1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good Solid State Amp for Telecasters

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rob TeleMan, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

PV Special 130 are great ;)

2. jcw

jcw Tele-Meister

3. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Vox Valvetronix is a nice SS modelling amp with one little tube. Also, a couple of years ago, my Pro Reverb was in the shop and I needed something quick and affordable. Tried modelling amps but kept coming back to a Crate XT120R. I've got a bunch of nice amps but I've kept this one too 'cause it's got a certain mojo.

4. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

I've got two of the AD60VTX models. They're the amps I've decided to keep :cool:

5. CatfishStudios

CatfishStudios Banned

I like the VOX ad Valvetronix series..hybrid amps...and of course anyone who has played through a JC120 knows they sound great....unlike most people ive heard from, I do not care for the roland cubes...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  6. dsharman

dsharman Tele-Meister

I have two SS amps that really do the trick. The first is a Lab Series purchased in the early 80's. Great tonal range with a compression unit onboard. My son has unofficially adopted that one. Lately I had been gigging with a Mesa Nomad 100 and it was frequently much more amp than I needed. I ended up buying a used Polytone Mini Brute IV thinking I would use it for small gigs and also for jazz gigs. It is unbelievable. So warm. This one has overdrive built in as well. Since we run everything through the board most of the time, there really isn't any need for anything bigger. 28 pounds.

7. Michaell

Michaell Tele-Holic

good solid state amps?

they don't exist

8. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Oh, do please go away.

9. robbysturgis

robbysturgis Tele-Holic

I've got a Fender M80 - 12" speaker, with reverb.

Sounds great with a clean or dirty tele, and awesome as an acoustic guitar amp as well.

10. Michaell

Michaell Tele-Holic

I'm not entitled to my opinion?

Judging by your gracious comment, I am only allowed one that is the same as yours.

how dull

11. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

I like my little bullet reverb amp.

12. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Of course you are. But the OP specifically asked for advice concerning a solid state amplifier and your comment was dismissive and unconstructive to say the least and, it seems to me, deliberately calculated to appear so. Couched in such terms it had no place in this thread.

13. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

Not all tube amps are big and heavy or expensive. Look at the Fender Super Champ XD.

14. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

+1 on the VOX Valvetronix amps--I played a '52 reissue Tele through the model with the 12-inch speaker and it sounded superb, for both the clean and most of the various overdriven sounds (you might not like the really high-gain sounds). However, I don't know how durable this amp would be for gigging use--it has plastic input jacks and is apparently built to a price.

I have a Vox DA-5 practice amp and it's great-really fun to play through.

15. Moonrider

Moonrider Tele-Meister

Probably a little underpowered for you, but I like my Vox Pathfinder 15 when I'm doing an orchestra pit type thing. Nice clean, decent tremolo, lightweight, low profile, mics well and you can run through an external cab or use a line out to the PA.

16. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

i giged with a Randall RG-80 1x12 combo for years. really compact and VERY loud. i wouldnt say it was "sparkly" like a tube amp but to me it was perfdectly adequate. real crisp and clear in the low end, even at extreme volumes! i recently sold it for $250 along with a peice of my heart! i have a Tubeworks rt-2100 1x12 combo up on the TDPRI classifieds right now. in case you want to take a look.

17. moparmutt

moparmutt Tele-Holic

I had fender stage 112SE.
    It was a great amp.
    Great cleans, loud enough for anything and pretty cheap

18. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

I'm really enjoying my Fender 'G-Dec Junior'. Not just for the band in a box trickery, but also as a lovely sounding Fender amp in it's own right. I especially like the 3rd 'Blackface' setting with the second reverb setting added.

I did upgrade the speaker to a Jensen C8R , but that was not because the stock one was bad - rather that the tone was so nice , I wanted to hear it at it's potential best.

19. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

Late '60's and early 70's tuck and roll Kustoms are great for everything. I have a K200-A5 head I use for guitar (sounds good for bass, too!) w/ either a pair of matching 2x15"s or a modded Traynor 2x15" and a K200-B6 I use for bass w/ an Acoustic 406 2x15" cab. They can be as in-your-face or in-the-mix as you want them to be and they are very Tele friendly.

20. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I rather agree the Sessionette is not for our op. They're way too big and the stock models are not US voltage. I used them in the 80's. When I met Stewart more recently, we spent rather a long couple of hours discussing the tone. He proudly showed me his experimental amp that had switching in the T-bridge to emulate, not model, Fender, Marshall, etc tone circuits. The latest looks promising. You're probably aware that he will custom build. The clean is very clean, you can have one with two clean channels. I just wish they weren't so loud. I've got a JD-10.

About 30W? =Roland Cube--X

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.