Good distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bear04, May 26, 2013.

1. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

My OD pedal is a TS9. Currently my distortion pedal is a Boss OS-2 which is good as an overdrive pedal but I don't like it as a distortion pedal. I am trying to find a distortion pedal that has a good, heavy sound but does not sound like a 'buzzsaw'. I use to have a Boss DS-1 that lasted for 2 weeks before I got rid of it for that exact reason. I hate the way some distortion pedals lose all the bottom end and sound really thin. I have been looking at the MXR Distortion III on youtube and have been considerining checking it out. But the reviews on it say it's more of an OD pedal than distortion.

What is a good suggestion for what I'm looking for? Maybe I'm not thinking this out right and maybe I'm not a fan of distortion? Maybe I just need a heavier sounding OD pedal?

2. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

Tried muff pi?
    And just general observation: a lot of low end sounds good in a bedrom, but in a band situation it just doesn't cut:cool:

3. Outspan79

Outspan79 Tele-Meister

You can't go wrong with a Rat.

The virtues of the rat have been discussed in many a thread on every guitar site that's ever been, so I'll keep my reply short and sweet.

A good rat will cover everything from mild overdrive, distortion to fuzz at its most extreme settings.

You could pick up a used rat for reasonable money and sell it for what you paid if it doesn't suit you.

4. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

How about boosting your amps OD with the pedal? What are you using?

5. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

If you've got the scratch try wampler's sovereign, pinnacle, or plextortion. If you don't like any of those... you don't like distortion. Personally I like the MXR 78 custom B.A.D., but other tone connoisseurs say I sound like I'm playing a fart simulator. :rolleyes: rat and visual sound son of hyde could be up your alley.

6. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Second this...^

7. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

TS9 in front of a Rat is lead tone heaven. For $40-$60 bucks used, you really can't go wrong. When you get it, just keep the Filter knob above 1:00 and you'll keep the buzzsaw sound away.

8. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

I think you might be on to something. Some guitar players are not fans of "distortion" pedals. And there's certainly nothing wrong with "stacking" 2 overdrive pedals. I'd suggest trying the OS-2 as the overdrive pedal, and the TS9 as the distortion pedal.

9. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

There are many important factors to consider. What amp are you using? How are you running your amp? What kind of guitar are you playing? what kind of music are you playing and how much gain are you looking for?

The more gain you're using through your amp the less distortion you'll probably need from your pedal. You may just need a good overdrive pedal.

Through a clean amp, I like my Wampler Triple Wreck. I don't usually run my amps clean though and thus think overdrive pedals boosting my amp's overdrive sound better.

I recommend something like a Rat or a Fulltone OCD as I find they work well through clean or dirty amps.

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

11. fenderguy72

fenderguy72 Tele-Meister

I'd recommend a MXR Badass 78 distortion. I replaced my OD-3 with it. It gives me that extra crunch with alot more to be dialed in. And ya can't beat the $80 price tag.

Attached Files:

12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I too am looking for a distortion pedal; will be watching this thread. My caveat is, it must sound cranked Marshallesque thru an already somewhat crunchy amp. I play a Dr.Z Z28 210 combo I set at 10-12-2. Its OD crunchy with my LP, and I boost it with my old FD2. Sounds amazing! But, not 80s-90s hard rock/metal. I do not want to touch a knob on either Z28 or FD2.

13. t.e.l.e.

t.e.l.e. Tele-Meister

+1 RAT = smoother sounding (od/distortion)

+1 OCD = more vintage crunch

14. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

The best distortion pedal I've ever used. From smooth overdrive to fuzz filth, the Rat can do it all.

15. beyondhappy

beyondhappy Tele-Meister

+1

16. mrspag

mrspag Tele-Meister

I recently went on a mad search for the "perfect" distortion pedal. I wanted a pedal that can handle anything from 80s hair band to modern hard rock like chicken foot. After trying many pedals (rat, 78 badass, pinnacle, ds-1, satchurator, OCD, fuzz face, and others) I was blown away by the Wampler Soverign. It has AMAZING tone and range when running through a tube amp. The neck pickup gets that great tube break up singing tone when soloing, the rhythm is crunchy with great growl and sustain, and it has so many options because of the mid range nob and the 2 stages of gain. Best distortion pedal I've played. It plays well with both single and humbuckers. I run it in front if either a Vox AC15 or 30.

It also cleans up well with the volume knob. The pedal also has tremendous range. With the gain down and the volume up you get a great blues, mellow rock tone and with the gain up and the boost switch up you can play Maiden.

There are some great reviews of it I you tube.

17. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I love the Boss ST-2 Power Stack...very amp-like...cleans up great...excellent range...decent price tag...totally my sound.

18. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

Rat for just being generally well priced, usable, durable, classic - good pedal.

I don't have one on my board though, for some reason. I have one of these fellows:

[​IMG]

19. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Yeah, RAT

Some of the BEST guitar tones I've ever heard were 196? Gretsch 6120 -> Rat -> 196? Blackface Twin Reverb

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.