1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good Cheap Pedal Power Supply?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chimey1, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

What's everyone using that works - cheap? This is for a new hobby of mine, budget pedal board.. I figure since I'm going crazy researching pedals and stuff I may as well make a few new threads with all my questions. Thanks!

Any reason not to just get the cheapest Hiree 10 pedal power supply for $25 to get me started, or Caline for $38, MIMIDI $30? I mean these are all pretty much the same thing, right? Ok, the Hiree is plastic, but so are my power strips so...

MIMIDI Guitar Pedal Power Supply, 10 DC Output Pedal Board Power for 9V/12V/18V 100mA 500mA Effect Pedal with Short Circuit Protection and Overcurrent Protection
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F7SM4C9/?tag=tdpri-20

Hiree Guitar Pedal Power Supply Adapter Station Distributor 10 Isolated DC Output for 9V/12V/18V Effect PedalBoard with 4 AC Outlet for Charging Speaker, Musical Instruments
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S68CXJD/?tag=tdpri-20

Caline Guitar Pedal Power Supply 10 Isolated DC Output for 9V/12V/18V, 100mA 300mA 500mA Effect Pedal with Short Circuit/Overcurrent Protection CP-04
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMRQVPN/?tag=tdpri-20

BSG1 and stormsedge like this.
  2. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

One Spot is cheap and adequate. I prefer Voodoo Lab tho.

bcorig, magic smoke, gitlvr and 6 others like this.
  3. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I have one that looks exactly like the first one on your Amazon list, but with a different name on it, that I use for my travel kit and it works fine. Not what I have for home use though.

noparadise and Chimey1 like this.
  4. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

After years of messing with daisy chains and a slightly buzzy board that I always thought was not that bad, I got a Pedal Power 2 Plus and wish I'd gotten one years ago.

5. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Out of your list I’d pick the Caline because I’ve actually heard the brand name before. There’s a lot of weird off-brand crap on Amazon these days.

I use a BBE Supa-Charger myself. It’s a clone of the Voodoo Lab PP2. I’ve had two One Spots die on me at bad moments; if you decide to go the daisy chain route, I’d suggest a Godlyke Powerall instead.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    benderb9 and Chimey1 like this.
  6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

emisilly, noparadise, Thorne and 6 others like this.
  7. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

I power all my live pedal board rig via a Donner DP-3 ISO-8 power supply, clone/competition of voodoo labs PP2. Zero issues after many many gigs and rehearsals very flexible with different milliampere and voltage outputs, it is just rock solid and quiet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073W7JCJP/?tag=tdpri-20

Kozmyk, thechad and Chimey1 like this.
  8. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I play at home. I have many pedals. I use the Hiree you listed--no issues and the electrical outlets on the top are handy for a daisy chain...AND two Donner DP-1s that are dead ringers for the Joyo @OlRedNeckHippy posted above. No issues with any of them. I have one digital pedal that doesn't play nice with anything else---I cured it by banishing it to the "drawer of shame". A good place to start in my opinion.

Chimey1 likes this.
  10. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I have been using a Caline. It cost around $30. It works fine, but some pedals seem to be noisier with it, especially digital pedals.

JuneauMike likes this.
  11. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I use this guy for a small pedal board that I keep in my living room.

pedal.jpg

I think I bought it for $20. It's about the size of a Altoids container and does the job very well. The name brand really doesn't matter since so much of this stuff is rebranded Asian products.

It's not isolated power, but then again I don't need isolated power for the pedals I run. I soldered up a couple of these adaptors as emergency isolated power supplies (I've used this board in church), but I haven't used them yet:

battery.jpg

@Chimey1, I'd have no reservations about buying that Hiree power supply. It looks like it would do the job for years to come. In fact yours is really cool in that it has plugs for independent 1Spot 9v power supplies on the case itself should you encounter a noisy pedal (digital pedals can be noisy).

Chimey1 likes this.
  12. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

TrueTone OneSpot Pro CS7. It quieted my rig considerably without breaking the bank, and I haven't had the first complaint about it. It's my first quality, isolated power supply...and if it ever fails I'll get another.

No more daisy chains for me--I'm a believer. Wall warts are for single pedals.

telepraise likes this.
  13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've been using a Volto rechargable for a few years, zero complaints.

volto.jpeg

14. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Just a simple OneSpot for me, with daisy chain .... I rarely am using more than 4 pedals, and most often 3.

15. JuneauMike

I don't really understand these things. A Voodoo Labs 2 isolated power supply costs about $180 and has eight outputs. So that's about $22 per output. The Volto 3 is $100 and has two outputs. Doesn't seem like a bargain to me. What benefit does it give?

E5RSY likes this.
  16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hi Mike, The PS came with two wires, each has four output plugs, in a daisy chain arrangement, so the power supply is designed to run 8 pedals. It cuts down on wiring a bit, not having 8 separate wires to run. Also, I often remove the PS from the velcro to charge it in the car, on the way to practice, so having only 2 wires to plug/unplug is convenient.

It takes about an hour to charge from dead to full, lasts me for a 3-set gig; about 5 hours. Less if I'm using the Wah a lot. It works fine to plug it in while you are playing, no noise. I got it used for $60.

17. JuneauMike

Ok, so you are still using it in a daisy chain arrangement. That makes total sense for most of the pedals people run. And the source of the power is still a battery. Kinda cool.

I wish there was a cheap alternative to the Gigrig system of power distribution. Seems like maybe a modified version of these battery packs might be a way to crack that nut eventually. You know, a main power plant, with remote distributors that can grow and expand as the pedal board does. Only without the high price and crazy inefficient approach that GigRig uses. (every time I see that guy build a pedal board I scratch my head. "Wait, this is just a bunch of daisy chains with a few isolators thrown in here and there, right?")

MadMax25 likes this.
  18. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

cheap? everybody has a bucket of old wall warts right? sometimes you have to switch ends or polarity but thats what I used when I only had a couple pedals. got a 1 spot now

19. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Those cheap Amazon pedal power supplies all claim to be isolated and shielded. They all make noise. Plus most have one 18v and all the rest 9v. I used the Donner for a while. It was ok for what I was doing at the time. But eventually I needed a better supply.

20. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

My understanding is that you really only need the expensive true isolation VooDoo Labs kind of stuff if you're running multiple high-current (hundreds of mA) digital pedals.

If you're going for a cheap pedalboard, I assume you won't have any of those expensive digital pedals on it. Stick with the OneSpot daisy chain from GC. I saw no difference in my affordable board that had a tuner, 2-3 ODs, compressor, delay, and a chorus. I returned the VooDoo Labs power supply (kept the sticker muahaha!) and the OneSpot has performed perfectly ever since.

I guess some good general advice is always try the affordable stuff first. You'd be surprised how much information out there is just marketing BS, trust your own experience above all else.

JuneauMike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.