Got $40 to Change Your Life?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Sep 26, 2021.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OK....that might be a slight exaggeration, but the last $40 I just spent is going to probably save me $8-900.
    I've been seriously contemplating buying a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. I kick myself almost daily for selling a pristine vintage Deluxe Reverb several years ago, when in financial need. To me, the DR is about the most perfect SINGLE amp ever devised. I don't "need" a DR, as my gigs seem to be dwindling of late, and I have several other amps that serve VERY well, particularly my Vox Pathfinder 15R in a one 12" cabinet.....but I still cherish that DR sound. So, I've been hearing about the Joyo American Sound pedal for several years, but common sense tells me that you can't get a decent Black Face tone out of a cheap, Chinese pedal. WRONG!!! On a whim, I ordered one on Amazon, since I knew I could always send it back if it disappointed, and it came yesterday. WOW!.....I just now plugged into my "sucky" Vox Pathfinder 10, which has an 8" speaker and switched on the Joyo. There it was....the sparkle and shimmer that only comes from a Black Face Fender amp.....to my ears the SOUND of Rock & Roll. This is the sound I've always loved, with my BF Super Reverb, BF Bassman, BF Bandmaster, BF Princeton, BF Deluxe (no reverb, and, of course, my BF Deluxe Reverb, all of which are no longer with me. And now, a wimpy Vox practice amp. If I'd known about this pedal, I'dve never sold a Fender Blues Junior III, that just never had "The Sound". I can't wait to try it out with my Pathfinder 15R. Have you guys always known about these, and just kept the secret from me? Who knew $40 could buy a slice of tone Heaven? Even if I owned a BF Deluxe Reverb, I'd want this pedal.....it would be like having channel switching. Man!...can you tell I'm stoked!!!!;););)

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

I've been looking at these as well. Thomann (no affiliation) carries these under their Harley Benton branding...I've got four on my wish list: American does Fender; British does Marshall; AC does Vox; California does Mesa. All good reviews on the all knowing YouTube and a bargain at $29usd each plus shipping (I think it is ~$12 for all four in a box).

Edit: Whew...shipping costs went up again...gonna wait and order when Mrs does a Prime.;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Bill Sheehan, PhredE and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

“Common sense” in 2021 favors inexpensive gear.

4. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, many of us have the Joyo American Sound. I have two. As a cheap pedal I like it a lot for certain things. Sounding like a DR tube amp though?.... hmmmm... if it works for you great! I suppose you could say many OD type pedals could get some of that tube sound. I guess I'll have to do some tweaking and see what I think of that comparison. Right now I use one WITH a BF Deluxe.

Bill Sheehan, GFrank and nojazzhere like this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

well you mentioned a long list of amps, those are all different in my mind. i think that's my problem with "BF" style. they're usually going for a TR or something. some kind of crystalline scooped sound.

PR and bassman are dirty boys. bandmaster more clean affairs. super and DR somewhere in between. i've only personally owned a bassman, DR, TR, PR (well, held on to for someone for a while), vibro champ. i'm either a PR or bassman kind of guy when it comes to BF.

i have been getting good results with my iridium in DR mode. though oddly enough it sounds more like my old DR with the 2x10 emulation they provided. also, when you crank the mid to 10 it more or less gets tweedy. i wouldn't say like a 5E3, but maybe more like a pro/super/bandmaster or something like that.

7. nojazzhere

Even two vintage Deluxe Reverbs can sound somewhat different. This shoot-out between a real amp and a pedal just shows, to me, either can sound great.
    The Deluxe Reverb I compared the pedal to exists only in my head and memory.....and memory can often be "idealized"......and I'm impressed with the pedal. ;)

8. nojazzhere

All of the amps on my list were owned at different periods, and I'm sure if I had had them side-by-side the differences would have been more obvious. But, depending on settings and volume levels, they all had certain things in common. I was ALWAYS able to find a great sound in each one.
    I should also mention, the Joyo American Sound has Treble, Mid, and Bass knobs, so you can easily scoop the mids to taste, or accentuate the mids for a bit of a Tweed sound.

9. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Yep, been singing it's praises couple years now. If I had to pick one small flaw, it can be little noisy, or maybe it's just mine.

10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Hey, welcome to the party! :)

Now you have to get the AC Tone (since I know you're a fan of Vox amps..) -- takes a bit longer to dial in, but it can also have some really nice (useful) tones. ..and besides, 'it's $40'.

11. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

I've stated several times that the Joyo American Sound pedal has saved me at least a $grand that would have been spent on amps. Where it really, really shines for me is when paired with a small amp that has only a single tone control like the VHT Special 6 or no tone knob at all like the Harmony 8418. That's a match made in Heaven. Harmony should cement a deal with Joyo to package an AS pedal with every 8418 amp it sells.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I thought this was going to be an eight $5 lottery tickets and I’m a millionaire thread. A life changing pedal??? Your tone is still in your fingers. Always was. Always will be. But I’m just feeling curmudgeonly today.

13. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Holic

Jumped on the American Sound bandwagon earlier this year and wished I hadn't waited so long. The only drawback for me was no reverb. I picked up a Sonicake Twiggy Blues to cover the reverb and got delay, compression, overdrive and a cab sim to boot. I'm running them into a Headrush powered speaker. My entire load-in consists of my guitar in its case, the Headrush, and everything else fits in a backpack. I love it.

14. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

Definitely a great pedal. Absolutely worth $40. Good addition to any pedal collection. Don't always use it but I sure am glad I can whenever I can. She's a keeper.

Bill Sheehan and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Don’t forget that this is a Tech 21 clone pedal. It was the Tech 21 “California” that opened my eyes to amp emulation pedals. I sold all of my traditional OD/dirt pedals for amp emulation pedals 3 or 4 years ago and never going back.

16. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

I've been telling guitar friends for close to three years now that the Joyo American Sound is that Ace under the sleeve. I have a very nice amp, but my American Sound is always at hand in case the amp dies and I need to go direct to PA, or if the venue just won't let amps do their thing. It's a terrific pedal for the money, and I've shown it to many fellow guitars and convinced them to get one and they're all very thankful I did so. Enjoy!

PhredE, Bill Sheehan and nojazzhere like this.
  17. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

How could you hang out here and not already have a Joyo American? Based on the reviews here, I got one a few years ago ($30 back then!). When I plug it into my Twin, it’s like having every amp Fender ever made at my fingertips. Anyway, welcome to the club:)

18. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Does it really sound better, I know that's very subjective, just like to hear your thoughts. TIA.

Bill Sheehan and Obsessed like this.
  19. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I'm pedal ignorant for the most part. I've re-bought some of my old ones that got lost over time like a phase 100, still have a dyna comp from '79-'80 with maybe 10 minutes on it but I know zip about amp simulatiors etc.
    In the demo I didn't hear or see what he's playing the pedal through. Just a cab? The amp that the pedal is being demoed against? I got the part about the mic and Jensen speaker but what's missing?

Bill Sheehan and nojazzhere like this.
  20. nojazzhere

Don't feel cranky, Jeff, you've got some great gear....your CS Strat and your Mesa amp. Now spend $40 for a pedal, and everything will be perfect. ;)
    No, you're absolutely right about "tone is in the fingers", except there are "certain" things my fingers can't do.....including making a very good Vox amp sound like a Deluxe Reverb. (except, now it can)
    You didn't tell me! :(
    Somehow I missed the memo.

dkmw, P Thought, Bill Sheehan and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.