1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good Cheap Pedal Power Supply?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chimey1, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Flaps

Flaps TDPRI Member

I have a Boss tuner and it lets you daisy chain directly from that so that's what I do. I a power pack going into that and a Boss daisy chain coming out. Not had any issues so far.

Chimey1 likes this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you are powering less than 6 or 7 analog pedals, just daisy chain off a one spot. Isolation is only useful for multiple high draw digital pedals in my experience. Onespots are cheap and they work great and they don't take up any board real estate.

Marc Morfei, Tim S and Chimey1 like this.
  3. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

At those prices, I doubt you're actually getting isolated outputs. Thus the "noisier". I paid $100+ for a One Spot Pro and when I had the cover off to mount it to my pedal board, I could see that each channel had it's own mini torroidal transformer and filtering. No noise whatsoever and a couple of pedals sounded noticably better. Digital delay and compressors in particular like lots of clean, unpolluted power.

Chimey1 likes this.
  4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

The CP-04 I have definitely is not isolated, although like many other Chinese power supplies it is often described as being isolated. It's fine for most pedals, but some are pretty noisy running off of it with other pedals, notably digital pedals. I just got a Boss RC-3 in and it works fine with the Caline and my analog pedals, but when I add other digital pedals it starts getting that digital whine thing going on.

Are you running all your pedals off of the One Spot Pro or just digital ones?

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    TheDavis likes this.
  6. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Just did a little reading at TGP on that guy's power supplies. Apparently he is using a bunch of super cheap switching supply modules (like the sort from ebay for a couple bucks each) in the same housing. Whether that is bad or good, who knows? Maybe bigger companies are using something similar, or not?

7. JuneauMike

Not sure what that means. His site says that each output is isolated using its own transformer. Is TGP saying that that's not the case?

Postscript: I read a TGP thread from 2016 where a lot of people who know nothing about what they are talking about were skeptical of it and one mildly grumpy guy who apparently knows something about power supplies weighed in on how it was probably built. Interesting read, but not very illuminating.

I wish I could see a gut shot of these for my own curiosity. Anyway, grist for the mill. And as always, buyer beware.

8. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Got a link to his site? I only see a Reverb page.

Also see: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ience-with-sweet-foot-power-supplies.1680355/

Probably should just hit him up on Reverb and ask some questions. But his description does say:

JuneauMike likes this.
  9. JuneauMike

It's the second link. Below the pic.

10. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

My only real reservation here is someone at TGP mentioning (in the second link above) that he bought one and it started whining after a while, not in the audio chain, but from the housing.

11. JuneauMike

Did you read the whole thread?

Also, yeah hit him up and let folks know what he says.

I have two power supplies (one isolated, one that says it is but it says it with a heavy Chinese accent, so no) and a third on the way ($40 bucks just to see what's inside. I've done dumber things, ha.). So I'm good as far power bricks go.

But it would be great if folks had options beyond the crazy expensive Strymon, Voodoo Labs, MXR gang who come out with a new and improved module that cost more than last year's model. I just find it hard to believe that in 2021 this tech isn't cheaper than it is.

12. JuneauMike

Not following this. Can you explain? (only thing I know about power supplies is transformer good, not transformer not good :lol:).

24 track likes this.
  13. JuneauMike

I think your power supply will be more than adequate to power your pedals. Check this list.
    http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

Chimey1 and trxx like this.
  14. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Word.

And yea, I read the whole of those threads. I don't know much about this stuff.

I didn't intend to get into pedals too much, so I bought a cheapy Caline CP-04 just to run a few things on occasion. But I'm getting into the pedal thing lately and dealing with noise from a couple of digital pedals. The Sweet Foot supply might be a good option here.

15. JuneauMike

Hmm. You could probably manage that line noise for a lot less than $120, if its just a couple of pedals. I saw this thing the other day and was curious about it. It's cheap and possibly free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0871RCDCC/?tag=tdpri-20

blocker.jpg

It's Joyo, so you can pretty much guarantee two things:
    1. It's lying about what it is
    2. That it actually probably works really great for the price.

TwoBear and trxx like this.
  16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

it does not have a wall wart to power the unit it uses a straight A/C to the wall making power block more stable ( I'm not fond of wallwarts ), when you think that all the power out for the power block is off a wallwart then there is a strong possibility of burning the wallwart out and they may not be easy to replace.

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I am using a Donner at the moment and it seems to be holding out well with no noticeable problems. I am sure that it is not a sophisticated as a Voodoo Labs, but so far doing the job.

18. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

That Joyo ZGP thing might be useful for my looper. But the Boss PSA-120S will most assuredly get rid of the noise. Or an isolated supply. I think I'm going to hit up the Sweet Foot guy. Good find there JuneauMike.

What I'm wondering here is since he is using individual supply modules if they would likely be easily replaceable in case one goes bad.

19. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

This has been working for me. I've got ten pedals including 2 digital running on a simple OneSpot with two spider legs.

Old Plank likes this.
  20. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

Electro harmonix is releasing a new power supply that supply’s 10 pedals... would probably be a cheaper option compared to styrmon or voodoo.

I bought a Amooon (I think that’s the name) from Amazon works fine. 8 ports at 9v 500mv. I did notice a little extra hum but nothing crazy. I use a noise suppressor on low anyways so I don’t hear it when it’s turned on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.