1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Good budget clean tone guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by kokoshmusun, Oct 13, 2012.

1. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun Tele-Meister

Just sold a Yamaha RGX A2 and I'm looking for some models to research. I play singer/songwriter stuff and might do solo shows. I'm not a very discerning guitarist, just looking for a sweet clean tone. I like the tele tone, but they are expensive (I'm considering the budget versions, MIM and Squier). That's pretty much the only guitar I can identify when I hear it.

I've also spotted a Peavey Generation EXP with Piezo, looks like good value.

If there are a good clean-tone guitar models you know, please share them. Specs are wide open, exact budget is hard to specify because I live abroad and prices are different here, but roughly, I don't want to spend more than 500 USD.

Thanks much!

2. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Most decent guitars can sound good clean. Clean tone has more to do with amp settings than the guitar.

And MIMs are not budget versions, they are mid-range.

3. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun Tele-Meister

MIM used is in my range, so it fits MY budget. My amp is a Laney Cub 10, I'm happy with it. What are YOUR favorite "decent guitars" then? This would help me more...

4. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

You should take a look at that Peavey Generation you mentioned. Peavey guitars are usually much better than the price suggests. Good luck with your search.

5. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Any electric guitar sound is a combination of the guitar, the amp, and whatever's between them in the signal chain (effect pedals, etc.) As Colchar said, a clean, or undistorted sound has much more to do with the amp than the guitar. Distortion results when the amplifier gets overloaded, just like if you turn up a small radio all the way. Higher wattage amps and bigger speakers tend to produce cleaner sounds at higher volumes.

Your best bet is to go to a shop and try as many different guitars in your budget as you can. Bring along your amp, use it to try them out, but once you've narrowed it down, try some different amps and note how your top choices sound on each of them.

One more piece of advice that I wish I'd known when I bought my first guitar: almost any guitar can be made to play easily without buzzing, and stay in tune at all positions on the neck. All it takes is the proper adjustments. These adjustments are called a "setup," and depending on how good you are with technical things, you may be able to do it yourself. Or you can find a good guitar tech, repair guy, or luthier, and pay them to do it. In any case, it's well worth your time or money.

Remember that most instruments in shops have not been setup properly, but can be. So don't make your decision based on things like playability that can be easily fixed. Instead, choose based on budget, sound, looks, and other factors that can't be changed, but save $100 or so for the setup. You'll end up with a much better overall instrument than if you spend all your money on a more expensive guitar without a setup.

As for specific models, you seem interested in a Mexican Tele, so I'd start there. They are good guitars, and well liked. There are literally thousands of guitars in your price range, but I don't know what's available to you locally. What else are you seeing in your local shop? If something seems good, post a thread about that specific model, and see what folks have to say.

Have fun, and good luck finding your guitar!

6. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun Tele-Meister

Thanks all. Tarnisher: sure, I definitely get my guitar set up when I first buy it, and once in a while afterwards.

7. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Check out the ESP LTD guitars. I've found some of them to be great players for what they cost.

8. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

The high end Squiers and MIMs are awesome. Although...I prefer the Squiers. I'd avoid those Peavey EXP things. I bought one once because it was cheap and looked cool. Was lucky to get my money back selling it. Sounded like poo. The piezo was raspy and cheesy sounding. Like an electric guitar through one of those boss acoustic simulators.

9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Danelectro? Thomann have 'em- real cheap.......

10. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

i love my Squier Telecaster Custom with P90 pickups. fantastic guitar, beautiful clean tone...$250 new.

[​IMG]

11. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun Tele-Meister

The danelectro's are real cool looking, but they are almost nonexistent where I live, so it would be near impossible to find one to try and also to buy/sell 2nd hand. Too bad...

12. janglist

janglist Tele-Meister

I've never really seen people playing electric guitars for solo singer-songwriter stuff very often - Billy Bragg used to.

Are you sure you don't actually want an acoustic guitar of some sort?

13. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun Tele-Meister

I'll never be sure of anything, but I'm building a pedalboard at the same time, and that was one reason why I chose electric over acoustic. I want to experiment with some ambient sounds as well.

14. janglist

janglist Tele-Meister

Perhaps another good option if you're going down that route is a semi?

For your budget something like an Epiphone Dot Studio or use Epiphone Dot could be cool. I used to use an Epiphone Sheraton's neck pickup for strummy 'acoustic style' parts in a band setting and it worked well.

15. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

This is just my two cents and I haven't checked the thread to see what else has been suggested but I would look for something with single coils. Not so much because they sound better but just because they tend to be lower output and I know with even medium output humbuckers like the 490's in my SG headroom on small tube amps can be slim, single coils usually allow for a little more volume before breaking up.

16. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun Tele-Meister

Found a good deal and snatched a Squier VM Tele Custom. Thought I was getting the Custom II but it turned out it was a Custom. I don't know if there's a huge difference but well, I have my first Tele. Thanks for the recommendations....

17. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

Coolio. Pics, or it didn't happen! :)

18. gstrat59

gstrat59 TDPRI Member

probably get flamed for this one around here but I ordered a SX Furian P-90 tele copy thats plays and sounds pretty nice $110 delivered to my door I also have a MIM tele but the SX has a cleaner snappier twang

Attached Files:

19. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun Tele-Meister

I would be fine getting an SX or Xavier or whatever. The thing is, guitar are more expensive in my country here than in US. So I can't just order a $110 SX. This Squier I found was a really good deal because the guy was closing his shop. So I got it for about the price I would pay in the US.

I will post pics when I go home today...

20. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

the peavey is a GREAT guitar

sold one, only because Im building almost everything I play now, but it was a GREAT guitar

piezo sound good and tracked well!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.