Got $40 to Change Your Life?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Referring to Joyo vs. Tech 21? The only difference I know is the speaker emulation switch in the Tech 21, so that you can use it directly into a PA. Otherwise, the Tech 21 uses higher quality components, but AFAIK they use the same circuitry.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I, too, am largely "pedal ignorant", as you put it. I rarely use them on gigs, and am not confident in my settings. Some pedals, however, just do specific things, like chorus, tremolo, and my twelve string emulator, so I can use them fairly effectively. With this Joyo pedal, I simply plugged in, set the knobs roughly at "12 0'clock", and I immediately had a Black Face Fender coming out of my Vox amp. Magic! ;)
    And, I believe in the demo he was simply going directly into whatever he was recording into.....it's an amp "simulator".

Bill Sheehan, Telecaster88 and MickM like this.
  3. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I carry one in my gig bag just in case my amp ever craps out on a gig.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I like my American Sound into a few amps as it does improve the EQ ( or add tweakability), plus it goes to every gig as an emergency backup amp ( into PA channel)

But I'm not a big fan of the Drive knob much past 10:00 clock. The higher drive seemed to f*** up the nice EQ I dial in with the AS

Just prefer keeping this control at 9-10 clock and running an OD pedal with it.

* this Drive knob may sound better on other more neutral 'power engine' amps, or direct. Just noting the limited experience with my amps.

5. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

It's a copy of the Tech21, and I wish Tech21 made money from it. Licensed or whatever...

Because Tech21 had to endure the R&D cost, design, marketing and Joyo just copied/manufactured. But I guess such is the modern world.

6. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

I got one for home use, yup, it makes a nice range of noises, I use it for a bit of fur on a nearly clean amp at very low volume in my living room. Noisy at higher gain levels but that doesn't bother me too much!

Bill Sheehan and nojazzhere like this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Love mine too, but as stated before, can be a little noisy. Would you mind sharing your settings ?

I also have the pink British. Pretty good too.

Bill Sheehan and nojazzhere like this.
  8. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I also have two American Sounds. I play them through a Bandmaster Reverb - one is for edge-of-breakup/pushed Blackface, and one is for cranked Tweed tones. They are absolutely killer. I never expected it - I bought the first one for it's versatile tone stack to run as a cheap mid-boost through the loop in my Tim. But I ended up digging it enough on it's own to buy a second. They kicked an RC Booster and a Les Lius off my board. Very happy with them. Tech 21's designs are outstanding.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    PhredE, Bill Sheehan, MickM and 2 others like this.
  9. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

This is where I get confoozled. I'm thinking that the Joyo is the amp simulator that isn't self powered so you need to plug into an amp or something with a speaker.
    So..... you set up the Joyo to sound like your idea of a BF Fender and run it through a Vox (like yours), a Marshall or whatever amp is available (set the tone to 12 o' clock) and go with it?

10. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

I sort of use it as another channel, .....erm,- so mostly at home for instance, I am playing my gretsch quietly, into the fender tweedy blues junior, nearly clean, and it sounds good - but if I push it with a traditional overdrive to get a bit more fur, the nasal midrange might show itself, - by using the joyo's eq I can scoop this out to get the rounder sound I want - so basicly I use it as a posh overdrive!
    Just an example, - is that any help? :D

Bill Sheehan, MickM and nojazzhere like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Perhaps I posted too early after getting the Joyo American Sound. I simply put everything at roughly "12 o'clock" (per a youtube video I saw) and loved the sound. I will have to experiment a while to determine a "preferred" setting, but my point is, rather than adding an effect to my existing amp sound, it seems to completely alter the sound of the amp. It's almost like my Vox amp now IS a Deluxe Reverb, although I suspect there are other "voices" in there.....I just have to find them.
    I'm the kind of guitarist that, for playing at home, I'm not overly concerned with "nailing" a particular sound.....I'm not trying to sound like a certain guitarist or style......but for playing gigs, and doing covers, I want to emulate certain sounds. This is where I see the Joyo being a huge benefit. Heck...I rarely plug into an amp of any kind at home. ;)

JL_LI, Bill Sheehan and MickM like this.
  12. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Care to share those settings ?

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The Tech 21 design has the speaker simulation button so that you can use the pedal as your traditional “dirt” pedal in your chain and then into your amp or with the speaker simulation straight into a PA as an artificial amp. This is the big difference design between Tech 21 and Joyo.

14. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

nojazzhere,

Here's just a few threads I dug up about the Joyo AS. Some have some pretty useful info about settings and tech info if you're into that sort of thing (I tend toward nerdiness, so I like that stuff).
    Anyway, some of these might be worth a quick look:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/joyo-american-sound-od-eq-clean-boost.1004035/
    Note: see posts by
    Junkyard Dog re: freq response / controls settings
    JFlanders re: response differences to Tech21 Blonde (AS is very similar, but not identical)
    AndyPanda re: some voicings and control settings
    (Many thanks to those members for those contributions)

Also,
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/placement-of-the-joyo-american-sound-pedal.793693/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/joyo-american-sound-amazed-by-this-pedal-npd.733534/
    (and many others..)

FWIW,

Disclaimer: I use it as a tone shaper/EQ/preamp -- not for dirt.
    (I'll use clock positions to describe control settings; positions are approximate, not exact and do vary somewhat depending on the speaker used)

a Twin-like tone (using my equipment, going straight into the input of amp):
    Low 12:00 Mid 12:00 High 12:00
    Level 3:00 Voice 9:00 Drive 9:00

Then, I often roll the Voice down to minimum to get something closer to a Bassman tone:
    Low 12:00 Mid 12:00 High 12:00
    Level 3:00 Voice 7:00 Drive 9:00

Dialing Voice up AND Drive up yields lots of dirt (and noise) pretty quick. I just don't do that.

HTH / Have fun! :)

Short simple YT sound demo (going direct) with an SX guitar with P90s--

Telecaster88 and nojazzhere like this.
  15. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

I'll have to dig mine out and give it another try!

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

... aaaand just like that I've got GAS.

nojazzhere and Hamstein like this.
  17. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I can speak to Joyo’s quality as I’ve had the AC Tone. Remarkably well built and sturdy, and very good sounding for dirt cheap.

I got one when I was trying to recreate a Vox sound with a clean pedal platform amp. I won’t say it killed my desire for a Matchless, Winfield, or Top Hat, but it does the trick in a pinch.

Those pedals do sound good. It’ll get that vibe for sure.

nojazzhere and richiek65 like this.
  18. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I have the Harley Benton one for when I can't be bothered to take an amp.

telemaster03 and nojazzhere like this.
  19. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I bought this pedal and the AC Tone back in early 2012, I first mentioned them in 2013, and since then in about half of my post count.

From here;

upload_2021-9-27_12-6-46.png

to here, as others agree, it is the answer to most questions posed on TDPRI, even if the question is should I buy a Tele or a bass?;

upload_2021-9-27_12-8-34.png

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Caffiend

Caffiend TDPRI Member

Conversely, my recent acquisition of a Mustang Micro may be about to cost me a Deluxe Reverb… All these years I’ve been chasing Marshalls that weren’t quite right and mostly I needed a DR and TS808…

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.