Goodwill store bicycle find!

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Wow - I always keep the kickstand - it can't possibly weigh that much.:D
Oh, I keep it. I just don't keep it on the bike.

I got this thinking my son would want it for when he goes back to college, but he isn't interested. I don't know now whether to keep it or flip it. It's such a nice bike, I want to keep it, even though I have another Schwinn hybrid from the same era that's actually a little nicer.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
@sloppychops if you keep the kick stand you will cut your chance of a post selected for the leaning bicycle Facebook group.

I don't know your age or shape but am not a personal fan of long stems. That bike should fit the modern gravel tires that are much nicer than some touring type or cheapos.

:)

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I still love steel. My Kona is a “better” bike, but on my Masi, I act like the hooligan I once thought I was. Tight geometry and skinny tires help, but I’m gonna claim it’s the steel frame that makes it that way.
If I could get a custom bike made it would be steel. No question. Probably something Italian.

My current ride is 4130. After trying aluminum for a while, I looked for steel specifically.

jays0n

Friend of Leo's
What a great find. I would also have jumped on that (literally :)
Great Frame to build on, or to just tune up and ride. Nice job rescuing it.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Great bikes! I still have my (purchased new) CrossCut...although all that really remains in action is the frame and crank arms, having undergone an extensive overhaul a few years ago :cool:.
I have a CrossCut, too. Bought it for $100 a couple years ago. I'll post a photo later if you post one of yours.

I tried to get Goodwill to come down on their $50 price for the CrissCross, but they wouldn't budge. Now I feel like I stole it at $50.

It looked really dingy when I bought it. The photos here are after I cleaned and polished it all up.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have a CrossCut, too.

My Crosscut. Ordered it new and had it shipped to Japan where I was stationed...and carried it on the ship with me. I used it for commuting and it served as my first MTB. This iteration (but with different bars) came to life five years ago when I started road riding. The big maiden voyage was the 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge out of Chattanooga. It has since been reclassified to "greenway bike".

crosscut.PNG

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
My Crosscut. Ordered it new and had it shipped to Japan where I was stationed...and carried it on the ship with me. I used it for commuting and it served as my first MTB. This iteration (but with different bars) came to life five years ago when I started road riding. The big maiden voyage was the 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge out of Chattanooga. It has since been reclassified to "greenway bike".

View attachment 998652

Cool. Those are some crazy Triathlon type bar extensions there! Could come in handy if you run across a bunch of protesters blocking the street.

Here's my CrossCut. I saw you have Ergon grips on yours and it reminded me that I have a pair of those stashed in my parts bin. So I rooted them out and put them on. Wow! Super comfy grips.

IMG_2957.jpg
IMG_2959.jpg

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Haven't weighed it yet.

Yeah, the reflectors on the wheels are on my list to remove. Already took off the front reflector. Will probably keep the rear one.

In my fanatic days, we always pulled reflectors off. Or never installed them. Too heavy, cause out-of-balance issues.

But if you get stuck out at night, they really do make you show up to cars.

For a really lightweight reflector option, get some reflective tape. You can find it at autoparts stores, bike stores, Harbor Freight, Amazon, etc. Wrap a piece around two spokes so that you end up with a "reflector" that's about 1" x 2", both sides reflective. Put two at 180 degrees on the wheels, front and rear. Instant reflectors that weigh so little you can't measure it.