder what history would look like now if Leo had decided to dig in and fight the "suggestion of legal action". :lol:

Back to the video, however. I'd do exactly the same if I came into untold wealth. I'd have a Tele for every year made. Could you imagine the dilemma. Do I play the Broadcaster, the '68 Paisley or the '72 Deluxe? Before lunch! :lol:

Mr 5 is a genuinely lucky guy.

:D Peter

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great to see that he obviously loves the Telecaster so much, and he knows the history rather well (like a lot of us Tele geeks do ;)).

I for one would welcome him as a member here (although I'm not a fan of his music :oops:).

6. Big John

Big John RIP

Didn't they buy Gretsch in 2003 ?, neat outcome, that'll teach 'em to complain about my decal ! :lol:

7. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

kinda Spinal Tap. smart guy though, good player.

8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Very impressive collection and a very articulate individual too.
    I don't think I could ever become as obsessive over one style of Geetar though, to me a little variety goes a long way.
    The nice thing about John's collection is that it's better than money in the bank or invested in stocks and bonds and a heckuva lot more fun in addition to the mind boggling appreciation rate.

9. Guns1rose

Guns1rose Tele-Meister

Only the full potential of this video can be released if watched on Comcast ON-Demand, on a wide screem LCD HD screen....
    NICE COLLECTION!

10. ole AZ

ole AZ Banned

Definitely an enviable collection. I have never heard anything he played, but I like his guitars.

11. PeterUK

Nope!

Fender did not buy Gretsch but Fender adopted the marketing activity for Gretsch which sort of makes sense.

Fender, the huge corporate monster with lots of sales and marketing resource, Gretsch a smaller niche player with a strong brand. Give you sales and marketing activity to someone like Fender and you get a very experience, international sales and marketing engine, first class international distribution and the attention of a wider audience.

How many of you have flicked through your Fender catalogue and stopped and drooled at the Gretsch section? Exactly! :lol:

Unless someone corrects me, I believe Gretsch is an independent company.

12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I just want the phone number of whoever gave him $75k for some Kiss posters!

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Seems like they're outsourcing a lot of their production way off-shore now. Is that Fender move, or was Gretsch already doing that?

14. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

15. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Nice!

16. Vole

Vole Former Member

Yawza!

17. PeterUK

Everyone is doing it now.

I remember my first guitar, a chinese made acoustic. It was vile! Made in China because the labour rates were (and still are, relatively) cheap.

Then one day, someone ask their Chinese/Far East manufacturing plant if they could make cheap guitars but better quality. Well of course they could, and it only cost an extra $0.50 a guitar. So the next question was, "Can you make these good quality, cheap guitars but with better woods?".

Bingo. I give you guitars like the Vintage Vibe Squier Teles, PRS SEs and the "entry level" Gretsch.

A friend of mine asked me if I wanted anything mass produced in China as he had contacts, so I asked him to look at budget guitars.

For $10 I could buy good quality electric or acoustic guitars that sell, typically for $150. A lesser quality one was $8.50 and for $7.00 I could get a crude budget, budget guitar that needed fret work, a bit of a set up and had a few cosmetic flaws. Only problem was the minimum order was 3,000.

I suspsect that the Far East now has some great luthiers that are now producing some of the Fender, Gretsch, PRS, etc.. that we pay several hundreds of dollars for.

I wonder what will happen when the Far East labour rates increase as their workers demand more? :lol:

18. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

j5 has a nice collection i 'm thinking he is a member here

bw

19. ole AZ

ole AZ Banned

Good point. There is no way a man could have that love for teles and have not posted here before. I bet you're right.

20. John Scott

John Scott TDPRI Member

I WONDER what kinda finder fee hed pay for that elusive super clean NOCASTER... I JUST played one last week waht wwas SO clean it was unbelievable!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.