Good Beginning Guitar Teacher in Laurel MD?

mfowler314

Tele-Meister
My nephew's wife lives in Laurel MD and is looking for a good guitar teacher in that area. I don't live there so I have no idea what is available and what is good.

She has been doing self learning for a year or so. I have no idea how much she has progressed but I'm guessing not that much. Right now she is considering lessons at Guitar Center and I suggested that there might be something better.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
There may be better/closer* options, but if he still teaches (site says yes), I took lessons briefly with Jack Mandley at Bill's in Catonsville when I came back to guitar in 2017. I can't say enough good things about him.

*Easy to get to from 95 or 295, but could be painful depending on time of day.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Bill's would likely be a good place to try.
You never know what you are going to get- but my experiences in the Laurel Guitar Center would not leave me optimistic. REALLY bad EVERY time. But that had nothing to do with lessons.
Personally, if I were looking for a one-on-one lesson resource, I would be looking for an individual, home teacher as opposed to a commercial retail outlet. And I would accept that it might take a while to find a good "fit"
In the past there have been signs posted around the area- (I used to work about 15min north of Laurel) -offering individual lessons in several styles and genres-
I swear the guy's name was Bill...

Anyway, the first question to ask, is what kind of style is the potential student interested in?
There was a classical instructor giving lessons in the area, but he was notoriously flakey. Had a disappearing act or something...
There is an Americana/Bluegrass presence in the general area, One could inquire about teachers if that is something of interest.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
I'd have Her get in touch with Eric Haugen,
He's all over YouTube so She can check
Him out there just by typing "Eric Haugen"
He works out of "True Fire" so You know
He's a good 'un.

mfowler314

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the suggestions. I've told my nephew about Bill's Music and Jack Mandley. And I saw that Bill's offers free lessons to veterans and their dependents, so that is good since my nephew is a vet.

lgherb

Tele-Meister
I recommend Tempee Warmack who can do zoom lessons from his home. I've taken lessons from Tempee and he is a very good teacher who emphasizes the layered relationship between chords, arpeggios, and scales to help unlock things. He's also a former Army Paratrooper and all around great guy.

Has she also looked at Anne Arundel Community College? They periodically offer beginner group lessons as non-credit classes. I don't know if they offer at the Arundel Mills campus, which might be better coming from Laurel than their Arnold campus.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Robert does Zoom too but in person would be better for a beginner. He also teaches one or two classes at community college. I’m not sure which one.