Good backup program for Mac

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by w3stie, Feb 28, 2016.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I'm looking for alternatives to time machine which gives me no control whatever over when it backs up. It simply kicks off every hour and slows everything else down. Thanks in advance for the suggestions; I know there are some knowledgeable Mac gurus on here.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I back up to an external drive, which I unplug after backing up. That pretty much stops it. ;)

3. Anando

Anando TDPRI Member

It says here how to turn off the hourly backup. http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/02/change-the-time-machine-backup-schedule/
    Or you could try to do it the old fashioned way, i.e. disconnect the external hard drive that's being used as your time machine backup.
    Having said that, the hourly thing should not be affecting your system performance at all, so there may be something else wrong.

4. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Get a PC :lol:

5. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

w3stie

See this recent Macworld article, "The complete, easy guide to backing up your Mac".

Article by Carbon Copy on How to prep an external HD

I use a 1Gb WD "Elements" for Time Mosheen and 1Gb WD "My Passport" for the boot clone. Approx $60 each. Don't spend the extra coin for a Mac formatted drive.

My Mac is over 5 yo. Got pro-active for saving my data using these tips.

The HD boot clone and Peer-2-Peer take a loooong time to complete. Watching paint dry is faster. Ha!

My P2P is a WD 3Tb "My Book" connected to my Win7 mosheen. Approx $100.

You will need to change the Mac settings to never go to standby when running these programs.

Cloud backup is my next step for saving my data.

"Cult of Mac" Cloud backup reviews

jaime

6. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

The problem with any third party backup program is that it can get obsolete fairly quickly and when the need arises you're sometimes out of luck.
    I copy (not backup) my data to usb drives very regularly and backup the whole system monthly.
    Copying data instead of using backup programs allows you to easily pick and choose what to restore. It also gives you a push in the right direction as far as being organized, deleting unnecessary files and keeping your computer clear of junk.
    Automatic backups, I have found, occassionally backup unwanted mistakes as well.
    The following is a reputable company and their disk image program is top notch and worth every penny. It even backs up the whole operating system to a disk image.
    There is an IOS version.

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

I also use their Hard drive tools contained in this one but I am unfamiliar with the Mac way of doing things in that department. It is a very dangerous program in the wrong hands. In the right hands, it is heaven sent. One can even manipulate the boot sector. I use it to completely reconfigure used computers to factory fresh (even the boot sector). I am not sure if it is mac compatible. One can create a bootable cd to run it and so it bypasses the operating system on a PC anyway. It is real nice for seting up a drive for a pain free Linux install. Macs and Linux were originally both based on the UNIX operating system. I would NOT recommend this program for anyone without their propeller cap on real tight.:

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/disk-manager/

Yes it costs money. You get what you pay for. Free stuff is worth exactly what you pay for it. Except for Linux and it's programs of course. ;)
    How much is your peace of mind worth?

7. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

SuperDuper from Shirt Pocket software. Amazing, bulletproof backups, great support, prompt updates for new OS versions.

I use it along with time machine, to different drives.

8. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I use time machine with a Seagate external drive. I tell time machine when to backup so I must have set this up some time ago.

Time machine worked perfectly when I replaced the stuffed hard drive with an SSD and reinstalled El Capitan and all my files.

9. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I rarely notice the performance hit with Time Machine myself, it doesn't seem to fire up if you are doing anything CPU intensive. I have a Time Capsule and like the simplicity and peace of mind of having continuous backups. But before I got that, I kept Time Machine turned off and only activated it when I plugged in an external drive.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable clones of my primary machine however. I also have a Mac Mini dedicated as an iTunes server. Carbon Copy does a clone of the media drive automatically late every night.

10. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

This is what I use, and it works perfectly.

11. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have to say I like Time Machine! I wish it was on my PC.

I have pretty fast (7200rpm) external drives on my Mini and MacBook that are dedicated for Time Machine, with no other devices on the same bus that also demand a lot of bandwidth, plus I have set the preferences so I exclude any cloud storage folders (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) that are also on my local system. I've never noticed it slowing things down with this configuration.

I used Super Duper to clone my system when moving to an SSD, but haven't paid for a full version. So far I haven't seen the need.

12. Chud

Yeah, the free version does everything that I have needed thus far.

13. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Having the need to restore from backup recently, I'm all for Time Machine.

I wouldn't use anything else these days and I've used both SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner in the past.

14. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I had reason to restore my entire HD using Time Machine recently and it worked flawlessly. I was a bit surprised at how easy and efficient it was.

I backup to two separate external drives and I can't say that I notice any hit to my mac's performance when it's doing its stuff. (i5 MacAir with 4GB RAM so it's not a fast machine by today's standards [tho' I do have an SSD])

I would investigate what else might be slowing your system before dumping Time Machine. It's very efficient and Apple keep it up to date.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Time Machine, eh?

Boy do I feel stupid.

Was using Carbonite on my Windows computer, but then got a Mac and transferred my Carbonite subscription to the Mac, then renewed it for three years. Oh well.

16. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

+1000

17. Chud

You know, CCC was the only thing that worked for me when I had a dying drive and some really bad sectors stuffing up SD and Time Machine. Forgot about that. CCC is definitely good as well.

Heck, they all do the job really for the most part.

18. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

They are both good but for different reasons/purposes. CCC and SuperDuper! are great for creating a bootable clone that can have you back up and running in a matter of seconds or minutes; Time Machine is good for keeping a history of files that you may accidentally delete. I would not use Time Machine to do a full recovery because it is simply too slow; OTOH CCC/SuperDuper! are no good if you accidentally elite a file that you really need back, and you have done a backup since you deleted it. Different tools for different jobs.

19. rdonahue

rdonahue Tele-Meister

SuperDuper for local bootable backups.
    Arq for remote backups to Amazon Glacier S3.
    Very easy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.