Good First Vintage to Get

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Snommisbor, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have two completely different pieces of advice because you need to decide whether you mainly want it as an investment or enjoyment.

If the former, talk to the head of some successful vintage guitar dealerships and ask what the best return on invest is out there for the period you want to own it before you cash out.

If the latter, just play as many as you can and see which one keeps you up that night smiling at the thought of how fun it was to play.

I own a number of vintage guitars including pre CBS Strats and Teles. They all have changes—refinished, refretted, etc. All that lowered the value and some things made it more playable. I love these guitars and smile even after owning them for decades. It’s still a thrill every time I play them. I bought them to play for life and it was the right decision for me.

For investments I have a 401K. I keep finances and hobbies separate even though these guitars have more than kept place with inflation.

Crashbelt likes this.
  2. GibAnn

GibAnn TDPRI Member

Hi There, Welcome to the Southern Hemisphere of Auckland New Zealand on this Bright cold wintery Sunday morning.
    I was reading your article and thinking to my self Oh yes we have all done this (I was born in 1938) still playing strong, have lots of Gibsons and Strats,, But the other day, my lovely wife bought me a Couple of Teles (The first Pic 1972 me with the Gibson, She vocals,2nd pic 2018)

Attached Files:

newrider1969 and Fluddman like this.
  3. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

If you’re going to buy a guitar to pass on to your son, why not get an AVRI ‘52 reissue? They’re awesome guitars and will surely be relics by the time he gets it. Here’s mine.

029BEAE0-00D3-4C3D-964B-6360A70526D8.jpeg

Crashbelt and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  4. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

80?? You look at least 20 years younger and so does your beautiful wife.

Bill and tigger like this.
  5. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

Check out Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville. I was there last week and they might have what you need!

6. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I would consider a 50s LP Jr in TV yellow but only because they are relatively reasonable and they rawwwwwk.

7. Stickleback

Stickleback TDPRI Member

I've been playing guitar for about 50 years. My favourite guitar is a 66 Tele - Rosewood fretboard, refin body. Cost me £3,750 last year. These post-CBS 60s Teles look like a bargain to me at the moment - about the same price as a new custom shop guitar. I always think of guitars as "realisable assets" and I can't see a 60s Tele going down in value - hence I'll never lose money on it, it'll only ever stay the same value or go up.
    Back to the guitar - I have, or have had a 51 Tele, a 61 Strat and a 71 Strat. But the 66 Tele is my absolute favourite. Now, maybe it's just a particularly good one, and I fully agree that wooden guitars are all unique so this may be the case. But I suspect that they're overlooked by collectors - not as desirable as pre-CBS, and Tele's have never been as "sexy" as Strats (ahhhh - those curves).
    So my suggestion would be to try a few post CBS 60s Teles. Buy the one that sounds best through an amp. There is also a general rule that I learned from Mick Green of The Pirates (RIP) - go into the guitar shop and acoustically strum each Tele in turn as they hang on the wall - the one that sounds loudest and resonates for the longest time will probably be the nicest sounding through an amp as well.

8. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

You could buy several Fender CIJ vintage reissue Teles (edge bound/thin line etc.) for the same price as one vintage model. These are as good as,or better than a lot of the original USA Fenders. The Japanese JV series are now going up in price. A mate has one of these in butterscotch and it is better than most of my original ones.
    Mike.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.