1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good Cheap Pedal Power Supply?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chimey1, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Mosky that's similar to all of the Amazon cheapies. It's done its thing fine, but it is a bit noisy particularly with more than one pedal in the drive chain on. Thinking about taking the plunge on a proper isolated power supply here.

24 track likes this.
  2. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have had the Caline for several years now with no issues. Caline is decent quality for the money and that includes their pedals as well

Doctorx33 likes this.
  3. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

SbS and Blue Bill like this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Can someone with some knowledge of the power supply circuit comment on this. Taken right off Amazon's page.

hiree.jpg

Those sure look like individual transformers to me. How is that possible for $40? They say it weighs 7 ounces. Hmm. (Regardless, this power supply looks great, I may even buy one just to have it.).

5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

6. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

They do look like transformers. Doesn’t seem to be a uk version.

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the Caline. I have 9 pedals on it, and it works flawlessly.

8. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I saw that today too. Looks like a transformer on every output. That would make those outputs isolated unless something funky is going on. If you pick one up let us know if the outputs test to be isolated and if the thing is noisy. I'll keep rockin my cheapo Caline for now.

9. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

@JuneauMike - Those look more like solid state voltage regulators to me. Not familiar with the product, pictures on the internet, etc. Could be mistaken.

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Looks like Caline just came out with a new one. I can't find it for sale.anywhere tho. I wonder if its truly isolated? Probably not?

Caline CP-207 Isolated Power Supply

http://www.calinemusic.com/products/powersupply/262.html

Welcome using this transparent DC multi power supply, This power supply gives you visual sense of beauty and clear indication of power.
    The power supply has 10 outputs for powering a variety of different effects including Drum effect, multi effect and digital delay pedals.

The Circuit has anti-ground noise and anti-interference treatment,to give you a 100% clear sound.

Each output is independent and with short circuit protection which is indicated by the LED lights.

When it is giving power the light is on, If a circuit failure occurs the light will go out.

USB port 5V 2A is ideal for charging cell phones or tablet PC
    10 Outputs:

5 outputs 9V DC @ 100mA
    2 outputs 9V DC @ 300mA
    1 output 9V DC @ 500mA
    1 output 12V DC @ 300mA

1 output 18V DC @ 300mA

Input:18V 1.5A
    Power: 18W

upload_2021-2-23_18-19-24.png

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

12. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone I just ordered the Hiree 10 pedal supply in my OP for $25. I'm sick of looking at power supplies. Lol

I was tempted by the $40 Hiree with the pic that may or may not be truly isolated but the descriptions for both are the same, so who knows. (I can always upgrade to something else later on. I probably would've ordered the newer Caline CP-207 if it were available. And, I may still at some point.

This Hiree will hopefully work to get me up and running.

p.s. I almost went with that Gokko mini 6 input or the smaller 7 input Hiree just to try to keep this from getting out of control...but what's the fun in that? :D

JuneauMike likes this.
  13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I ended up getting the $40 power supply, just to see what happens.

Alex_C and Chimey1 like this.
  14. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

It give power for a pedal or three from two isolated outputs. It has a battery, so i don’t have to run the power cord. I will admit it is limited in its uses, but I use mine quite a bit. Quieter than a one spot, small, portable. But you are correct, on a price per output basis, and in total power, not real impressive.

JuneauMike likes this.
  15. Coffeemutt

Coffeemutt Tele-Meister

I also had a Donner DP-1 that worked great. Our house is pretty new, so the wiring is pretty quiet anyway. My wife got me a rechargeable BoxKing pedal board, so I gave the Donner to my daughter - otherwise I would still be using it.

16. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

they may be transfprmers but it looks like individual voltage regulators mounted to heatsinks ( on the blow up view ), should be 7809,7812 positive voltage regulators for the 7X9volt @100ma and 12 volt @100ma outs there is also a 9 Volt 500 ma and an 18 volt 100ma out , the caps are filters to help smooth out any fluctuations

one thing i dont understand is how easy it would be to put polarity switches on each output as alot of pedals are negative tip power , I'm not sure how good the isolation would be for the individual outs, but for 40 bucks ........

this unit actually has a built in powersupply to feed the 120Volt and broken down to the individual ports , using a rectifier and filter caps in the mains , rather than using an 18 volt wall wart , that should be considerably more stable.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Urshurak776 and JuneauMike like this.
  18. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

I have that Caline 3 years. No prob at all

Attached Files:

Chimey1 likes this.
  19. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have one of the cheap units broadly similar to the Caline/Joyo/Whatever ones that claim to be isolated etc etc. The supplied wart was atrocious. Switching noise and spikes that made it through to any pedal attached. I used to own a Dell laptop as a 'field' laptop. It died, but its 18V lives on, powering the power supply.
    They're OK. The short/over-current may come in useful. The LED illumination certainly does, but why is it blue?. warm white/yellow or amber would be a better choice for a dark stage.
    I use the 18V to power a Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, the 12V to power a Behringer VT999 and the 9V high current for a Valv-E-Tiser. Other pedals just get attached as, where and when needed. Original wart noise aside, it's been one of those things that's just fit, connect, forget for me.

Chimey1 likes this.
  20. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

The Hiree power supply I have coming has:

9V 100mA port x 7, 9V 500mA port x 1, 12V 100mA port x 1, 18V 100mA port x 1

Some of the other power supplies i looked at have a couple 9V 300mA ports.
    Should i be worried that I'll need those? For what? I just want to put together a small 5-7 analog pedal board...(no, really... :D)

So, what I'm concerned about, do reverb, delay, or chorus/vibe/trem/rotary pedals generally require more than 9V 100mA draw?

The Biyang Tri-Reverb pedal I'm looking at says 9V 97mA so I should be good on one of the 100mA's there, right?

I guess I just want to make sure my new (healthy, lol) pedal obsession isn't limited by my power supply.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.