Good purchase '55 partscaster ?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by kenmasters, Feb 2, 2015.

1. kenmasters

kenmasters TDPRI Member

Hi guys, I'm brand spanking new to this forum. Please forgive my ignorance. I've been a newbie guitar player for many years and I had a fondness to the telecaster since the beginning. I purchased a Squier tele that was quite nice but this particular model built in 2000 had a humberbucker in the neck. Rather than me mucking around with it, I decided to get another tele.

I picked up a "partscaster" locally. I had some questions and I wanted to get your feedback. I didn't spend very much $ if you were wondering. Cheers mates!

New MIM fender neck.
    - the neck is thin but very smooth. Squier had a thicker neck.
    - the serial number seems to be incomplete or scratched out. You can see in the photos that there was sticker that I removed and placed next to the numbers. There is also a stamp on the top part of the neck that says "USED". Not sure what this means.

Body is from? I don't know.
    - the seller says it's fender - probably mexican.
    - not sure what type of wood this is? Alder or Ash ? It feels lighter than the squier.
    - the colour is a whitish-blond translucent, I googled it and I believe it's suppose to replicate a '55 Mary Kaye? Worn looks amazing.
    - Installed is a fender brass compensated bridge, fender switches, CTS pots

How does it sound?
    - the seller says the neck is probably stock mexican pups, but the bridge is steward macdonald golden age... not sure.. sounds a lot better than my squier pups, very twangy. Probably keep them for a while, or upgrade the squier with something hotter/warmer.

Enjoy the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looks good, if the money was right.
    Congrats. Welcome.

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

You have an interesting "puzzle" there!

A serial number of MX11, plus 6 digits, indicates a Mexican neck built in 2011-12. Why did someone remove the last 3 digits? I'm guessing the neck is a MIM Standard - can we see a photo of the headstock face to confirm?

The body looks to be ash - it has a fairly pronounced grain. The color wouldn't be Mary Kaye, which was actually a white burst (more opaque at the edges) and was always accompanied by gold hardware. This one is White Blonde, the color that Fender used from the mid 50's. The body could be a deglossed and slightly relic'ed Classic 50s. It looks good.

The pickguard (is it solid white or WBW?) has 8 holes but the neck pickup is attached directly to the body and not to the pickguard; a slightly odd combination.

The bridge looks like a standard Fender "Pat Pend" with brass saddles.

Those "Custom Shop" neck plates are all over eBay!

It looks like a nice Tele.

4. kenmasters

kenmasters TDPRI Member

This is excellent insight, thank you. I don't think this is an expensive treasure by any means and the seller did not hide the fact that this was a partscaster with various fender components from the parts bin.

The biggest mystery to me is the body itself. I made need to pull things apart and look for serial numbers. If the body is "ash" I would be greatly pleased with this find. It looks and feels great.

The pickguard is WBW - 3 ply. Doesn't look original because there are some not so straight edges on it.

Here's a pic of the head stock.

[​IMG]

5. PaisleyIsGod

PaisleyIsGod Tele-Holic

That's a really great looking guitar! Weird that "used" is actually punched into the neck, can't see a store choosing that way over a sticker.

6. kenmasters

kenmasters TDPRI Member

Weird I know.. could this neck be a fake fender? The tuners and overall finish of the neck is quite good. It says "USED", but it looks brand new!

7. KevinB

I don't think it's fake - who would fake a MIM Fender neck?

I'm pretty sure it's a MIM Standard Fender neck, but where it got the USED stamp from I just don't know. I've never seen that before but I doubt that the Fender factory put it on there.

You probably won't find much on the body - they were never given serial numbers - but the pickup routes and neck pocket will help us identify it.

Overall it's quite a nice partscaster.

8. kenmasters

kenmasters TDPRI Member

The chinese will fake anything and everything. American neck fake $100, mexico.. maybe they can get away with $50 ? :)

I'll think positively and say it's genuine and used stamp could have been anyone. :D

9. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Dont the bodies usually have a sticker in the pickup routes? Usually with a number of some sort.

Either way. Nice looking axe.

10. PaisleyIsGod

PaisleyIsGod Tele-Holic

I'd say there's no way that's fake, the thinking behind the stamp just struck me as odd.

11. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's a company (whose name escapes me at the moment) who buys up warranty returns. They make repairs and disfigure the original serial number. They apply that gold-ish serial number sticker over the original serial number, and stamp 'used' in the back of the headstock. They provide a warranty and you save a few bucks.

As far as I know it's a legitimate practice inasmuch as it's not being done to deceive anybody, but rather to revive instruments that would otherwise go into a chipper. They pop up in batches at a local Music-Go-Round. I've got a fancy Squier of some description that has had the same treatment, and it's been a good instrument.

If you want a player and aren't concerned about the altered serial number, I'd buy it.

12. KevinB

Dsutton has nailed it!

Check out this link.

"So You've won a Like New Guitar and it just arrived and the joy is overwhelming, you check her over to only notice that a USED mark that's hammer stamped on the back of the headstock and then you notice the last few digits of the original Serial Number are Smeared or Removed and or covered with a white or bronze color sticker with a black 9 digit number over the original altered serial number, If you were not 100% informed prior to purchase, you may be asking, WHY?..."

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks for that. Musical Instrument Reclamation Corporation, that's it.

14. kenmasters

kenmasters TDPRI Member

Yes mystery solved on the neck! Thank you! After reading what MIRC does, I started to look for blemishes. I think see one, but not sure... I think there was a knick or two and the refinished it so it doesn't show/feel. MIRC only sells to dealers. I wonder how much one saves. I understand the need to stamp it used, but it would have been nicer if it was in a less conspicuous location.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.