Good First Vintage to Get

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Snommisbor, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I agree with this as well. As I've said in other posts as well as this one, I own several reissue/AVRI's and wouldn't get rid of em for the world! They are fantastic guitars, especially my 01 AVRI Strat! However, the OP is also wanting something that's really vintage based on their OP, and if I had the means I would throw down on a "real vintage" myself. But yeah... the "new vintage" is great IMO.

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

This is terrific advice. Do your homework on prices so you don’t get scre*ed, buy from someone reputable, look for good value. Yes. But don’t get caught in the “investment” thing. Buy something you can play and get lots of joy from.

3. bterry

bterry Tele-Meister

When buying vintage, remember these things below. Find all of them and you'll be happy.

1) Desirability
    2) Originality
    3) Condition
    4) Great playability/sound

Vintage Blackguard Broadcasters, Nocasters, Telecasters and Esquires are pretty hot right now in terms of collectibility/desirability and prices. Next would probably be 1959-1962 (Slab board) Custom Telecasters and Esquires, followed by mid to late fifties white guard Telecasters. 1960s Slab board Telecasters after that, then mid-sixties veneer board Teles.

Next come guitars made after 1965, of which there are quite a few cool models for sure.

Unless you are talking custom colors, which are ridiculously rare and very expensive :) Ultimately, do your homework, have fun with it and play as many as you can to find the right one.

Regardless of which model/year you choose, get the one that feels/sounds the best to you and you won't be disappointed.

4. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

There are many good comments here already. My viewing experience is that it seems to take a while to sell vintage guitars. So buy something nice you like. You can also check Blackguardlogs.com to get an idea. I have a vintage refinish partscaster which I really enjoy.

I follow Fiesta Finishes on gbase.com as they get some nice guitars in. But I think for you the journey will begin going to shops in Austin. Maybe a short flight to Nashville.

Have fun.

d barham likes this.
  5. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

What about 54-59 white guards? Not desirable?

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Japan has a great selection of vintage guitars and amps. I'd take the wife on a trip to Japan and shop for one while there.

kbold and skunqesh like this.
  7. opdev1

opdev1 Tele-Meister

I did the birth year thing on my 1st vintage (a refin black 67 that I put Don Mare pups in). Still have it and love it.

If you can afford a blackguard, that's awesome but I feel prices on BG's are very high right now. If you have 25K+ to spend, 56-58 strats are priced better than blackguards.

I also love 55's . 25k-29k

I don't think of guitars as "investments" per say, but I do think.. How much of a hit do I "think" I'll take if I sell tomorrow.

IN the case of vintage, the answer so far is 0%

8. opdev1

opdev1 Tele-Meister

9. Snommisbor

Snommisbor TDPRI Member

I’m going to go try these out next week. Interesting about the non nitro finishes. I’ll know once I play it but any of you tell a difference on a 50 plus year old guitar? I know I will never own a newer non nitro. One reason why I love the relics. Use to not, but once you them it just feels so good. Plus the first ding is not bad at all.

https://www.austinvintageguitars.com/store#!/1967-Fender-Telecaster/p/105982662/category=28480112

https://www.austinvintageguitars.com/store#!/1966-Fender-Esquire/p/143646410/category=28480112

10. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

exactamundo - whether on Reverb or Fleabay - there are piles of vintage MIJ guitars flooding the market, lately. It's under most peoples radars - probably because the whole where it's made sentimentality. Fwiw, I'm partial to Fujigen built guitars from the mid 70s up thru the mid 80s. Greco, Burny, Ibanez, Electra - the premium Fuji stuff is an incredible deal. Most of it's under a grand (total after shipping from Japan).

That said, I've also got several late 60s and early 70s teles (WRHBs!) It's hit n miss for that era of Fender, but when it's good, it's pretty darn great!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

67-68 is reported as the time frame Fender inc transitioned to poly, but there are plenty of examples of 67s still sporting nitro. (i've got two 67s that will back me up, and a couple of 68s that are full on poly, just for comparison).

My 2c - 67 is the last 'solid' vintage year where specs were still tight, routes, pockets, finishes, and the fitting of hardware were still up to snuff.
    If anyone goes for the late 60s teles, Look for 'Flush Ferrules' on the back - usually a good sign of further quality.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/anyone-know-when-fender-started-using-poly.71927/

opdev1 likes this.
  12. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Interesting that blackguards are high $ at the moment. Are other vintage fenders falling in price or holding?

Same as you, I don’t think if my vintage guitars as ‘investments’...but I’ve seen varying stuff around about the state of the market, so am wondering what’s really going on.

13. bterry

bterry Tele-Meister

I did mention them, I put them after slab board Custom Teles/Esquires :)

14. Adam Wolfaardt

Ah so you did. I was so dumbfounded that you didn't mention them before slab boards. Are slab boards really more disable? I find this extremely hard to believe. I know I'll take my 55 over any slab board

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

The correlation to a Rolex might be important. The OP mentions getting something "nice". This is code for desirable, enviable, and just a little bit conspicuous. Be careful. Just like a Rolex, you will be advertising your "investment", making it a target, just like wearing $5k on your wrist. In this case, its 25k in a case ready to sneak away when you aren't looking..

I like the amp option. You can find a nice 50's/60's amp for 2k-3k, harder to pickup and sneak off when you aren't looking.

Finally, maybe way off base, but maybe look at other 60's guitars, like a SG, or ES-330 or 320, Kalamazoos, etc. Substantially less investment, yet pretty desirable.

16. Prototype

Prototype TDPRI Member

I gave up on vintage after spending too much time and money fixing things. Designing and building is where it's at. Keep the tradition alive.

17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

You write about wanting a black guard a couple times. I think you should play a few and then buy the one that speaks to you. It seems like that is what you want.

18. bterry

bterry Tele-Meister

I think the slab board Custom Telecasters and Esquires are more desirable than, say, a ‘56-59 white guard w/ maple neck, but, it might be a coin toss depending on who you’re asking. As for the regular, ash-bodied/blond slab board Teles/Esquires, no - they are not as desirable as a mid-fifties white guard. The Custom model is though, in my opinion.

19. Adam Wolfaardt

I would assume anything with a flat pole pick up would be more desirable than say a 56 with a staggered one. Then there were top loaders which are clearly less desirable. I guess it all depends what we're comparing. Is a slab board custom more desirable than a 58 top loader? Absolutely. Is a blond slab board more desirable than a mid 55 with a flat pole? Probably not

20. bterry

bterry Tele-Meister

Agreed - I just think the slab board Customs in particular are so rare that, all things being equal, they will be worth more than any era white guard unless it’s a custom color. A non-top loader white guard is definitely worth more than a standard slab board Tele assuming condition and originality are equivalent.

Adam Wolfaardt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.