Good Morning Vietnam

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I always saw RW as Mork from "Mork and Mindy".
    But later in life I did come to regard him as a "great" actor. Now some would say that putting "great" on him as a comedian is worthy, and putting "great" on him as an actor is a stretch. But the already mentioned films, GMV, Mrs. Doubtfire, and such showed off his humerous side, he was also great in movies where he never cracked a joke.

One role I really loved him in was August Rush as "Wizard". He really did channel a half crazed musician in search of "something". I always saw that role as someone a little like myself (aside from the mania), talented but not gifted when it comes to music. The other kids Wizard had in his stable were all talented, but Wizard himself seemed to lack the gift that the others had naturally. He was really about the only piece of that movie that I really liked.

And the other role I would throw out there. RW starred in an episode called "Authority" on Law and Order Special Victims Unit. He played an audio engineer who had a chilling side to his psyche. I never once in watching that episode see him as Mork from Ork.

RW did indeed have quite the range as an actor and probably deserves more respect in that aspect of his career.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I stopped watching RW after Popeye. I hated it. But then several years after it's release a friend persuaded to me to watch The World According to Garp. I laughed out loud and cried, literally sobbed, over that one. Terribly Sad. I watched Popeye again a few years ago and I now get it. Not a favorite, but it was probably a bit ahead of its time. Shelley Duvall was another tragic figure who ended up in a bad way.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I liked him in Dead Poet's Society, otherwise he was probably one of my least favorite comedian/actors/interviewees so it's ironic that he starred in one of my favorite movies. I guess he had something for everyone.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Sure....but that doesn't alter my observation....a person who is centered, basically happy and content with who they are doesn't tend toward doing that stuff.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

when I was in high school (yeah, a long ass time ago) I had a huge crush on a girl, we'll call her Cathy... anyway, my sister had risen through the ranks and was both a fairly successful agent AND she owned part of one studio and worked with another... she knew EVERYBODY... so, this is maybe a year or so before mork and mindy was on tv.

I wanted to impress Cathy and asked her out and my sister arranged for me to go to a little improv club (in the back of another business) and then to the 'Improv'... at the first place, it was very fun and very funny and informal, folding chairs, soft drinks only... and an hilarious comedy troupe... the funniest person in the troupe was a little russian dude who never said a word. He was SOOOOO funny. At the end of the night, they introduced the troupe and the russian guy? Robin Williams.

Later, we went to the improv where a young comic, Elaine Boozler, asked my date and I endless questions about the locations and types of sex we were planning to have "once we turned 17".... A month or so later, I asked Cathy to the prom and she said yes... a week before the prom, she told me she couldn't go after all. We had one more date and then she said she couldn't talk to me any more... I never understood it... nothing weird happened on our dates or anything and we both seemed to like each other...

After graduation, she went to Long Beach State... when we played them in baseball, she was our batgirl. I said hi, but not much more... a few years went by and I was going to grad school back east... I met a girl and she had the exact same name (including middle name) as Cathy! We became a couple and about 18 months after we met, we decided that we were 'it'... we moved when grad school was done and she started her PHD... to jump ahead... she fell ill and passed from a brain tumor... to say it changed my life is an understatement. What is very strange is that a couple of years ago, I wondered what happened to the other Cathy... no one knew... which is weird in the era of social media... finally, I found out... she passed, from brain cancer, about 4 days after my Cathy.

I know it is not exactly about Robin Williams... but any mention of Robin Williams always conjures up memories from that night, what a crazy and fun date.... and all the things that happened after.... so, I am sharing it with you.

6. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

Thing I remember best was Robin and Dick Cavett improvising Shakespeare.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. boneyguy

Crazy!!

8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I had to retrieve a dead dolphin from Dick Cavett's backyard some years ago. Rather surreal experience.

nojazzhere, Greggorios and dlew919 like this.
  9. getbent

if only costanza could have gotten there first!

Buckocaster51 and dlew919 like this.
  10. boneyguy

'Retrieving a dead dolphin from Dick Cavett's backyard'......that just HAS to be a euphemism for something unholy and unnatural and sexual otherwise it's a complete waste of a sentence.

nojazzhere and drf64 like this.
  11. getbent

only if it was Garo Yepremian.

12. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Imho, RW best acting was in Good Will Hunting. I never got into his stream of consciousness thing. Not busting on him, but it's just not what I like.

13. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I understand he was a coke fiend until he went out one night with John belushi, who died that night. That scared robin off the coke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not a fan of dead poets, but I 100% agree with the rest of your post, especially the fisher king. When it wasn’t nominated for na Oscar, I gave up on the whole idea of awards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

Robin Williams was spectacularly fast. He was also a trained actor (Julliard). I saw him up close in stores a couple of times and he had me/us gasping for breath, improvising with a hat. I think he used his comedy up close as a shield, but that's an observation that's worth the money you paid for it. Comedians, I believe, are often successful because they feel a little bit as outsiders - close enough to understand society and also to see its/our absurdity. I admired him and he cracked me up.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I found out after discovering the both of them that Jonathan had been Robins' primary influence. They both could do true improv comedy, something very few comedians have ever done, and no one that I know of anymore. Bill Hicks could wing it, but it wasn't something he ever set out to do, it was just how he responded to unexpected events in the club, or input from the audience.

I suppose humor can be a response to the impermanence or transience of all things. It's surely better than letting it make you miserable. I see it does that to most people. The business of 'used to be' - I went to visit Farmers Branch, my hometown back in 2015 for the first time since 2000. There was a lot of "used to be" that simply wasn't anymore. It was a living out of that Pretenders song My City Was Gone. That was the wake up call.

Robin Williams death was unexpected, but I've gotten used to the unexpected, when it comes to things disappearing into the void.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. getbent

he was, without peer, in the hairy body department... he was the hairiest little dude I've ever seen... he could have been a wookie.

nojazzhere and drf64 like this.
  18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Ewok

getbent likes this.
  19. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

:lol:What a great line to begin a story, a post or a novel. That's definitely one to hold on to. Dick Cavett himself would appreciate it and probably give it a big laugh. Too good, man.

Bones and nojazzhere like this.
  20. boneyguy

Had to look that up....it certainly wasn't what I was originally visualizing.....!!

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.