Goodbye tubes, welcome Yamaha THR100H !

MajorSeven

TDPRI Member
I know what you mean by "sweet". I'm not sure it really gets near the sound of cranked blackface tone except by dialing in the built-in boost. When I was last in full rehearsal mode, I also felt that it needed some of that boost to make itself heard - although we've since been talking about the need to bring the overall noise level down a bit. It's certainly very, very practical at home practice or other lower volume levels.

"we've since been talking about the need to bring the overall noise level down a bit."

Good Luck! :))

tattypicker

Tele-Meister
"we've since been talking about the need to bring the overall noise level down a bit."

Good Luck! :))
Lol. There is, believe it or not, a chance. Recent circumstances have forced us to rehearse away from the studio in a living room setting. With everything turned down to avoid a neighbourhood uprising, we discovered that being able to hear everything that was going on could be an advantage...

beninma

Friend of Leo's
I agree. You can have tons of fun with tubeamps if you're Joe Bonamassa. But as a hobby musician they tend to give you more trouble than fun, at least to my experience.

I always wonder about these kind of posts. Tube amps are something I turn on and they play and you come back day after day and do the same thing and everything is fine.

People who think they are too much trouble, is that the kind of people who have to buy old ones and then roll tubes and then have to take them for service and swap the speakers and keep messing with them and messing them up?

Modelers are all new.. you gotta compare them to a brand new tube amp, not a 30, 40, 50 year old tube amp that is a major project. And most guys who buy modelers do not sit there and rip them apart and try to swap parts out.

The amp that has given me the most trouble is actually my Yamaha THR! But I bought it used, and I bought my tube amps new. That damn Yamaha has been apart 3x over issues. Luckily it has been trouble free for a few years now. Since I take care of my stuff I bet if I had bought the Yamaha brand new it would have been 100% reliable too. I suspect it was owned by a smoker before I got it.

lefty73

Tele-Afflicted
Nice score!

Years ago I had what I believe is a distant relative to your amp - the Yamaha DG60-112 - and man... I miss that amp. What a great sounding grab-and-go combo with a few unique (for the time) features. Ate pedals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and had some good sounding crunch and lead tones on its own.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
The amp that has given me the most trouble is actually my Yamaha THR! But I bought it used, and I bought my tube amps new. That damn Yamaha has been apart 3x over issues. Luckily it has been trouble free for a few years now. Since I take care of my stuff I bet if I had bought the Yamaha brand new it would have been 100% reliable too. I suspect it was owned by a smoker before I got it.

Wow that's a surprise re Yamaha. How did they do with the fixing and customer service?

beninma

Friend of Leo's
Wow that's a surprise re Yamaha. How did they do with the fixing and customer service?

Yamaha is horrific to deal with. Not helpful at all, I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get through to anyone and everything is stupid expensive to the point it'd never be worth it to send anything to them to be repaired. End up calling multiple wings of the company and everyone keeps sending you somewhere else before you finally get directed to some hidden website that sucks to try and order parts and everything is astronomically expensive.

One of the big issues I had is I bought the damn thing used on Reverb and it was mis-represented. It did not come with the correct Yamaha power adapter, it came with a Canon printer power brick that happened to power the amp on but created all kinds of issues. It was not easy for me to get a replacement from Yamaha and it cost $100 + shipping IIRC. I had paid $100 for the amp used and thought I was getting a deal. I ended up paying as much as just buying a new one once all was said and done.

The other stuff was mostly just the amp having gremlins and having the pots act up because the amp was dirty inside. I basically had to disassemble it a few times and clean the living daylights out of the boards and everything else and then clean the pots, now it's been good for a good long while.

None of that was Yamaha's fault.. it's all just another point in favor of "don't use Reverb" for me. If Reverb had been better the amp would have been returned.

MajorSeven

TDPRI Member
Curious to know what you like to play, @MajorSeven .

Rock'n'Roll of the 50s and 60s, Blues, and I am trying to find my way into some Country pickin.
Love Funk & Soul as well.
But I am just a hobby player jamming with a few friends hoping that we will get back to playing some 10 gigs a year as of next summer when this pandemic will be somewhat under control.

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
SS is getting close, real close and the effects are spot on, but if you've heard those 60's-70's tube amps well,
it's a hard decision (unless your back is of questionable health)

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
Yamaha is horrific to deal with. Not helpful at all, I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get through to anyone and everything is stupid expensive to the point it'd never be worth it to send anything to them to be repaired. End up calling multiple wings of the company and everyone keeps sending you somewhere else before you finally get directed to some hidden website that sucks to try and order parts and everything is astronomically expensive.

One of the big issues I had is I bought the damn thing used on Reverb and it was mis-represented. It did not come with the correct Yamaha power adapter, it came with a Canon printer power brick that happened to power the amp on but created all kinds of issues. It was not easy for me to get a replacement from Yamaha and it cost $100 + shipping IIRC. I had paid $100 for the amp used and thought I was getting a deal. I ended up paying as much as just buying a new one once all was said and done.

The other stuff was mostly just the amp having gremlins and having the pots act up because the amp was dirty inside. I basically had to disassemble it a few times and clean the living daylights out of the boards and everything else and then clean the pots, now it's been good for a good long while.

None of that was Yamaha's fault.. it's all just another point in favor of "don't use Reverb" for me. If Reverb had been better the amp would have been returned.

Wow. massive pain. Salutary lesson.

tattypicker

Tele-Meister
One of the big issues I had is I bought the damn thing used on Reverb and it was mis-represented. It did not come with the correct Yamaha power adapter, it came with a Canon printer power brick that happened to power the amp on but created all kinds of issues. [...]

Is Reverb that much worse than eBay for buyer protection? I'd expect a quick smart refund via eBay in a situation like that unless the seller's description was very explicit.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
This week the last tube amp I owned left the house.
Too loud, too heavy, too expensive etc.
Here is my new rig, and so far I am very happy with IT!
I use the CLEAN channel only in Class A/B in 6V6 mode with three different Overdrives in front of it (TRex Alberta II and Dr Swamp and J Rockett Blue Note).

Congrats! That's a big move. I haven't ditched all my amps yet, but they certainly don't get used very often anymore. My Helix (direct to FOH) does 90% of the heavy lifting these days.

The Yamaha is a great amp... I know a few players that tour with them, and they love them!