Good Jazz Amp for under $600

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thealexkru, Jul 26, 2013.

1. thealexkru

thealexkru TDPRI Member

Hey!
    I'll be shipping up to a music school next fall to study jazz composition and performance, I'm starting to search around to find an amp with a great clean sound and that can take pedals for under $600. i'm not too picky as to solid state or tube.
    thanks!

2. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

I like my Roland Cube 80XL for jazz.

3. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

I would have also recommended one of the Roland cubes for jazz.

4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Roland cube is a good suggestion as is a used Roland jazz chorus amp (heavy though). Probably not a practical suggestion but a used musicman or fender twin reverb is what I personally would buy.

5. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

You'll have to bring it along often, so weight is essential !
    Roland Cube 60 or 80, Fender Mustang III or TECH 21 Trademark 60 are great loud amps but are around 16kg...

I'd go with The Club from ZT Amplifiers, you just need a great clean tone and it's only 22 lbs (less than 10kg) !!!
    )

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

A Roland Jazz Chorus. A JC-120, or, if that's too big for you, a JC-77. I have a 120 and love it.

7. thealexkru

thealexkru TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, I was looking pretty heavily at the cubes as well as the ZT lunchbox and then a lunchbox extension cab. I personally own a fender mustang floor that I run into a PA system and absolutely love it, but the mustang III didn't even cross my mind. The Peavy Classic 50 is a personal favorite for the money, I just won't be able to keep that in a dorm. I'll look into the JC-77, that seems like a viable option as well. Thanks!

8. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I went to music school, and I ended up with a GK 250ml. Reason being I did a lot of walking with guitar and amp, and it had a gig bag so I'd have guitar in gig bag over one shoulder, amp over the other. I honestly don't remember if it sounded great, but at the time it was easily portable so it was good. Most of the jazz players I knew hardly ever talked about tone. And typically it is a drier darker sound, so I guess you can do it with a lot of amps.
    Point being, buy something where you can imagine yourself walking a half mile with it lol, depending on the arrangements at your particular school.
    A Princeton/Reverb would be good I think. You'd have to go used and find a deal on one of those to stay in your budget. A lot of the old school jazz guys use Polytone mini brutes, they are pretty small and sound good for the typical treble deficient jazz tone. One of my teachers used to cart one of those around on a little airport luggage cart with two wheels and a handle.
    If I were to do it again, I'd go with a Tele and Princeton Reverb on a luggage cart.

9. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

The Roland Cube series as said above will be perfect for this setting.

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Ok, just what is a jazz amp?
    - an amp with a fairly hi-fi response and a set of good tone controls that gets to the right volume. Not 100% clean neither, just a hint of grit and a punchy speaker for fast attack and note definition.

Old Selmer? - as used by Django. Underpowered and noisy.
    Peterson 100W jazz amp - solid-state, perfect, and unobtainable.
    Roland Cube or JC120

Me? - Roland Cube20X, Vox AD30VT or WEM Dominator "25 MK.II Bass" 1x15 (massive magnet, punchy and clear). The latter is a 2xECL82 with a fairly hi-fi response, which is wanted for bass or jazz, and is a fairly sought-after amp for jazz.

There again my 5 watt Laney L5T-112 (55Hz G12H-30) parlour amp is pretty good for jazz too (and anything else).

11. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

I'm getting a good jazz tone from my Bass Cube 30.

12. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Lots of amps can work... in addition to the above, you might also want to look at...

Fender Blues Jr with an Emi Cannabis Rex speaker
    Fender HRDX (if you have a way to move it easily)
    Some of the Fender Frontmans, 65R I'm thinking about specifically... also some of the Fender SS amps could be nice...

Franc Robert

13. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Peavey makes several combos............

and has for many years that have 15" speakers in them and sound great for jazz such as the Nashville 400, Session 400, etc..........JH in Va.

14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

definitely... can't go wrong with the peavey SS for crispy cleans. and i second the vote for the fender frontman amps. they do a great "fender tone" in a very lightweight, SS package

15. thealexkru

thealexkru TDPRI Member

Thanks, I was thinking solid state as opposed to tubes: less maintenance, more consistency, more clean headroom. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to shop around for a little, I play solid bodies so if that's a point for more suggestions.
    Thanks

16. thealexkru

thealexkru TDPRI Member

That looks like a cool amp, I'm not going to buy just yet, I was wondering what my fellow tele players thought.

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'd recommend trying a certain thing with any amp you look at. Turn it up loud enough so that it is too loud when your guitar is at 10. When you turn the guitar's volume down to at least 7-8, you can get a good jazz tone. I have even gotten a better jazz tone when having the amp in OD range, with or without an OD pedal, but turn the guitar volume down to 2-3. It sounds crazy, but you should try to experience this and see what you think. The effect of this really floored me. I don't play jazz anymore, so I haven't pursued this, but you should give it a shot. I think weight might be a concern for you. I have had good luck with neo-dymium speakers. I have a 12" that weighs 6 lbs.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

School? Small dorm room? A Roland Cube 40xl is about $250 and has incredible cleans. I actually like it better than the 80w version and I doubt you need that much output for a jazz amp anyway.

Weighs about 20lbs, small footprint and takes pedals very well but also has on board effect, amp models, a looper, and reverb and delay. I've had one for a couple of years and I can't say enough good things about it.

19. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

what is it about guys that just have to exaggerate? :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.