1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good low price Tele for a modding platform?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by saetia, Aug 2, 2013.

1. saetia

saetia Tele-Meister

I've heard good things about Rondo SL's but I haven't been able to find any anywhere - Squiers are an option but any particular suggestions?

Budget is $80-$150.

2. sleezzee top

sleezzee top Tele-Meister

I've got a squire affinity that i sometimes use as a spare. It feels good to play and sounds nice at low volumes. I intend to mod it at some point. Only down side is it doesn't have the through body bridge so with hindsight i probably Would have paid a little more and got the standard squire with the through body bridge.

3. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You'll get a Rondo from Rondo

4. saetia

saetia Tele-Meister

Clearly, but the only ones in stock anywhere are the cheap Furrians which I can't find anything about.

5. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Furrians have very nice finish and woodworking, decent chunky necks with jumbo frets and cheap hardware. Be aware that the pickguard screws aren't standard, the string thru ferrules are in a "z" pattern and the neck mounting screw holes may be a little wonky. They still make a nice platform.

6. saetia

saetia Tele-Meister

Are the 3/4 scale ones short-necked only or short bodied?

7. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Check MF. Often you can find a "used" Squier standard for $175 or so. I bought a used one in good shape right here on TDPRI for $150, shipped, so keep your eyes open......

8. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

If you wanted to mod, a second hand Squier is probably the best cheap option. They have the advantage that they are standard size so it's easy to find replacement bits both new and used.

9. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I can't help you on that one? E-mail Kurt and ask him.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

+1 Used Squier! And a few reasons why i went this route

1. Used, Its done all the depreciating a poor little guitar can do...Seen examples around Ft Worth pawn shops for $69.00
    2. Everyone that has gone this route before you is selling the left over /unwanted parts on Ebay by the pound.....so, mod away!!
    3. Correct Fender Dimensions!!!! So when you order, say, a pick gaurd....it fits.
    4. They ain't bad guitars!
    The one I got has really grown on me.. The neck is entirely too narrow at the nut, the pick-ups are shrill icepicks of death, but, at least it's way too heavy!

And yet, Ive grown to like the poor little thing..... it even records decently.

Mine has made a great baseline platform for winding pick-ups.. Good Luck!!

11. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

mmm...I thought the Furrians were the ones to get. No?

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

It's probably gonna be easier to use a Squier as a mod platform if only because so many have the know how and info about what parts to order and where to get them is readily available.

I'd check out your nearest GC, Music 123, and Pawn shops for one that slipped through the cracks and is priced below market. It happens everyday. Another member just picked up an Epiphone for $79 that should have been priced at $199. There's bargains out there if you're willing to be patient and do so some leg work.

13. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I keep looking at them sx furrians because all the good stuff I hear on the forums about them.

14. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

15. built4speed

built4speed Tele-Meister

In your original post you refer to Rondo SL's, but I'm assuming you mean the SX tele copies from Rondo. The used to be referred to as the SX STL models, but the STL models were renamed Furrian. So you're, indeed, looking at the correct models.

I like the Furrians just fine, but there are some features that make swapping parts difficult, especially bridges. Of course the Squier affinity tele's suffer the same problem.

16. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

SX

17. hopper

hopper Tele-Meister

I have one of the "3/4" size SX T style. The body is more like a 7/8 size. The 24" scale neck is 1 1/2" wide at the nut. which is a bit too narrow for me. I think I'll fit a new nut and space the strings a little wider; there's room, but not much. I do like the little sucker.

I think I paid what they're going for now a few years ago, but I didn't get a bag with it. That's a nice extra. Mine has the older style stratish shaped peghead, so I can't say how different the neck might be otherwise.

18. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Get a $149 "Telus" kit from Ed Roman's and build it. You can put in quick disconnects on the wires so you can remove and replace parts easily. If you build it you'll know it well enough to mod around on it confidently.

http://edromanguitars.com/parts/kit_guitar_4t.html

19. jgeltchy

jgeltchy TDPRI Member

If your going to go the squier route defiantely get an affinity in bsb. As you kjownits mad of good wood. I saw a white standard that had been damaged at the shop only to reveal plywood underneath. I couldn't believe it as they are advertises to be alder or similar i think. Thats why i got an affinity as the wood was really nice, fretwork was amazing, neck felt like a glove to my hand. The string thru isnt that much of a biggy to me cause you can always drill it for string thru. Especially since your going the modding route the extra you pay gor a standard the parts arent all that better, especially if youll just rrplace them. I have replaced alot on mine and she is a real player.

20. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

Gotta say I second the Squier suggestions- I've gotten parts here and there from GFS and others and had headaches and re-drilling/shaping issues that were not worth the few pennies saved. Anything from the last 10 years is going to be very consistent and easily set up to play well, plus you can go piece by piece and score a super deal without worrying about stuff fitting together. And now there are so many varieties of Squier to choose from you can build pretty much whatever you dream up from Squier parts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.