Good work FBI (Operation Varsity Blues).

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 13, 2019.

1. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

“Anyone who is not American, watching these indictments of parents who allegedly paid to get their kids designated as soccer players and sailors so they could get into Stanford and Yale, will wonder why playing soccer or sailing should help you get into Stanford or Yale”

Via:

https://twitter.com/gcaw/status/1105497540907159552

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I took the test and passed...but I was living in a van down by the river and they couldn't get me the paperwork...

John Backlund likes this.
  3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Admissions might be screwed up universally, but I don’t think that’s a reason not to investigate crimes.

The case file is a good read. Pretty slimy behavior all around. Must suck to be so rich and powerful and raise a below average kid. There’s the ego hit, but apparently there’s also a financial hit.

The fraudulent donations to the nonprofit, and (I’m assuming) corresponding tax deductions, will be bad news for many. Then factor in wires or the mail and you’re looking at a pretty dire situation. I can’t say I feel very sorry for any of these people.

ale.istotle likes this.
  4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, like the way they deal with prostitution.

tery likes this.
  5. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm imagining a movie about this scam. William H. Macy would be terrific in the role of the hapless husband whose wife gets indicted.

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

The "conspiracy theory" seems to be that there is two tiers of standards and two tiers of justice; one for me and another for thee. There are countless examples of this. This college admissions scandal (and it is a scandal) would be one more example. No paranoia necessary, just add the facts that we know along with the charging documents and evidence and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. I wonder how much real world evidence does a theory need to become a full blown "thing." Hmm.

The value of a university degree is based on the reputation of the university (of which admission standards is one metric) and the accomplishments of its graduates. A university is supposed to take smart and good people and arm them with knowledge and integrity so that they can then be more useful to the world around them. Universities ought to be cultivating better leaders so that the world is led by better people and therefore a better place. Pretty basic stuff really. This scandal, added to many many other questionable aspects of the university culture, draws the above into question and is another good entry point to question the value of a college degree. I mean, if everyone has one, how valuable is it really? That's to say nothing of the content that colleges teach.

This isn't a question of whether life is fair, of course its not. Its not supposed to be. But when we find instances of corruption and inconsistent standards within the institutions we are supposed to rely upon and trust to serve the public then we should be angry. When we find instances where wealthy people are buying things that should be earned, then we ought to recognize how that devalues the very things that others have earned. We should call them out and demand corrective action. Integrity isn't a malleable thing. And it can't be bought. The upshot of all of this is that people are rightly outraged (you can see it here and elsewhere on the internet). The outrage is a reflection of our integrity and our understanding of how these institutions are failing to serve the greater good. The celebrity hypocricy is really just the icing on the cake, ha.

It will be fun watching this case move through the courts. I think in the end we'll find that integrity is still more valuable than "cultural narrative."

getbent and GibbyTwin like this.
  7. JuneauMike

The focus is rightly on the fact that this market exists at all. Period.

(also, tax evasion cause that's pretty much a catch all). :lol::lol::lol::lol:

GibbyTwin and tery like this.
  8. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I use to do AML for a living and, yes, you are correct on all these points!

9. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Another funny thing is that neither one of a Loughlin girl's parents even went to college from what I read.

10. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Well, you can pay people to write papers and take exams in college, too. Or just get a study group and cheat. I had a freshman-year college course where we had thousands of pages of outside readings that we had to master and use on the final. I did all my own work, only to find that most of the class had formed teams, everyone on the team read maybe one of the books, and then they all convened to do the take-home final together. The amount of cheating that goes on in all aspects of higher education is horrendous. Yet it's still less of a scandal that college president and administrator salaries. Wonder why tuition is so high?

GibbyTwin likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

President/administrator salaries have nothing on head coach salaries at US universities.

jrblue likes this.
  12. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

53356770_632702917202315_7998666080950157312_n.jpg

straightface, bgmacaw and JuneauMike like this.
  13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This could easily have been the <thread> reply...:lol::lol::lol:

14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

But first, we have to figure out how she aged 10 years in 30.

She must've gotten pearl cream in the 1980s.

Ancient chinese secret.

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

The false equivalence of the JFK assassination and the current charges for FRAUD in the Varsity Blues case is a clever vehicle. I'm just calling it out so that folks can recognize it for what it is.

For facts and figures and specifics about folks seeking power and holding on to it in the US, you need to look no farther than the schools the leaders of the 'free world' attended. If you look at the folks who run the world, you will, indeed, find that it is a small world and a tight circle. Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg didn't drop out of Cal State Fullerton...

While I am a still FIRM believer in the land of opportunity where, as you say, you get out of it what you put into it, to not recognize that some people hit home runs in life, there are others who start at third base. If you look at the history of just the US, you will find that the great fortunes were sometimes earned legitimately, in the majority of cases, things like trusts (and the subsequent anti-trust legislation) and shortcuts and criminal activities also led to 'great' companies and 'leaders'....

Where would we start with names? Hmmm, think of Bill Gates and Microsoft. He built a massive company and if you know the whole story, on vapor. Good for him. BUT, Microsoft has been found liable and guilty in courts in ALMOST every country on the planet for breaking the law many, many, many times and it was calculated by his company as efficacious to their business plan. From those dealings which took money from millions (maybe a billion) people, he amassed a great fortune. Now, he is using that fortune to ostensibly 'do good' around the planet. Does that make him 'good'? If the monies that he spends were entangled in wrong doing for which the fines and punishments were effectively slaps on the wrist that did not end the abuse, do those ill gotten gains get converted because he uses the money (in his name, with the credit and all the itinerant virtue signalling) for presumed 'good'?

There is no shortage of data regarding folks rising to power, conspiring to keep it and doing bad deeds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0156767902/?tag=tdpri-20

Start here, give it a read. At the end, you can move through the decades and find not further evidence, but proof time and again of wrong doing with complicit arms of leadership entangled like an octopus' orgy.

16. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

University presidents are fairly interchangeable, and have little economic value for the university. A coach who can recruit is someone who can bring prestige, revenue, coverage, recognition, alumi dollars and potentially better future alumni payment streams.

The university president is pretty much relegated to making PC statements that make no sense at all. When I was going to giant land grant university, the president and probably a bunch of string pullers decided they'd no longer put up a Christmas tree. The group who put it up was the kids who were tour guides at the school, and IIRC, they did it as a volunteer activity for fun.

When the school paper asked why there was no Christmas tree, the university president said "the ambassadors are too busy to put it up this year".

I doubt they were ever asked. He went to jail (you can probably guess which school I went to), and when he did, I cheered. Not over the thing he went to jail for, but because everything that I ever heard him say seemed to be engineered and materially untrue at the same time.

I'd have more tolerance for a hundred mike leach's telling the truth and sticking kids in hot sheds to punish them for bad behavior.

17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Fun debate question.

If Lori Loughlin looked like Kathy Bates, would we have ever heard about this scandal?

Being pretty usually helps people skate, but it can also make you the target of retribution. If Kathy Bates was heading this whole thing, I doubt we'd ever see the story other than as one of those little links with a one paragraph story.

18. JuneauMike

Hmm. No, its not a clever vehicle. It was more of a non sequitur really. The only relation seemed to be that "conspiracy theorists" would likely have an opinion on both examples. But so what, so too would people who eschew conspiracy theories.

19. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Research suggests that if you are white and you get into both Elite U and State U and end up going to Elite U, you may get paid more as a starting salary, but you'll end up in pretty much the same place after a few years that you would have had you gone to State U. You get a bit more of a bump from the elite school if you are non-white as the networking effect is more important for you.

As for the benefits of college, some of it is a sorting mechanism in that it indicates something about your skills that you could finish the degree (about 1/2 of those who start college drop out). But there is also research that shows that for those high school grads that look identical (and both could get into the same colleges), those that go make a lot more income over their lives than those that don't. So college does make you more productive. Although, a disproportionate amount of the bump comes from STEM degrees. In terms of surviving the Elite U education...these cheater kids will probably do fine so long as they major in one of the softer majors... but they won't do any better career wise than had they gone elsewhere.

So it is complicated.

I think for these families, it was as much about being able to put the bumper sticker on the car as it was about getting a better education for the kid. Elite colleges are a consumption good (for parent and student) as much as they are a means to gain human capital.

Harry Styron and JuneauMike like this.
  20. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    GibbyTwin and william tele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.