1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good Teleaster replicas

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by danfenton, Jun 19, 2009.

1. danfenton

danfenton TDPRI Member

I'm looking to buy a tele cheap and i've been looking around and found the brand Vintage who make a particular model i am interested in the TC200 which can be found on this page http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Are these guitars any good? i was originally going to buy a second hand fender 50s telecaster but if these are very similar i would be tempted to sacrifice a fancy logo. These retail at around £120 which is ridiculously cheap it almost seems too good to be true.

Is there any other brands who make good replicas? or would you suggest sticking to buying a second hand Fender?

Thanks
    Dan

2. Jason R.

Jason R. Tele-Holic

If you want a well-made, made in the USA T-style guitar, consider the Peavey Reactors made in the 1990s. They pop up on eBay quite often. I bought one in ready to play condition for $150. I modded it with new pickups, bridge saddles and tuners into a guitar that suits me. Goes well with my 'real' Tele.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

the Peavey is a fine guitar dead stock ... mod 'em if you will !!!

4. dobrodoc

dobrodoc Tele-Holic

I know a lot of guys who are going crazy over the Peaveys. The necks look a little overdone, but that's just me. They sound good, just as they are.

5. caytele

caytele Tele-Meister

...i can vouch for the Peaveys.,....in fact Peavey made 3 or more models modelled from the Tele...the "Reactor"(base model), "Reactor AX,(a little more "uptown" with ceramic humbucker pickups that fit the single coil configuration, with the twin bar m,agnets instead of individual pole pieces. and finally the top of the line "Generation Series....great guitars for the price...$150-$300..on Ebay...some of these latter ones had "active" pickups and mahogany bodies with a maple cap...somewhat like the "Steve Cropper" model issued around the same time...
    poplar body, modern heavy bridge, sweet sounding ceramic pickups, adjustable necks(like the Fenders with the Allen key adjustment accessed through a small hole the neck plate) excellent playability with its relatively flat fretboard radius...

6. Aturach

Aturach TDPRI Member

Here's a couple of Peavey Generation Series 2's:

Amber (Jan '92):

[​IMG]

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Aturach/S2/?action=view&current=Amber1.jpg

Blue (Oct '89):

[​IMG]

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Aturach/S2/?action=view&current=Blue1.jpg

The S1 & S2 were identical except the S1 has a fixed bridge and a standard nut. Both have active Bartolini designed pickups with the "faux" coil tap. As you can see on the "Blue", someone locked the Kahler Spyder down and installed a standard nut :mad:, effectively turning it into a "defacto" S1. I just read recently that the MSRP in 1989 was $1300. These are getting very hard to find. I have seen a couple of S1's on Ebay recently, but no S2's in a while. These are one of the most under valued guitars around (the last S1 I saw on Ebay was a amber flame and went for $350 !!). The overall quality is every bit a $1000+ guitar of today. If you can find one, don't think twice, grab it. It's a Tele on steroids :lol:

These are USA made (in Mississippi)

Aturach

7. danfenton

danfenton TDPRI Member

The peavey looks good i'll keep an eye out for them on ebay, just a shame i'm UK based and the US ebay has far more listings. I'm not a big fan of the generations, i want a really typical telecaster look so i'm looking at 50's style guitars.

I also checked out some reviews of the Vintage copy, they averaged at about 8/10 which is good enough for me seen as though it's not going to be my primary guitar.

Thanks for the help!

8. Savage

Savage TDPRI Member

Anyone familiar with the J & D (Jack & Danny) brand tele-clones? I've ordered a JD-TL-L in candy apple red from Fret City Music in Toronto and have read some decent reviews over at Harmony-Central ... they are a Chinese built knock off which I wouldn't be surprized are manufactured in the same factory as the SX teles that Rondo Music are selling.

9. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

A shop here has had several Strats and Tele's from Vintage.
    I have played many of them, and I think they make a fine guitar. The local luthier is impressed by them as well, good value for the money.
    They seem to be close to the Fender MIM line.

My favourite though was a relic v6 Strat which felt and played wonderfully.
    I should have bought it.

10. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Vintage make some nice guitars IMO. I owned a Vintage resonator for a while, and it was one of the best of the low end resos. All the Vintage electrics I have played have been really nice, and some of their newer less derivative ones are very good and well regarded now.

11. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

OK, I'll answer your question.

The Vantage guitars are really well made and good to play but for the money I'd go for a Squier Vintage Vibe Telecaster. If you shop round you should get one for a good price.

If you're leaning towards a Vantage and they are available locally, go and play a few as there was a difference in set up and weight in the few I played.

Hope this helps. For the record, I know nothing about Peavey Teles!

:lol: Peter

12. telecster

telecster Tele-Meister

SX STL50 by Rondo $109. A great deal. Just got a CAR changed the saddles (3 brass)and it is a really nice sounding guitar. Search the SXSTL50 owners club for comments and pictures.

13. Tycho

Tycho TDPRI Member

Note: Vantage and Vintage = two different brands.

14. Bluesbend

Bluesbend Banned

+1 on the SX STL's.

15. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Telecaster replica????

I would say FMIC is making the best out there, they even have Leo's name on the headstock, which they can legally do. ;)

Ron Kirn

16. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well spotted!

:oops: Peter

17. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You're right Ron .......... Fender does make pretty good Telecaster copies.

18. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Vintage makes really good guitars for the price. I've owned a TC200 and now I have a V6, both great guitars. Make sure you get the newer model with Wilkinson hardware.

19. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

LOGAN GUITARS.

20. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

Never seen those particular (Vintage) branded guitars before, but the spec'd components look good.
    My Jimmie Vaughan Strat had a poplar body and I thought it sounded good.

I also recently acquired a Squire Tele Custom II for cheap with an agathis body that was good too.

As long as they're solid (not plywood), and have decent components, I think some knock-offs can be great little guitars for cheap.

Having said that, I believe FMIC made stuff (or licensed) may be more consistent from guitar to guitar, but that's just a guess. I could be shown to be way off.

If you like the guitar I believe a good guitar is a good guitar no matter who made it, where, or when.
    'Course, same goes for a lousy guitar. Sometimes brand name means nothing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.