Goofy mail box smashing vandals caught in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jun 17, 2012.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Last night some kids drove down our country road and they smashed 17 mail boxes.

Our mail box was one of the oversized boxes on a nice set post. They drove over it and got out of the vehicle and threw it in the road. We didn't hear a thing. We have a long driveway. My daughter noticed it this morning when she went to feed horses.

We filed a police report.

All the neighbors filed reports (I'm told).

The Sherrif called 10 minutes ago. He found one of the vandal's wallets by one of the smashed mail boxes.

The goofy teenager dropped his wallet while clubbing a mailbox with a base ball bat!

Instant karma?

The Sherrif went to the kids parents house, the kid freaked out and confessed and turned in his two buddies.

His bill fold fell from his shorts!!?!?!

It's all about cargo shorts. I suspect cargo shorts and foul play.

I'm going to Home Depot now to buy a 4 x 4 post and a <%#*¥£? mailbox.

2. trailboss

trailboss Tele-Meister

4" steel pipe, set in cement, with a steel-braced box structure should do the trick. I'd almost pay to see some twerp try to whack that one :)

3. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

Karma is a b**ch, right?

4. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear about that John.

All our mailboxes are in brick and concrete here in the subdivision i live in and we haven't had that problem............i'm sure they could just run into them and knock them over but will make a hell of a noise. Most of us have many firearms out here and the sheriff lives on the next street over :lol:

5. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Sorry to hear that. Rascally kids. Should probably take that kids Dad with you to HD and let him use his credit card. I'm with trailboss on this one. When we lived out in the countryside we had 4" steel pipe sunk about 3 feet down in concrete. It came up and out with an elbow and 30" extension. We welded a diamond plate platform on it and bolted down our mailbox. When the snowplows would come too close to it, it would just turn in it's hole. I pity the fool that would try to run over that.

Those kids will probably be doing a few extra chores over the summer. That will be good for them.

6. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

Usually see a rash of those around here after an airing of this...

7. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

A friend of mine left his wallet while pool hopping back in H.S. He never lived it down.

M

8. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

he'll probably grow up to be a bank robber who leaves his driver's license behind, the same one he used to open an account so the manager would take his cash deposit behind the counter. guy from our town actually did that.

we're all so proud. :(

9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'll bet that's not all that fell from his shorts after the Sheriff turned up at his house. :twisted:

Property damage ain't cool and it should be dealt with seriously but I have to say that at least they weren't hurting people or killing kittens. Those sorts of behaviours are far more worrisome.

10. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Love it. Almost makes it worth the doing it, just to get caught !!!!

11. studio1087

My son and I just finished the new wooden post and box. Back in business......

[​IMG]

Here we have the alleged perpetrator.......

[​IMG]

They also took out some real estate signs. When I was 16 we just focused on girls. Chasing girls was more fun than chasing mail boxes. Those were different times.

:cool:

12. bossking7

bossking7 Tele-Afflicted

Same thing happened to me last month.

13. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Kids really need to find better ways to spend their time.

At least it's nice to see such a quick karmic turnaround

14. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

The best defense I heard for this.

Buy two mail boxes, one big oversized one and one regular sized one. Remove the door on the small one and place it inside the big one. Fill the space between the two with concrete. Problem solved.

Our biggest mail box problem is with the snow plows. I lost 3 one winter. The city replaced them all. I think the plow driver got educated after the city got tired replacing a whole neighborhood's worth of mail boxes 3 times.

15. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Pics of horses please.

Ya'll have horses? I'm jealous.

16. studio1087

Taken this weekend at a show.

My wife and her horse Ronan.....

[​IMG]

My daughter and her horse Isabella.....

[​IMG]

I'm very proud of my wife and daughter. They ski and scuba dive as well as they ride. We're nuts. It helps to live with crazy women! :cool:

17. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

What a Fantastic Idea!

18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If there was any real justice, those kids would be out there on the road replacing all the posts and mailboxes.

19. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

I'm glad that I never participated in it, but some guys I graduated with smashed over 200 mailboxes when we were seniors. This is in a town of less than 2,000 people as well, so 1 out of 10 people were affected by these shenanigans.

The police looked into it, but they never took it anywhere.

I think it is a juvenile practice, but I can tell you that the guys who did it were not hoodlums. Stupid and immature yes, but not the kind of people who turn into career criminals. I'd say that it was harmless fun, if the poor people had not have had to replace their mailboxes.

I know that we've had ours smashed many times, so maybe it is not that big of a deal to those of us who are used to it, but I can understand your frustration. I live out in the middle of the woods, and it's nice that the worst criminal activity that you have to worry about is a couple drunken highschoolers going out and smashing mailboxes with a Louisville Slugger.

20. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Yeah, kids do stupid things. When I was 13 or 14, on Halloween, I went around with some of my "friends" and busted up a bunch of people's jack o lanterns on their porches and on the sidewalks. We didn't have anything against the people, the kids I was with just kept egging each other on. We hit five or six houses when we saw the red and blue lights come on and my "friends" bailed. The cop took me home.

After my mom got done slapping me with her flip flop (laugh all you want, that hurt), she took me around to every house we hit, made me knock on the door, apologize for what I had done, and made me clean it up. I'm glad she did. I never did anything like that again. Never hung with those kids again, either.

Edit to add: your horses are beautiful!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.