1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good mic for acoustic/resonator?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by backalleyblues, Sep 18, 2015.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Hey gang, loooong time since I've posted around here, been mighty busy (and that's a GOOD thing!)

Anywho, I'm about to do some upgrading on my home rig-being gifted a Digi 002 (way better than my old Presonus interface, which is about to die!) and I'm poking around for a decent condensor mic to record my resonators and acoustic music with... in the past (when in a nice studio) I've used an AKG C-414 for this purpose, and have always loved the sound I got with that mic. What is out there in the ~$200 range that would be in that ballpark? I can stretch somewhat for the right mic (especially if I can buy it from Sweetwater, where I have an account) but obviously I don't want to blow $1k!

I've seen the AKG C-214 new for $400 (a bit out of my range) but they do pop up used in the 2-250 range from time to time-does this mic come close enough to that 414 sound to be workable? (I understand it's cardioid only, not an issue)... any other contenders out there?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Franc Robert

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

3. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Audio Technica AT2020 $100, AT4040 $299. Great mics, for me anyway.

M

4. yardleyboy

yardleyboy Tele-Meister

True this

5. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Following a recommendation on a recording engineer bulletin board I bought a pair of microphones from the small Swedish manufacturer "Line Audio", it is their CM3-model.

My wife is a classical musician and we have used them a lot with great results for recording various forms of classical music. They are also great for acoustic guitar, and they are surprisingly inexpensive (~100 € before taxes).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.