1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good Cheap Pedal Power Supply?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chimey1, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Kozmyk

Kozmyk TDPRI Member

They could be Isolating Transformers.
    Hard to tell from the pic.

2. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Just an update...I cancelled the EHX Silencer. I'm amazed but I don't need a noise gate. After all that time with one always on in my Boss GT100 multi effects unit, I even tuned it off in that. As long as my living room dimmer lights aren't on, both that and my new cheap power supply/pedal setup are quiet. I'm good. For now. Need. More. Pedals. :D (I don't, lol) I'm good.

3. J.E.M.

J.E.M. Tele-Meister

After reading through this thread I realize this may seem a bit excessive, but after years of wall wart powered supply issues and a couple weeks of reading, I came up with this, it has two separate circuits (9v power supply side cost <$100 in parts).

Leaving out the robrob "brownbox" circuit and talking about the 9vdc supply circuit -

It's a Hammond 166m16 120v / 16vac (3amp) transformer into fullwave bridge rectifier (4x IN4007 diodes)

Across 4 x 330uf (in parallel) electrolytic filter caps

Into one of five LM7809 voltage regulators on a heatsink, each one backed up by .33uf and .1uf capacitors

This one has 5 outputs each at 600ma each, I recently made another that has 15 outputs, 12 @9vdc and 3 @18vdc using a 24vdc Hammond transformer.

They both run dead quite and I hope are built to last.

Here's the floor model with "Brown Box" voltage reducer -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's one of these power supplies built into this board which I just recently finished, the owner who had run these same pedals on a couple of brick-type supplies for years said as soon as he turned on this new setup every pedal sounded better, to the point he had to reconsider all his default settings, which I was actually surprised to hear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

That is ridiculous and totally unnecessary.

I want it.

5. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Yes it can....They thought of everything...great power supply. Buy two for what one of the others cost

6. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Boss BCB-6 (about $180) comes with internal power supply and power cable daisy chain for 6 pedals and a tuner. The 6 pedal version plus tuner one I got is very quiet. There's also a 3 pedal version and I think Boss has a 9 pedal version now. Pedoboard2.jpg

7. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power is top notch also. VoodooLabPedalPower.jpg

8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I just put a DMM on negative of each input and got no continuity. I haven't opened the cheap plastic casing, and not sure that I intend to either. It's isolated enough for my purposes. I like it.

9. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Also with that flat surface if you had to mount it on the top with your pedals you could actually use it for a riser and mount a pedal on top of it, although you’re going to lose that artwork ha!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.