Good value pots and switches?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by trxx, Jan 22, 2020.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I need some parts for a couple of Squire strats, and I might as well just upgrade all the pots and the switches that came in them. They haven't proven to be durable. One bad switch and two bad pots among them. Looking for some good value string trees too. One set on one guitar tends to catch the strings causing a clicking sound when tuning, like when nut slots are too tight (they aren't on this guitar). Come to think of it, both of those guitars still have plastic nuts, and I might as well upgrade them as well. Seems like I remember seeing blank bone nuts and string trees on ebay that looked fine.

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

buy it nice or buy it twice. get name brand stuff. CTS and Duncan come to mind, originals from Gibson or Fender are good, nothing less than Alpha. as for the switches... I'm thinking original manufacturer, and NOT the ones with the PC board in them.

StewMac has all the nut/tree things in one place and I have never been disappointed by their stuff

3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I'll take a look, but I'm always disappointed by StewMac prices when I look over there. I would classify very little over as good value stuff.

4. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Pots & Switches? Check out: lovemyswitches.com
    Low cost, value and FAST.

5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I agree - nothing less than alpha pots - I learned the hard way that there is a lot of junk out there. Bourns, Fender, CTS, Duncan and DiMarzio will all be good. Alpha is a decent upgrade for a low end guitar and I’ve never been disappointed by them. They are a bit cheaper than the others but have been reliable for me.

As for blade switches, I prefer the Oak Grigsby switches. They can be sold under the Fender or Allparts names, as well. Typically a little cheaper than the CRL type, but I prefer the feel of them - very solid and reliable. Be warned that I have found some CRL style switches sold by KAISH than were NOT actual CRL switches and they were absolutely unusable.

6. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

When I'm rewiring a guitar, the first thing I do is find a service diagram that illustrates the type of circuit I want.
    https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000820646-Telecaster-Service-Diagrams

Then I get the part numbers for the pots, switches, and any other parts I might need and Google them up to buy.
    For example: a no-load circuit uses a completely different kind of pot than a Grease Bucket circuit or TBX circuit.
    The only exception to this is the blade switch. I much prefer the CTS switch with a spring over the switch (made in Mexico) that you invariably get when going by the Fender part number.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.