Gordon Smith copy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WingedWords, Oct 16, 2019.

1. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

A recent post about Gordon Smith guitars reminded me of this story.

With measurements and photos courtesy of a friendly local music shop I made a GS copy back in the 90's for my best friend, the artist Keir Smith who died some 12 years ago.

It was a bolt on neck version, all mahogany with a Kent Armstrong pickup. Feather weight and really turned out well.

We shared a lifelong passion for Bob Dylan and the neck plate was engraved with Keir's name and "PFL". If you listen carefully to the start of Like a Rolling Stone from the 1966 Manchester gig, just after the shout of "Judas", you can hear Bob say to the band "Play f'ing loud".

Here's Keir on handover day in a riverside pub in Greenwich. 20191016_104705.jpg

Happy memories.

A couple of pics of the build in progress in my long gone Dad's workshop. More happy memories. And a tear or two.

Scan_0001.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    RodeoTex, idjster, Blazer and 4 others like this.
  2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool, do you have more pics of the finished guitar?

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Neato. Yes, more pics would be cool.

4. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Thanks for the kind words, but that's all I have.
    After he died, Keir's widow offered "PFL" back to me, but we gave it to his banjo and guitar playing sculpture technician who'd worked his heart out helping Keir finish projects and leave a tidy legacy.

If interested:
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....2007/apr/03/guardianobituaries.artsobituaries

Whatever Keir did was always beautifully crafted. I was very pleased he liked PFL so much.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.