Good work FBI (Operation Varsity Blues).

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 13, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One of those things that you know have been going on forever.

Don't get me into (well off Alumni) and their kids.. that practice has been going on for millenniums

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Bob Saget!!

kafka likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Frank !!:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol:

william tele likes this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My son is currently doing the Princeton review prior to the SAT .

I’d rather take that $400+ and add however much more money to it and have him just walk into Stanford.

Then he could get a worthless degree that will take him a decade to pay off for a job that doesn’t exist...

6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

How is this any different from other things going on?

Go to DisneyLand. You can get a ticket, or for more money, a fastpass ticket that allows you to go into a higher priority shorter line, or even more money will get you an ultra fastpass ticket, which guarantees you less than a 10 minute wait.

Now TicketBastards gives you a "fast entrance" option at some venues - skip the lines and get right in - for a fee. This is becoming popular for venues that have a standing section by the stage.

It is all about who can pay the most to get what they want.

OK, the college scandal is different, I get that, but it just seems to fit with everything that happens anymore - "them thar that gots the dough gets whats theys wants".

7. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

The difference? It's illegal.

Bassman8, Jerry J, Toadtele and 12 others like this.
  8. ale.istotle

ale.istotle TDPRI Member

The actual charges are interesting. Apparently most of this paying-someone-to-rig-your-test and bribery-for-admittance comes under federal mail fraud statutes which isn't what I would have guessed. More obvious is the outright tax fraud - much of the money was routed through a fake charity and then they DEDUCTED their bribes from their taxable incomes by disguising them as charity.

Also interesting is how some spend $15k and others $500k for essentially the same outcome.

thegeezer, DrPepper, jrblue and 2 others like this.
  9. imwjl

One of the projects assigned to me when dedicated and shared high speed Internet was new was for the sports fundraising arm of a major university. Of course the university had high speed Internet but the few hours across a few days in that office showed they had their reasons for it being separate, and what a warped version of welfare it was. I confess to feeling good when local news revealed some scandals and house cleaning of people was done.

Our across the street neighbor is now the long-term interim dean of students at a major university. He's got a very interesting job keeping life fair and welcoming for all. A fair chance for all is really important to me. I'm from an off the boat family and WWII GI bill made it possible for my dad to become highly educated. Affordable college made a really big difference for me.

Fair or not, my daughter's application included the option to show two parents and a grandparent as graduates. I don't think that counted for much or anything in her case because she's a very high performance kid.

I noticed that. I'm not a legal expert but those are huge areas with a whole lot of statutory and case law in those two realms.

Some clubs have always cost more than others he he he.....

DrPepper likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You notice the University of Phoenix wasn't named in the charges? Wonder why? ;)

Deeve, DrPepper, mstan72 and 2 others like this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Money talks. Money is responsible for a whole lot worse than this.
    It has basically corrupted just about everything on the planet.

Mase, DrPepper, Toadtele and 4 others like this.
  12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Close. It is the root cause of most corruption on the planet.

13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

yeah FBI!!!

yet somehow they could never prosecute the big banks who comitted fraud for years and faked mortgage documents (linda green signature on millions of documents) and even set up a document mill to create documents out of thin air to fabricate claims on deeds and mortgages.

yeah FBI, go get those dummies faking sat scores.....

meanwhile Wells Fargo is still commiting fraud on customer accounts...

Mase, Mad Kiwi, DrPepper and 10 others like this.
  14. magicfingers99

just want to point out how stupid the parents are (guess their progeny inheirited their mental skills) someone in this scam paid 500k$ to get their kids into USC.

for 500k$ donation you can buy a degree from many colleges domestic and foreign and the kid doesn't even have to attend classes.

course an ivy league degree will probably cost a couple of million dollar donation...
    you get what you pay for when it comes to "education"....

NothingGoatboat likes this.
  15. magicfingers99

close, i'd say you can remove the words "just about" and you'll be on the money...
    and the funny thing is money doesn't really exist, its like a mental virus we share, that has really bad side effects.

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The root cause is those who control the money and refuse to consider any alternatives because they benefit the most from it. Funny how only select cases of corruption are dealt with or brought to light.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

the story is salacious... the admission process at universities is perverse at minimum WITHOUT this scandal and arbitrary in ways that the average person IF THEY KNEW would see the entire university system as a racket.

I'd be interested to see what the graduation rates are for the 'cheaters' vs. the kids admitted under 'standard' conditions. I hope that someone provides that at some point. I suspect they will be about the same or a little better for the 'cheats'.

Entrance essays and resumes have been faked for a really long time... and alums and 'benefactors' have ALWAYS gotten special privs for their relatives... I just love the breathless 'justice at last' response... you gotta be kidding, right?

And then there are the people who will ascribe all of this to our 'helicoptering' age and our 'win at all cost' and 'honesty is lost' culture... and all I can hear is that graduate from the Rhode Island School of Design singing 'same as it ever was'....

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Ah well, you can pay to get them in, but ...

[​IMG]

19. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If there wasn't money, the sociopaths would just manipulate people directly for fun. Look at L. Ron Hubbard. I was listening to his former accountant talking about "did he just do everything for money"? And the guy said "no, he piled it up, only cared about it so far as it signaled progress with people." (as in, manipulating people and building sort of a fiefdom was more important than the money itself).

Nightclub Dwight and nojazzhere like this.
  20. imwjl

Let's not stress the moderators or get off topic in a trouble causing way.

Yeah, but that won't put the child in good spouse finding club.

My second to last trip home from Cayman Islands had my ears catching a girl and her boyfriend chatting with some business people her dad hires on that same flight and surprised to see her. They wondered why she was on a commercial flight. The poor child couldn't use the family plane her dad took to Switzerland and she admitted her dad was not happy with her boyfriend and her not finishing school. They had to suffer GCM => ATL => DEN => ASE on commercial flights and then leave Aspen before her dad got there. Just think of the dad's stress. Think of how much happier he would have been if she was with the right guy from the right school instead of a resort employee bum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.