1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good responses for crazy song requests?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by oceanman2, Sep 4, 2010.

1. oceanman2

oceanman2 Tele-Meister

Most of the time, we deal with requests by trying to accommodate the person in some way- if we can't get the song, maybe we know another by the same artist or something. Heck, if we get some lead time, we'll gladly learn a song or two for a gig. Here lately, though, we've had three gigs where the client called on the day of or the day before to say, "Hey do you know this song?" Nope. "Can you learn it? It doesn't matter how well you play it. Everyone will just get a big kick out of hearing it."

So, I'm looking for creative answers, in case this trend continues. Thought I'd tap the great wisdom of the TDPRI.

2. dr. love

dr. love Tele-Meister

When we'd get shouted requests during the show, an old band leader would just say "Yeah! That's a good one" then start playing something else.

If it's the person hiring you and they ask beforehand, that won't really work though. I have said that we would attempt the song, and to make it even more fun that I will call them out of the audience to sing it with us and make a big deal about it: crowd chanting for them, etc... They usually change their mind for some reason.

3. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

WHIPPING POST!!!!!!

4. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

FREE BIRD!!!

Generally, we take requests as a "stump the band" sort of challenge. 95% of the time, enough of us know enough of the song to do a jam version (one verse, one chorus, long jam, same verse, chorus and out — shameless!). If we can, we do them cheerfully; if we can't, we just say so!

5. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

Tell them no, we don't have another rehearsal scheduled before tomorrow's gig to learn new songs.

When they yell, FREE BIRD!!!" Tell them, "We'll play it for $200 cash."

6. dlb1001

dlb1001 Tele-Meister

We didn't get a request for "Free Bird" but we did have some clown ask for 2 Live Crew song, which I won't repeat here. Now, if the guy took a look at the band, he would have figured out that we probably don't play rap songs, given that all of us are in our 40's and 50's!

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For quite a while we got bombarded for the Rodeo song.All because we did for a while when we were workin' a real nasty dump.Thought I'd never live that down..

8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

There was a really good blues band in Florida, The Curle Brothers. I saw them in a dive one night, (well, every night I saw them it was in a dive), and there were a bunch of sorority looking girls there.

One went up to the stage and handed Shawn Curle a list and a wad of bills. He looked at it, said, "next we're going to do "Faith" by George Michael"...and they did Walking Blues or something.

They went thru the night reading from the list, then doing whatever they damn well pleased. The girls left.

9. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

"Our drummer doesn't know that one." (We use a drum machine)

10. woodman

Joe-Bob's post reminded me of an old request-deflection line: "Write that down on the back of a 20-dollar bill and put it in our tip jar!"

Two of the worst ones I've ever gotten:

Bar owner: "How 'bout doing some of that old time rock 'n' roll, like Brick House?"

Drunk guy: "Do y'all take requests?"
    Me: "What do you want to hear?"
    Drunk guy: "I dunno, whadda y'all play?"

11. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

Used last night: "We already played that"

12. cbtd

cbtd Tele-Meister

I was at an Aimeee Mann concert one night, and there was somebody yelling Freebird in the audience. She looked out and said, "Don't tempt us, we do a mean Sweet Home Alabama." The audience cheered and she laughed and said OK. Then they busted out a great version.

13. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

or

We played that one last night -

Laugh, or move on, or should have been here, or sorry you missed it, or don't think we should ever do it again, or they almost kicked us out, or we need our _____ player for that one or ?

Wish I was good enough to play in public so I could actually use some of those lines.:(

14. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

To Free Bird- "I've got your Free Birds Right Here!" with both hands held up with the finger...

I always love how we get requests for some obscure metal band... in the old band, the bass player is playing upright, I'd be playing my telly or ES-175, and we all had ridiculously small amps...

Had a request for Jimmy Thackery's "Cool Guitars"... funny thing is, we had practiced it the previous rehearsal, so we played it... got $10 for our efforts...

Weirdest, though, that I was able to do ala Woodman, was Adam Sandler's "Piece of S#&t Car"... I had heard it a couple days before, and managed to mumble my way through it... :lol:

Franc Robert

15. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

...and there was a time the keyboard player asked for requests and somebody shouted, "Take a break!"

16. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

"Go %[email protected] yourself!" Well...that's probably not terribly professional and you might get your guitar smashed over your head.

It's impossible to know everything of course. You just do the best you can. If You don't know the exact song but something by the same artist that's usually a compromise that will please the drunk...I mean patron. :)

17. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Oh man

I haven't thought about that song in about 20 years. Who wrote/performed that anyway?

18. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Garth Brooks?

19. woodman

Garth had a Rodeo song, but the one PJ's talking about is quite explicit to the extent that even Dr. Demento ran the "bleeped" version ... I first learned it with a bar band in Toledo in the '80s, and the word was that it was by some Canadian dude. David Allan Coe did a version.

20. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

I love when people hand you a LIST of requests on a bar napkin, one isn't enough apparently or they figure the shotgun approach might get em a song or two.
    If we don't know it and can't fake it I always say we'll play something you like, don't worry. You can't please everyone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.