Google keeps asking for my birthday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I have 3 main Google accounts I like to use. One is personal, one for business and one for misc stuff. One all three I have email accounts and I use Google Drive to create documents.

For the last several months, on 2 of these accounts, Google has repeatedly asked (damn near demanded) that I enter my birthday. They're now saying they need my birthday information to stay in compliance with the government.

Till now I have refused to provide this information. I figure the Google folks already know way more than they need to about me. I'm worried tho that if I don't provide the information soon, they'll disable my accounts, which would be inconvenient.

Anyone else getting these Google Birthday demands?

I think its kinda creepy actually.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you are being phished. They have never asked for my birthday that I recall.

3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm... its only on my cell phone that I get these birthday demands.

I need a new phone.

guitar_paul1 and Boreas like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Screw that.

It's like a browser constantly asking you to set your location.

If everyone sets their location as Oslo, Norway, it may trigger an economic boom of investors snapping up property in and around that city, based on a perceivved population increase. How cool would that be? Probably pretty cool. Especially during the winter.

Remember that when you're cruising the Web--not necessarily even shopping online--information about you and your 'patterns of life' on the Web are The Product.

Yes, I know it's nearly impossible to prevent anyone from finding out specific things about me, but I'll be damned if I'm going to serve it to them on a plate.

5. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

It can be very helpful to RESET your phone back to factory settings. This dumps all data and malware. You also gain a bunch of storage when bloatware and other crap is purged. It all comes back eventually, but it can buy you time. I reset my Droid about once/year. But if you do a RESET, don't do a RESTORE of your data because you will likely just be re-loading any bloatware and malware. Just download new versions of the apps you actually use.

And NEVER give out your birthday. You may as well give out your SS number. If an app or website requires a birthday, I just give them a fake one that I can remember - like the first day of the month of my actual birthday.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  6. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They're wonderful people. They want to send you a cake.

7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Go into the actual account settings for each account and check your settings. Online resources can ask you for birthdate information to insure they are in compliance with the law (which varies globally) because, for example, folks under 13 are not permitted to have accounts on many types of systems. But never provide this information directly in response to an email or popup. ALWAYS access the account independently through the normal way you would do that to check on things like this to avoid a phishing scheme.

jvin248, cyclopean, tintag27 and 3 others like this.
  8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Just make one up. 01/01/19xx is one of the most common, because its used for individuals coming into the States from places that don't really track birthdates (Somalian people getting fishing license is who first told me this).
    So, lie away. Compliant.

9. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Never. And I wont , either.

cyclopean likes this.
  10. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

as far as i understand, it's part of some scaremongering/pearl clutching internet child safety laws in the US/europe. on the one hand, they had violated privacy of minors in the past, and had to pay some fines. but on the other, it's a cheap excuse to overstep their boundaries.

i was trying to watch some clips from pulp fiction or the sopranos on youtube when it popped up. it won't let me watch anything that's been remotely flagged as 18+ basically. i guess that's the trigger for asking they came up with? they haven't disabled anything for me, just "childproofed" youtube. that was like a month or two ago.

i guess be thankful you might be able to give a fake birthday. here they're asking for either a govt ID or a credit card from me. they really got some balls.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    cyclopean, RobRiggs and buster poser like this.
  11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine who is pretty ADD and not very computer savvy was messing around with his settings on Facebook, and somehow changed his birthdate to 2021. Facebook kicked him off because 0 years old is too young, and it took him weeks to be allowed back on.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Well around here people complain about google but regularly post to to 'show me your car' 'show me your view from your front door' 'post pics of your kids' 'show me your music room' 'post your guitar collection' 'put a face with a name' 'where do you live' 'grandkids pictures' and all that so clearly no one really cares about their privacy, despite the evil, evil, evil googles and facebooks.

pbenn likes this.
  13. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I have assumed Facebook is directed at the infant market anyway.

tintag27 and greenhornet like this.
  14. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

wHat aBoUt tHe CHildRen!!??!!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

loopfinding likes this.
  15. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

So you are ok with them having access to your personal and business email communications, your google drive documents, and your search history etc, but you don't want to give them the eight digit string of numbers representing your birthday, even though they could easily find it themselves if they wanted to?

Your TDPRI profile says you are 57, so I've already gotten half on those eight digits with 0 effort...

They just want to make sure you aren't a minor. Give them 01/01/your birth year. Or 01/01/1980 or something easy to remember. They aren't the government, you can lie to them if you want to.

16. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Give them a birthday. Now is the only chance you can change it. Mine is close to Christmas. As a kid I wanted to celebrate it in June as other kids got cool stuff for their birthday. I usually was told they would add something special at Christmas. My parents are both dead so I can call BS on that.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  17. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

If they could hook infants, they would. Those are future customers/addicts/products to them.

Did you hear about zillow buying properties in areas where people from wealthy zip codes were browsing? I like your idea!

Peegoo likes this.
  18. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

we can't save the children until we end finsta once and for all.

RobRiggs likes this.
  19. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle Tele-Meister

I was born January 1st, 1970. Well…at least as far as google and all other online services know…

nvilletele and RobRiggs like this.
  20. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

give them a birthday 01/01/1900 works well

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.