1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good employers.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Feb 11, 2021.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Different employment scenario, but as a teacher but we were constantly told by the school board that teachers were a dime a dozen and that we were just greedy f##@ers......actual words...makes you feel respected lol.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

The place I've worked has changed over the last few years. Luckily I'm at a point I don't really need to be there. Before all this madness began I was asking for two weeks off, which some managers wouldn't allow because "If you can be gone for two weeks, do we really need you at all?" I pointed out to my boss's boss that he actually had no say in if I go, he could only decide if he wanted me to come back.

Long story short, it's only getting worse as time goes on. I have a meeting with HR on Tuesday. I'm hoping it involves them explaining severance pay to me, I was planning to retire this year anyway. 20+ years there and it's come down to game playing. What a waste of time. I've been in meetings where people are absolutely irate about some trivial detail, and I know that outside of the group in that room there are maybe five people on Earth who care about what we're talking about. We're not curing cancer. Calm the fook down.

Yeah... I really hope this is the last Sunday night I'm up at 2:30 am because if I go to bed I'll fall asleep, and when I wake up it will be Monday morning. It's like not going to bed somehow delays the inevitable...

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I wish teachers weren’t so disrespected. I know a few career teachers who absolutely love what they do. They couldn’t see themselves doing anything but educating children.

imwjl and ce24 like this.
  4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I let the pressure of my job get to me so much that I quit for a couple of months last year. Even though it’s a good company to work for, you almost have to be addicted to pressure to work for them. I’m actually looking into a couple of 40 hour a week job with less on call time. I’m ready to slow down a little. Good luck to you.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

The work till you drop culture in this country is absolutely anti productive....we are also the least happy workforce in industrialized countries in the world. Robust unions is the only answer to corporate greed and workplace abuse of bad conditions,low pay,long hours and no benefits or poor benefits.

wacolo likes this.
  6. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I'm one of the lucky ones. I've had a lifelong career at one company and I'm also quite pleased with the way they've handled the past year. No layoffs that I know off, work from home for most of the office staff, notices placed on building entrances if anyone has recently tested positive. The operators who have to actually go into work to perform their jobs, myself included, are kept in secure work spaces with disinfection teams rolling through every evening. The names of those testing positive are not revealed but contact tracing provides that anyone they've been in contact with is notified and tested. In June I'll have worked at the same place for 44 years. I am one of the lucky ones.

imwjl likes this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The past year has let me hear countless hours of my wife teaching remotely and the collaboration among teachers including across school districts. Something really cool is they've had communication with kids often dragged places including in and out of school by their parents. The reasons can vary - jobs, homeless, family problems. What's cool is teachers up to hundreds or thousands of miles apart are making sure the kids still drop into class or for help no matter where they are. It's life saving in a way and I keep thinking "If the administrators or negative public only or really knew?".

Loving to teach kids and their parents when appropriate keeps my wife going for the most part. When I overhear those Google and Zoom meetings they do I get frustrated by public sentiments often aimed at them. Good luck to all of you at that job.

There's so much pressure on so many jobs. For some defense of employers, competition is brutal. There's no or little salvation if you don't have a skill the whole world pays a living wage but in that some employers do stand out for how well they manage and respect the workforce.

swervinbob likes this.
  8. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

9. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I worked for a major heavy equipment dealer for 11 years. This is a national company. At our annual meeting they had a speaker showing graphs and going over trends, blah blah blah... he referred to the employees as "human capital". It really pissed me off. I quit shortly after. I hate that term. This was 9 years ago. I now work for a smaller, family owned company.

ce24 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.