1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good idea to practice on an acoustic?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by 4514, Jan 9, 2011.

1. 4514

4514 Tele-Holic

I play 90% electric guitar, I'm a Tele guy, but I usually keep my first acoustic in my computer room, and it's where I do a majority of my practice. Just because of convenience I pick up the acoustic to do technique exercises and low-tempo licks that I slowly speed up with a metronome.

So I was wondering if the higher string tension and thicker strings of the acoustic makes my practice more beneficial, like lifting the same amount with slightly heavier weights, or less beneficial, because my muscle memory is forming to the acoustic neck and not my electric neck?

When doing legato playing exercises I have to put a lot more effort in on the acoustic to keep steady volume during hammer-ons and pull-offs, so I think that helps. Then again, I'm not as vulnerable to the ringing harmonics or open strings brought out by an overdriven electric, so those are harder to cope with when I switch back to my Tele.

What are your thoughts? What do you practice with?

Thanks!

2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Even though I am staring at my acoustic, I practice 90% of the time with my tele' unplugged.

3. Open G Tele

Open G Tele Tele-Meister

I practice on whatever is handy but I try to spend at least 50% of the time on the Tele.

4. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

When our twins we babies, I used to sit downstairs with them at night for feedings, etc. I got really into playing my acoustic and definitely noticed and improvement in hand/wrist stregnth that led to better playing when I would then grab my tele. I guess it's kind of like swinging in the on deck circle with a weighted bat so to speak.

Ward

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.