1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

good gear car

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by logankolarick, Jun 23, 2017.

1. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

I currently drive an older toyota 4runner, which carries all my stuff really well.

The thing sucks on gas.

What car is small enough to get 30 mpg and up, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and can easily fit:
    -2 electric guitars, one in hard case, one in mono gigbag
    -1 acoustic guitar in hard case
    -a medium sized amp
    -a small pedal board in hard case (pt-classic jr)
    -4 or 5 mic stands
    -multi stand for three guitars (foldable)

Does such a car exist?

2. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I drive a Focus ZX3, and folding down the rear seats could fit all that in there. Mine is a 2007, with a 2.0 Duratec 5 speed and gets close to 40 MPG at 65 MPH on the highway.

Fairly sporty when driven in anger, but a nice little fart box for more sedate around town and everyday driving.

And since the first generation is at least 10 years old, a decent example could be had for less than a custom shop tele or real deal pre CBS.

Newer, might look into a Kia Soul! I work for a lady who has one. It has an autotragic and definitely has more creature comforts than my Focus (hers has power windows, locks, cruise, sunroof, premium sound system, but plastic wheel covers- if I bought it new I would have gotten alloy wheels and not upgraded the radio, done an aftermarket head unit).

3. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

Friend of mine used a Pontiac Vibe, to carry his upright bass, amp, electric bass, and assorted other gear. Built by Toyota. His daughter has it, now. I met 3 Canadian guys in Spokane, they were a touring rap act from Toronto, who were touring across the nation in a Vibe, even slept in it!

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Prius's fit a stupid amount of stuff.... Just saying.

VW golf.

Focus wagon.

aerhed likes this.
  5. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Any small relatively recent hatchback does good. I'm a big fan of the Honda fit. It's truly amazing what you can fit inside with such low floors and seats that fold flat. But I also like to drive exciting cars. So my Honda fit is gone. But it is the most spacious cargo wise I ever ever had. I could fit washing machines in it.

GigsbyBoyUK likes this.
  6. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

My mid-90s Toyota saloon is still doing me proud.

When the sad day comes to replace this total workhorse, whatever comes next has to fit a 4x12 in the boot / trunk.

speedy mcfeely likes this.
  7. ComingApart

ComingApart Tele-Meister

i've seen a whole 3 piece setup packed in a prius. 2 guitars, a bass, marshall combo, ampeg combo and 7 piece mapex kit. with all three members rising comfortably inside.
    myself, i'd love a subaru wagon or hatchback. the mazda mx wagon whatever from a few years back as plenty of gear room for a small car

Dismalhead likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

"Fairly sporty when driven in anger, but a nice little fart box for more sedate around town and everyday driving"

:lol:

9. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife, daughter, and I all have Honda Fits. I love 'em... I originally got mine (2008 model) because I could get two road bikes in the back, upright, with forks stuck to a 2x4 with two fork mounts bolted to it. I don't ride that much these days, so the bike(s) don't go in the back that often anymore, but that car will haul anything! I've picked up appliances in that car and the salesman would be saying 'no WAY you get this in that car' and I've always been able to. I can't imagine a load of guitar gear that couldn't fit comfortably. Not a bad little driver either, but obviously more of an practical car than sports car...

-Ray

speedy mcfeely and TimothyC like this.
  10. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I have a Fit and I can lug a Marshall stack easily. All without even folding down the seats.

11. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I love my 2001 Toyota Highlander. Plenty of room. Extremely comfortable. Decent mileage. Only major service was replacing the timing belt at 100,000 miles/ pads and rotors. Best car I've ever had! And it still looks new!

soulman969 likes this.
  12. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I thinking of getting a Honda Element...

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I checked those before. They're only 4 seaters eventhough it has giod cabin size.

I have non-turbo Subaru Forester. I always feel safe in it in our Midwest seasons. Fits almost everything that I haul in it. Gas consumption is good eventhough it is AWD.

As others mentioned, I would also look into the Toyota Prius and Honda Fit.

Danjabellza likes this.
  14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

My 06 forester could carry all that and more and got about 24mpg

15. echale iii

echale iii Tele-Holic

I drive a Subaru Crosstrek and my wife has a Prius. The Crosstrek you could get all that gear in, no problem, the same with the Prius. If you went with a used Prius V (as opposed to the regular Prius or the Prius C) you could get even more gear in--it's like a Prius stationwagon. I think the new Prius cars are all the same body style now, but they are pretty roomy inside.

16. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

My Mitsubishi Outlander Sport can get 30mpg and can fit a good amount of stuff with the I seats laid down. The Outlander (longer body, 3rd row seating) can fit a little more but also demands a little more cash.

Neither is terribly expensive, especially on the used market.

17. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I looked hard at a Fit, but bought a Civic Coupe.
    I could get three guitars an amp and some other stuff in it.
    It's generally just amp, guitar , pedals. Certainly no 4/12's

18. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

4-door hatchback, pick your flavor. My '16 Impreza has just about as much room inside as my old '90 Pathfinder (essentially identical to your 4runner). With full-time AWD and a 5-speed I'm averaging about 32 MPG split even between city and highway, the CVT automatics are even better. The crosstrek is the same as the impreza with a bit more ground clearance if that's your style.

Good luck!

hdvades likes this.
  19. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

First Edition Scion XB - Daughter took it over for me and it has just went over 200K. 30+ MPG and it has a side big enough to put a banner on to advertise the band!

I have personally hauled in it the following:

2 electrics in hard cases
    2 acoustics in hard cases
    1 bass in hard case
    1 2x10 bass cab and head
    1 15 watt VOX ad15xt (not the AC15)
    1 Blues Jr
    2 music stands
    3 mic stands
    AND a
    mixer with two speakers

there was not room for a passenger and it was squatting but it all fit!

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Used to have a '96 Honda Accord wagon for hauling my stuff. It was a great car, someone backed into me a few months back, insurance company totaled it, and I replaced it with an '04 Toyota Prius that I picked up for $4250. I get 46 MPG and it's probably got about the same cargo space in the back as my wagon did. Both of these vehicles will easily fit all of the crap you listed in the back.

I've hauled:

Two guitars in hardshell cases, an amp and a 1 x 12" extension cabinet, my PA with two big speakers (close to 2 x 3' each), hi-hat and two cymbal stands - including a few cymbals, my Zoom R16 and a big bag of microphones, cables, etc, and several mic stands, and my pedalboard. Done it in both vehicles with a bit more room to spare.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.