1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good solid state pedal base

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by reingarnichts, Oct 17, 2020.

1. reingarnichts

reingarnichts TDPRI Member

Hi there,
    I finally ended up with a Telecaster-ish guitar (Strandberg Sälen) as my main guitar.
    Now I'm rethinking my setup because it is such a nice dynamic instrument (I played rather bright humbuckers before) and I have to listen to my sound again to find what is right.

The past years I mainly played Boss modelling Multieffects (starting with a ME70, than a GP10 and GT1), always on the Twin settings for a nice clean sound.
    For OD I normally used an OCD or Tubescreamer simulation.

Now I gathered all my stompboxes and built a nice semi-analog setup.
    I can go direct in to the PA with that setup (I have a Joyo/Harley Benton American Sound on the board) but I would prefer a lightweight solid state amp with a Fender-voiced clean sound.

I once had a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (bought it new 10-15 years ago) but I would like something lighter that still can be heard in a (rock) band context.
    As a living room amp I have a Mustang II v2. Loud enough for my free jazz combo
    but I want something more straight-forward non-modelling preferable with a spring reverb.
    (Also it's volume-wise on the edge in my rock trio. There is a solid state 65W in one of the rehearsal spaces I work in. This one has definitely enough power, so solid state 65W is what I'm looking for right now)

I prefer cheap, if it sounds good. I don't want a 4-channel 200W stack.

This is basically what I found as suggestions:
    Fender Princeton 112+ or 65 (the ss versions)
    Fender Deluxe 112 (maybe a tad on the heavy side?
    Peavey Bandit 112 ( also maybe a bit to heavy? Also quite ugly if that counts...)

Since I'm from Germany there are also a lot of old Hughes&Kettner floating around,
    I know that the Edition 1 (Silver, Surf, ...) has a nice clean sound, but it has the same power rating as my Mustang...
    Has anyone experience with the Club Reverb?
    Does it do clean loud?

Any suggestions at <~15 kg (33 lbs) in the tube area?
    Maybe a cheap 15 W (e.g. Harley Benton Tube15)? Would this be loud enough clean (not crystal clean of course...).

What would be the pricier options? Lightweight with good cleans?
    Maybe a small Jazzamp (DV Mark Jazz 12?)?Maybe a Quilter or something?

sooooo many options...

2. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Wampler makes a dedicated pedal platform amp. But It could be expensive.

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Have you looked at the Fender Tonemasters? I know you said no modeling, but they’re light and voiced the way you want, from what I read. As far as tube amps go, for making sure you’re heard in a rock band, you’re probably not going to get much lighter than the 41 lbs Hot Rod Deluxe that you had. Some might say Princeton, but it may be iffy on volume. Just my $.02

4. reingarnichts

I have looked at the Tonemasters, nice concept. Very good sound too.
    But I'm not sure about the servicability of these amps. Fender already cancelled the Fuse software for the Mustang amps.
    In ten years the processors in the Tonemasters will be obsolete and there will be no spare parts for the DSP/Modelling part available. This is ok for a cheap amp, but not for something in that price range (at least for me).
    (I know, obsolescence is something completely accepted with computers, but I don't need it in my guitar gear...).

5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I would get a used Peavey bandit ... in fact it's what everyone around here did use to use back in the early 90's when I first started in bands. They have proven themselves to be reliable and I don't know about in Germany but you can pick them up for well under £100 here (sometimes half that) you could get two and run a stereo or wet/dry rig. :)

Not the sexiest option, but probably the best value.

6. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Boss Katana Artist. These sound great in their own right, but would also be a great pedal platform. There are some fun digital effects and cool things in the tone studio, if you’re inclined, but you may not have to.

Also has a Line Out, so you could still run straight to a PA from there. Also makes recording into a DAW pretty simple. And the line outs sound fantastic!

7. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

What I use is an AMPEG 70 watt Solid state One clean channel , one dirty and separate reverb controls for both. Takes pedals like a champ.

8. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

Peavey bandit - you can probably get 5 for the price of a Fender Tonemaster, so plenty of built in redundancy

i think the TM is the better amp, but if its just a vanilla -loud thing, the Peavey should be fine

left field options - Blugamp or the Orange Stomp Terror thing. both should be loud enough (the orange may struggle) and they are tiny

9. reingarnichts

Ok, these are some nice options. So I will keep an eye on Peavey Bandits showing up on the used market (so far most of them are around 150 Euro)...
    The Katana is exactly what I am not looking for.

10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I think those old fender solid states sound great for clean tones. I had a Princeton chorus 2x10 for awhile. Also the Roland cube or Blues cube might get you there. What about a Milkman “The Amp”?

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Loud, clean, ability to get good overdrive, and lightweight is a tough combination to achieve.

Two options:

- Analog solid state: Roland JC40. 35 lbs
    - Tube: current Hot Rod Deluxe (HRD IV). 40lbs

I know you had a HRD before. They went to a pine cab, better speaker and made some circuit changes. Way lighter and overall better amp. (I liked the prior versions but love this version.)

12. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I have never had a better SS pedal platform than a Peavey Special 130. Almost 40 years later, I still have one and still love it!
    A Bandit 65 (same era) would be good as well, but I would miss the mid shift from the Special 130.

13. shawnoh4

shawnoh4 TDPRI Member

Cube 30 is awesome

14. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

That's a pretty liberal "ish" but I see where you're coming from, and I like it!
    [​IMG]

richiek65 likes this.
  15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Don't laugh, but I have a Vox MV50 Boutique that sounds incredible with my 2X12 open back cab with WGS ET65s in it. Also, it's just about as loud as my AB165 Bassman head. I plan on trying it with a 1X12 open back cab with Eminence Lil Texas, sometime this week (looking for a cab more portable, but still loud and clean).

I personally went with the Boutique since it has a flatter freq. response than a BF/SF Fender. So the MV50 Clean should really get closer to Fender cleans, and it has bass and treble controls, unlike the Boutique's singular tone control.

Anyway, I can definitely vouch for at least one of the MV50s being loud and clean, and being great with pedals, and being portable, and they just happen to be affordable, too (I got mine used for ~$140 USD).

16. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

I have the Princeton 112+. I really like the clean channel, and it seems to take pedals quite well. It has a lovely, full low end. The gain channel is pretty mediocre at low settings going toward awful on higher settings - but if you are using pedals there's no need to use it.

I have found that having at least one pedal with a buffer in your chain can help get a better sound (less harsh/brittle treble) from your other pedals. At least that's what I experienced with my choice of pedals.

17. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Germany?
    Hughes & Kettner Attax

18. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Quilter head and light weight cab.

19. reingarnichts

Actually this is what I went for. Just found a really cheap 65W Club Reverb (Attax Series). It should arrive here tomorrow.
    (I paid 80€ (~95 USD) including shipping, so this is as low as you can get here... ). Not super portable, but might be a good start for the rehearsal space. I can probably happily ignore the drive channel and just use my pedals. If I feel inspired, I will report!

Really nice suggestions in this thread. The Vox MV50 Clean also looks quite interesting, sadly no reverb or it would be a nice amp for my living room and small gigs. I like the minimalism. Maybe if I find one used...

yep. very liberal. But if you don't see it, it sounds like a Tele (I do have an American Fender to compare). It doesn't feel like a Tele however. ;)

20. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.