1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good Cheap Pedal Power Supply?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chimey1, Feb 23, 2021.

1. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

All of them, including El Capistan and Wampler Ego. I only use 6 pedals, but sometimes 5 of them at once.

2. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

@JuneauMike

I hit up the Sweet Foot guy today with some questions. Bottom line is that the supplies are fully isolated and they include a warranty for life.

Before finding out that last point I asked whether the individual modules could be practically replaced by the user in case something fails and if he provided replacement modules. He said that he is adding some things to the modules, so they aren't really practically replaceable by the user. I also asked if the voltages are internally adjustable, and he said that the modules are for a given voltage, not adjustable.

I'm sold. Just have to figure out what voltages I might need down the line before ordering one.

JuneauMike likes this.
  3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I wish I needed a power supply. The Hitchhikers Guide one is hella-cool.
    Crap.

I'm rethinking the way I look at these isolated power supplies. If you can find one that's got plenty of current available in each port, then even a cheap 5-channel one would likely be more than adequate to run 10+ pedals. If you run into noise in one of the outputs, then just find the culprit and adjust the individual daisy chains until the noise is gone. You don't need isolated power for all of your pedals, you only really need it for the noisy ones.

That Strymon Ojai is about $150 bucks new and it's got 500mA in each output. I played in church last Sunday with five pedals that I don't think added up to 200mA, and they ran quietly through that cheapo power supply I posted earlier in this thread. I could have run them all from one output on that Strymon.

I probably need isolated power for two pedals, tops. All the rest behave very well with whatever power they get. Maybe three, but probably not.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  4. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

If you’re not playing live, Don’t rule out the simplicity of an AC power strip with associated “wall warts”. Not the sexiest option, but its cheap ( especially if you already have the 9v power adapters ), and it often provides just as much amperage and clean power as the pedalboard supplies.

For a ready to go unit, I like CIOKS...especially the Eventide branded ones because you can often get them for less money,

but the best of the best for me was building my own. I bought the hospital grade power supplies off Amazon and installed them in a Hammond box complete with IEC jack and power switch.

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Did you do a build thread?

6. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I have a looper that definitely needs isolation, a reverb which surprisingly stays pretty quiet but is a touch noisier than my analog pedals (low level whine), a delay that is randomly noisy, a tremolo with a digital lfo that can be somewhat noisy, and now another reverb on the way (doh!). So I think an isolated supply would be a good idea. All the analog pedals are as quiet as they're probably going to get, each having a little low level hiss. I'm likely going to add some more pedals in the future too, so I might as well get a good isolated supply with plenty of outputs so that I don't have to patch things in and out and run a hodgepodge of supplies. Then when I get it all together nice and neat, I'll decide that I hate pedals again and put it all in a closet.

JuneauMike likes this.
  7. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Chimey1 likes this.
  8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

9. Grodad

Grodad Tele-Meister

Do you mean something like this:https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/joyo-jp05-rechargeable-isolated-power-supply-brick/15206

Rechargeable, battery powered, multiple isolated outlets, no daisy chain, mixture of power draw, cheap.

These things have been out a while, it makes me wonder why people are paying more for something plug in with less ports when you can go can go battery pack (or plug it in). Or am I missing something?

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

I use a Donner 2 amp power supply with a triple daisy chain, powering 13x 9v pedals, with no buzz. So I can confidently say that, at least for some of us, the power supply quest is complete hype.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  11. GTRANIMAL

GTRANIMAL TDPRI Member

Ive been looking into the Caline Iron Horse and Joyo products. They mame some power supplies that are also tuners. Great for a grab and go or limited space use. I'm looking at some mini pedals that can get me close to what my regular rig is like and use a Joyo tuner/power supply.

Chimey1 likes this.
  12. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

I've looked at the tuners too and may get one, Caline or Joyo...I really like the idea...to put on a small board

I recieved the inexpensive $25 Hiree 10 input yesterday and it seems to work quiet and fine for now with my minimalist setup (2 overdrives and Amercian Sound...my reverb/delay will be here tomorrow) It is small (black no graphics, led off switch make it inconspicuous) and light as well.

13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a pair of cheap Donner bricks under my board. One could do the job per published specs, but they're cheap enough to buy 2 for redundancy, so I did. I load them evenly.

Coffeemutt likes this.
  14. GoodAugust

GoodAugust TDPRI Member

Good and cheap are often not in the same sentence when it comes to music gear.

Cheap and effective -within reason- would be one or two 1Spot's and an 8 & 5 spot daisy chain. Where the 8 is good for all analog pedals, and the 5 is good for all digital pedals. Separating the two helps eliminate the mixing/generating noise issues usually. I strongly believe any of the non isolated 8 spot bricks do more to create noise than this method.

Good and effective: and of your Voodoo Labs, Cioks, Truetone CS will be money well spent. I do not believe everyone needs a Strymon power supply. It's great, but also the price of any two of the listed above.

You're method, preparations, and investment are the key factors in effectively powering while mitigating noise generated... and in some cases with areas of bad electric, you'll always have a bit of bad nose but you do what you can to keep that to a minimum.

Good luck!

15. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

You don't want to cheap out on a power supply. Look for ones that have a three prong power cable as those typically are better designed and are isolated

16. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Super cheap? Get a one spot daisy. If you want affordable quality go with their power supply. Has the newest technology and cheaper than most brand names.

17. djhblues

djhblues TDPRI Member

I have the Caline on my mini board on its perfect-no issues at all. Highly recommend it. Works perfect for my needs F3D04C58-EE13-45C1-A43A-6B5A0C311D0C_1_201_a.jpeg

18. jimi00

jimi00 TDPRI Member

Sorry to rain on your party, but these are not linear circuits, they look like switching power transformers. They will probably power your pedals, but you’re in store for a very noisy experience. But then again, I don’t really know what I’m talking about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.