Good First Vintage to Get

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Snommisbor, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Snommisbor

Snommisbor TDPRI Member

So I am really thinking about getting a vintage Tele/Esquire. About to sell a house and my wife wanted to get me something nice. Her thought was a watch. I’m thinking, I’ve got some nice watches how about a guitar? She thought I see Antiques Roadshow, maybe? I said jokingly a 59 Les Paul Burst, she said how much are those? More than what we will make. Lol

So I just wanted to know what would be a good first vintage to get into? Was born in 67 so there is that option. Is there anything to say no way to i.e. Refin, not original tuners, stuff like that? Would really love to just jump in and get a Blackguard. Would be more, but would it be a safer place for money? (knowing that is all speculation.) But still I would think the Blackguards would go up faster than others even through ups and downs. This would be something I keep and possibly pass on to my son or if I can’t play anymore sell at that point. Hopefully 50 years from now. Lol. But are there other years that are more desirable than others, like 57 over a 59 or a 63 over a 65?

Also this will not go into a case. I plan on playing this guitar just like I would my others.

2. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Go to a vintage guitar store or a vintage guitar show, play a bunch of them and see if you fall in love with any within your budget.

3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I'm not an expert, but for a Tele I'd say a mid to late 60's example might be a good place to start. You can find plenty of them in the sub 10k range that would probably hold their value well. Originality is key. Changed parts, refrets, refinishes...all affect value.

If you're looking for an investment you can play, a 40,000 dollar guitar might not be the wisest thing to go with. Those pretty guitars from the 50's you see in calendars and magazines? Unless you're a crazy man with lots of money like Joe Bonamassa...nobody plays those. They stay locked away in climate controlled vaults to be passed around from collector to collector. To me, starting with something less expensive and letting it appreciate as you hold on to it makes more sense.

Fakes and shadiness abound in the world of vintage guitars. Do your homework and consult trusted experts.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    bblooz, skunqesh, Jerry J and 4 others like this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Just try lots and buy the nicest old guitar you find, esp if you plan to pass it on.

I’d personally enjoy spending half the budget flying around nice places with the wife trying a few out for a year. The hunt is half the fun.

Honest Charley and Telecastoff1 like this.
  5. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

A trip to some good vintage stores would certainly be in order. Carter Vintage and Gruhn guitars are both great shops with knowledgeable staffs. If you’re anywhere remotely close to the Nashville area it wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

coloradojeff likes this.
  6. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

D248421D-F84A-402B-B484-9EDA14D07711.png Oh boy I’m not an expert and have no means to buy one so don’t take me too seriously but from what I have seen fender jazzmasters, jags, and such are like half the price of strats and Teles from the same years. There is a kid on youtube with a bunch of pre cbs stuff named Matthew Scott. He buys stuff to restore and has some awesome gear. Refin guitars are what is obtainable for most people. One of his strats is either a 59 or a 62, it was spray painted silver but he was able to sand that off and get to the original sunburst. For me to get one for me to play it would have to have some kind of refin or something wrong like a different years neck to drive the price down, being a players guitar and not a collectible.

This being said when you are talking big money it’s something you gotta deal with experts on.

Attached Files:

Matthias and Telekarster like this.
  7. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Not bragging here but wanted to share some life experience: Once upon a time, I was a Rolex Datejust 18K/SS owner. It was the 80's after all, and it was hip. MAgnum PI etc. etc. I was young, dumb, and full of... ;) More $$$ than brains back then. Anyway, years later as I was putting on that watch I stopped and said to myself "Why did I buy this? In all these years, have I really gotten that much enjoyment out of this thing? What does it do that a good ol Timex won't? Hmmm..." So, I sold it and took that money and bought my first Les Paul. A 1956 gold top reissue! I can say this - I've gotten a heck of a lot more enjoyment out of that guitar than I ever did owning that Rolex! Maybe it's called "getting older and wiser..." If I were in your shoes I'd buy something from the 50's if I could, but that's me i.e. any pre-CBS Tele or Strat would be my first choice ;) And then.... I play that thing till the frets fell off!

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think you are approaching this bassackwards.

- get it because you can afford it and love it. not hoping it will be an investment.
    - get one because it's a compelling guitar that happens to be vintage and in your budget. don't pick one because someone on the internet said it is good.

I have 4 "vintage" guitars right now. They happen to be my only electrics. I didn't realize that until this week. I got each because I couldn't put them down in the store. None is particularly valuable (like under $6k combined) and I expect none to appreciate. I can't imagine parting with any of them.

Bill, JL_LI, Greggorios and 4 others like this.
  9. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Without knowing your budget it's really hard to advise you. I'd be less concerned about resale or investment value though.

For a "player", in the $2K-3K range you might want to look into the late 60's/early 70's instruments. (I'd avoid late 70's). Lots of models to choose from; Thinlines, Customs, Deluxes as well as regular Teles. Personally I'd rather have a really nice and original later example than a botched up and refinned earlier one.

bblooz and Matthias like this.
  10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Two thoughts.. if you want a guitar to play get a "player" grade guitar, I own a half dozen PGs ( no high end stuff like a Tele) and have had several others, all have had refins, or changed tuners, or replacement guards or knobs, or nuts, or.... well you get the idea, they should be much less expensive and are in my mind more fun, as you don't need to baby them, and if something breaks you can fix it w/o taking a huge hit, also the 'story' that many of these have is often more interesting than " it sat in a closet.. (or under the bed) for 50 + years.." YMMV.

I would agree with the others to NOT look at this as a financial investment, if you need a solid return on capital and don't want the usual portfolio, buy original fine art w/ the help of a experienced gallery, there are several that deal in the sub 50K market. Still no promises there, and you should still buy what you like. But "collectibles" that exist in multiple examples are often not the growth investments they are sometimes touted to be. I have a colleague who has a substantial collection of prewar American acoustic instruments,from premier makers, that he assembled for both enjoyment, and investment/tax purposes. He is looking to liquidate, and not liking what he is seeing numbers wise.

11. Snommisbor

Snommisbor TDPRI Member

Yeah I guess what I meant from a financial perspective is that I should not really ever take a hit on a vintage guitar. Heck a CS Masterbuilt can be over 6-9k. For that much or a little more I would take a hit like I would a modern CS

12. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

I'd start with taking some '67 teles for a spin since its your birth year. As others have pointed out its also a good era from a collectibility players perspective. Having said that I wouldn't rule out other models/era's... FWIW, my best guitars have found me rather than me finding them. Yeah, you got to get out an look a bit... tho often you'll stumble upon something in your travels. Go with your gut and enjoy the ride!

13. chomps

chomps Tele-Meister

What’s your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

Nobody plays their old Blackguards except real players. There's something about picking up an ax that is 66 years old and making it sing.....but you can always play it safe by storing it.

15. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Not me, man. I'm all for protecting relics as much as anyone but in reality, it's not like their exactly "rare antiquities" in terms of that title. What makes them hard for most to achieve is simple finances IMO. There are tons of vintage XYZ from all era's on the market and if one has the means to purchase, one should not have to worry about playing it. If I had the means, I would absolutely buy a pre-cbs tele/strat and use that guitar for what its intended purpose was - play that sucker! ;) I mean, you can't take it with you... might as well have some fun with it ;) I'd take it everywhere. I'd just be sure to have my insurance paid up. Just my 2 cents

16. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

Whenever I have a job that requires a Telecaster, I’m happy to be able to take my ‘60. Some situations call for a little more caution than others, but I bought it to use, and I do enjoy using it.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I’ll just throw it out there: for a lot less $$, I’d get one or two top-notch vintage AMPS instead. Say: a BF Deluxe Reverb, or an old tweed, or if you’re into jazz a 40s or 50s Gibson amp. My impression when trying out vintage guitars is that they’re wonderful, but some of the reissues around are so good that it’s not worth it. Not so with amps.

JMHO and YMMV and whatever your dreams are I’m happy if you fulfil them! Now I’m looking forward to a nice “New Vintage XXX Day” from you ;)

PS: of course there are guitars that have NO reissue. My dreams are populated by pre-war Epiphone archtops and late 30s ES-150s…

18. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

This is good advice.

larsjen and RadioFM74 like this.
  19. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Buy something you like, not as an investment. That's all.

20. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Like others suggested, buy a really nice AVRI or CS guitar. Even a MIJ or MIM might be good enough and some of these are now of 'vintage' age, give that the 52 RI came out in the mid-80's. That way you could a a few that speak to you and save the rest of your money. Just a thought

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.