Good employers.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Feb 11, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I've witnessed an interesting and unintended social experiment in the past year. Where I work 500+ front line workers have had bonuses for a year but this has or will become permanent pay increases. Slightly increased prices haven't yet chased customers away. 500+ basic service type workers making about 15% more money is visibly and audibly life changing.

There are people with first time car and home purchases and people saving money beyond retirement.

Another cool thing they did is will have vaccine program for new ones much like they do for flu shots but compensate for time and paid sick leave for anyone having problems.

What's outstanding here is this is not a big brand name giant. It's honestly caring for employees. I have no idea how you impose this on a whole world but I do encourage supporting known good employers and first line workers. It's just SO obvious that it's improved lives and business.

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have fond hopes for this thread.
    It warms my heart when the Board of Directors (company name irrelevant) finds out (sometimes to their surprise) there's a positive consequence to acts of decency.
    Peace - Deeve

3. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

Sound like you work at an awesome place. Employees are a company’s greatest asset.

stepvan, DekeDog, Rocky058 and 2 others like this.
  4. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Congrats on the bump and I think it’s great you are working for a company with an ethical stance on crew.
    I think this is also a political can of worms best left off a guitar forum. Wealth inequality and social reform are pretty hot issues at the moment and if we’re debating on here it should be the merits of a 3 saddle versus a 6 saddle not free market versus regulated.

tfarny likes this.
  5. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

I went to work years ago for a company that was doing extremely well. Everyone was well paid and promotions were easy to come by. On Friday afternoon the CEO would wheel in cases of beer on a hand truck and boxes of company logo clothing was given away. That summer half the office went to Hawaii for free and then the next week the other half went. Morale was sky high. Less than a year later the big projects were over and a new bean counter was hired. Then came the layoffs. Then came notice that anyone less than 85% billable for two weeks would be history. The good times were really good, but man, it ended quickly and harshly.

stepvan, nojazzhere and buster poser like this.
  6. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Sorry to be cynical, but wait until times get tough and competition catches up to you. You'll see what companies are really made of. The mission statement and humanitarianism go right out the window along with peoples' futures.

7. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My dad was a pediatric dentist.

He was very generous w staff in pay, and gifts esp at bd's and Christmas.

8. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

My employer has done some "protecting the business" things this year that had a negative impact on many employees - some permanently.

My employer has also done some eyebrow raising positive things after the corrective action saved the company.

I'm not detailing so as to not identify myself. But it has affected most if not all employees (thousands). As someone that has been on a sinking ship in the past, seeing the negative had me prepared for layoff. Seeing the positive has me realize the folks in charge know what they are doing. Corrective action should be corrective, and I was happy to realize it did correct.

Changes have been necessary due to the social climate. Not everyone has been successful for various reasons.

9. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations. I'm a plaintiff's employment discrimination lawyer, so I hear about sad and horrifying employer behavior all day long. It's nice to be reminded that there are good employers out there.

Harry Styron, Rocky058 and ukepicker like this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I worked as a contractor site lead for a small company (30 people including the CEO) supporting a Fed Government agency. We cherry picked our employees and the boss was a kick-butt retired AF Chief who priced our services fairly and took extremely good care of all employees. Some of the things she did would be called wasteful by most other employers, but what she got in return was performance and extreme loyalty from everyone. The customer loved us and considered us part of their family because we were so invested in the mission. Each one of us would have walked through fire for the company and for the customer. I did a few times.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have served in that role for 10 years. It was quite a ride!

11. imwjl

I realize this could be controversial but it's just plain cool to not just see the employer do good things but it showing up in staff well being. I know there are other great employers out there so it's good to promote knowing them and supporting them.

For example, I learned a bike shop I like's boss has housed and helped mentally ill staff. I've cut the easy order on line and made some trips to buy stuff there. Two of the many small brewers all around these days near me do good stuff for the community so I make an effort to buy their stuff. I figure it's good to buy food that originates near home so within reason promote and support that.

TheDavis and Peegoo like this.
  12. imwjl

I've worked all day through Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. When the president opened up one of out grocery stores just to bring in 5 families in need it was a great boost to my spirits and I decided to do some work for free too.

Mark617, elihu and Peegoo like this.
  13. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

I like quarterly or monthly bonuses for frontline employees when tied to a goal. I also think it is very important to engage the employee in conversations around the team effort required to achieve the bonus. We have done this where I work for 3 years now, and honestly its pretty great. You get buy in from people, and they really do appreciate the money, since its a group effort to achieve it we have noticed an increase in overall communication, and cross functional partnerships. We also change the goals to different aspects of our business, as needed. Since it has started we have always delivered a bonus and on more than one ocassion have paid out at 110, and 120 percent due to performance.

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

It's been a very difficult year for any number of industries including the one in which I work. But - this is actually just good news to hear, particularly for front line workers. Thanks for posting it. It's always good to hear that people can be capable of making a difference. There's plenty of ways to be cynical, but good news is good news.

imwjl likes this.
  15. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Our morale is in the dumps. Much of it a direct result of poor management.

We've been working mandatory overtime since before Christmas. In a big hurry to work ourselves out of a job, it seems. Now that it is complete, there is no new work and no new contracts behind what we have now. We have to be 100% billable, so I'm expecting most of us to go home.

Management has yet to tell us what their intention is. There was an ominous board meeting this morning and a "mandatory staff meeting" scheduled for tomorrow at 10am.

The traditional way of "firing" someone here [at my company] is sending them home because "there's no work for them" and starving them out until they quit.

I've got a few irons in the fire for myself, but man it would be nice to know if they are planning to lay us off or furlough us or fire us. Many of my colleagues (thankfully not me anymore) are single breadwinners for their families.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Notes above remind me that it's "easy" to go w/ bonuses in the fat-times; to me, the more significant measure of decency is what happens when "belt-tightening"is the call for the day.
    Kinda like the idea that you find out who is a really good sailor when the weather is really bad. . .
    Let's keep this thread upright.
    Peace - Deeve

Despres and ukepicker like this.
  17. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Very True. Thanks, Deeve.

How "tight-belt" times are handled might be an interesting topic of discussion for the interviews in my possibly upcoming job search. I can think of at least a few very specific questions I'll plan on asking.

18. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I Guarantee the OP doesn't work in Florida.

ce24 and Rocky058 like this.
  19. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

When I started work in the late 70's we had a department called Welfare, it was later renamed Personnel followed by Human Resources. The name says it all really. I stayed there 38 years, but did not enjoy, or give of my best, for the last two or three.

20. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

It's rare. The best employer is yourself. That's why I won't work for anyone ever again.

ukepicker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.